Your demands for ROTF

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: Your demands for ROTF

Post by Gomess »

Sparky Prime wrote:Mirror universes are always fun.
You've either seen too many of them, and gotten happily used to the idea, or not enough, and have no idea how mind-numbing a cliche it is. =p I'm guessing the first.

Fair play, either way, but I'm tired of the malaise that has struck the fringes of TF (and most) fiction, especially sequential art (comic books, whatever).

Animated has better stories than the EXCLUSIVE COMICS, and that's... a bit wrong, really.

I may make a No More Primes Or Megatrons sig.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Gomess wrote:
Sparky Prime wrote:Mirror universes are always fun.
You've either seen too many of them, and gotten happily used to the idea, or not enough, and have no idea how mind-numbing a cliche it is. =p I'm guessing the first.
How many times has Star Trek done a mirror universe episode? 8? And Voyager kinda did one with "Living Witness" as the crew were portrayed as evil war criminals... So yeah, I'd have to say I've used to the idea.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

While I'm far from familiar with Star Trek, I can believe it would be full of the things, yeah.

But I've never seen them as fun. Maybe, some day...? I dig Evil Goatees, I guess, in small doses.

What can I say? I'm a Character Driven guy. Probably explains why I've not been "into" the hobby as of late... >_>

Animated's alright, like. When it's *on*.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Gomess wrote:What can I say? I'm a Character Driven guy.
That's part of why I like the mirror universe stuff. You get used to seeing the characters portrayed a certain way, so it's really interesting to see them acting completely the opposite of what you expect.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Heh, the problem with mirror universes is, you know *exactly* what to expect. Treacherous Cyclonus, obedient Grimlock, etc etc.

My demands are simple: new characters! *Is banned*
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

While I will admit the TF mirror universe is actually kind of fun, despite the odds stacked firmly against it, I will say I'm in full ageement on them being a very tired concept. Exactly as G says, you know exactly what to expect - the same thing in reverse. By sheer definition, mirror universes aren't anything new, they rely on the audience's familiarity with the original material.

If they didn't, and were as interestingly carpeted as the original universe - if they didn't hinge on "Meet the evil versions of your favourite heroes, and the heroic versions of your favourite villains, and watch their regular selves get confused!" - they could have a lot more going for them. The Elseworlds approach vs. the Star Trek/Bizarro World approach.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

onslaught86 wrote:Exactly as G says, you know exactly what to expect - the same thing in reverse. By sheer definition, mirror universes aren't anything new, they rely on the audience's familiarity with the original material.
Not necessarily... Most mirror universe plots I've seen usually some some unexpected twists to it.