DC movie universe

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: DC movie universe

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:DC's managed to swing and miss with both Green Lantern and Superman so far, their track record isn't nearly as strong.
Man of Steel didn't do that bad actually. $291,045,518 at the box office ($668,045,518 world wide) which is pretty good numbers for a comic book film by comparison. And the Nolan Batman films did extremely well.
I'm pretty sure Jeff Geohns is incapable of writing a story where somebody doesn't get murdered. Usually violently. He also doesn't seem to understand how endings work, which is my big hang-up with him.
Not all of Geoff Johns stories are like that. No one died in Green Lantern Rebirth for an example. In fact, one character in-particular came back to life. :P
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote:Man of Steel didn't do that bad actually. $291,045,518 at the box office ($668,045,518 world wide) which is pretty good numbers for a comic book film by comparison. And the Nolan Batman films did extremely well.
Yeah, Man of Steel did well, and so did the Nolan Batman trilogy. Green Lantern didn't, but it's worth noting that the opening weekend wasn't too bad. The audience was there, they just didn't like the movie they went to see.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

As I understand it, Green Lantern did a lot better in DVD sales.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Sparky Prime wrote:Not all of Geoff Johns stories are like that. No one died in Green Lantern Rebirth for an example. In fact, one character in-particular came back to life. :P
I'll be fair, Johns has done a few things I liked, namely 52 and the 2000's-era Teen Titans series. I also didn't mind a lot of the stuff he did with Green Lantern, up to 'Blackest Night' (which was itself a perfectly serviceable event). But the man's writing definitely has problems, especially these days, and suffers for being too event-heavy and falling back on death and ultraviolence. It's a problem when you can remark that a story featured someone's arm getting chopped off and I can correctly guess that Johns was behind it (seriously, he has a fetish or something).
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:It's a problem when you can remark that a story featured someone's arm getting chopped off and I can correctly guess that Johns was behind it (seriously, he has a fetish or something).
I'd still call that an embellishment. In fact, the most recent issue of GL Corps has John Stewart shooting off the arm of a fellow(!) Lantern (although his species is a lizard and says it's ok because it'll grow back), and in the latest GL issue, we see severed arms of Lanterns after their fight with the New Gods near the Source Wall. But Johns has absolutely nothing to do with this story arc.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

andersonh1 wrote:
Sparky Prime wrote:Man of Steel didn't do that bad actually. $291,045,518 at the box office ($668,045,518 world wide) which is pretty good numbers for a comic book film by comparison. And the Nolan Batman films did extremely well.
Yeah, Man of Steel did well, and so did the Nolan Batman trilogy. Green Lantern didn't, but it's worth noting that the opening weekend wasn't too bad. The audience was there, they just didn't like the movie they went to see.
To hell with box office numbers, both Man of Steel and Green Lantern were terrible films. Even Ryan Reynolds couldn't save GL, and that says something.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Ryan Reynolds was one of the big problems with GL, in my opinion. Not that Hal was written well at all, being afraid and ready to quit the Corps after a few hours, so there wasn't much for Reynolds to work with, but still... when they get the central character wrong, there's no way the film is going to work properly. Still, I liked Green Lantern anyway, and really enjoyed Man of Steel.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:Still, I liked Green Lantern anyway, and really enjoyed Man of Steel.
Yeah, same here. Certainly they could have done some things that would have made them better, but I still enjoyed them.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I thought Reynolds was an ok choice for Green Lantern. I can see him as JLA Year One Hal pretty easily. Of course, I'd have been more interested if it was John Stewart in the movie, but what do I know?

Anderson, I'm kind of surprised you liked Man of Steel. Admittedly, I haven't seen it, but it looked so damn grim from the previews and whatnot.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

138 Scourge wrote:I thought Reynolds was an ok choice for Green Lantern. I can see him as JLA Year One Hal pretty easily. Of course, I'd have been more interested if it was John Stewart in the movie, but what do I know?
I initially read this was "I'd have been more interested if he was John Stewart in the movie," and suddenly imagined a very racist Ryan-Reynolds-playing-a-black-man movie. Like, they CGI him to look black.

I can agree that I'd have been more interested in a John Stewart movie. I always liked the fact that he was a straight-laced military man, which made him a perfect fit for the Lantern Corps. If I were doing it, I would have cast Reynolds as Kyle Raynor, and skipped over Hal Jordan entirely, but I was never really a fan of Hal to begin with. Just seemed like, to me, every other Green Lantern was more interesting. (Who could play Guy Gardner?)
Anderson, I'm kind of surprised you liked Man of Steel. Admittedly, I haven't seen it, but it looked so damn grim from the previews and whatnot.
I could write a novel on what I didn't like about MoS, and a short paragraph about what I did like.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.