Prequel theatre movies,Ever watched a good one?

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Most of the ones,I have seen are epic terrible.

Has anyone else here actually watched a good one?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Prequel theatre movies,Ever watched a good one?

Post by Onslaught Six »

X-Men First Class is not just the best, but the best X-Men movie period. (Until Days of Future Past comes out.)

Red Dragon is a prequel to Silence of the Lambs, isn't it? So that counts. (Any Hannibal Lecter movie is hit or miss; it seems like if he's just the side character in it it'll be a good movie but if he's the focus character it'll suck.)

Mallrats is technically a prequel to Clerks. (The two movies take place over the same weekend; Julie Dwyer's funeral is a plot point in both movies.)

Prometheus is a prequel to Alien! And I liked it. A lot of people didn't, but a lot of people are dumb.

Scorpion King is a prequel to the Mummy movies and that movie's alright. It's by no means amazing, but as an early Rock action vehicle it's alright.

Temple of Doom is also a prequel to Raiders. (Temple of Doom is also, depending on who you talk to, the best or worst Indiana Jones movie.)

Wicked is a prequel to The Wizard of Oz and it's generally pretty well acclaimed. There was also that recent Sam Raimi Oz reboot with James Franco that could constitute a prequel if you were looking at it right; it was actually better than I expected it to be but you have to view it as a children's movie. (So there are some intentionally dumb parts, I guess.)

The 2011 Thing remake was also a prequel and it WOULD have been an awesome movie if it had gone the way the scriptwriters, propmakers and director had planned, but the studio saw that they had built all these cool animatronics and practical effects and said, "Fuck that old shit, audiences want CGI!" and forced them to put it in. You can read about that here if you want:
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/23966/u ... -the-thing

Also there's the obvious Hobbit series but if you think that's good or not depends on your point of view.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Onslaught Six wrote:X-Men First Class is not just the best, but the best X-Men movie period. (Until Days of Future Past comes out.)

Red Dragon is a prequel to Silence of the Lambs, isn't it? So that counts. (Any Hannibal Lecter movie is hit or miss; it seems like if he's just the side character in it it'll be a good movie but if he's the focus character it'll suck.)

Mallrats is technically a prequel to Clerks. (The two movies take place over the same weekend; Julie Dwyer's funeral is a plot point in both movies.)

Prometheus is a prequel to Alien! And I liked it. A lot of people didn't, but a lot of people are dumb.

Scorpion King is a prequel to the Mummy movies and that movie's alright. It's by no means amazing, but as an early Rock action vehicle it's alright.

Temple of Doom is also a prequel to Raiders. (Temple of Doom is also, depending on who you talk to, the best or worst Indiana Jones movie.)

Wicked is a prequel to The Wizard of Oz and it's generally pretty well acclaimed. There was also that recent Sam Raimi Oz reboot with James Franco that could constitute a prequel if you were looking at it right; it was actually better than I expected it to be but you have to view it as a children's movie. (So there are some intentionally dumb parts, I guess.)

The 2011 Thing remake was also a prequel and it WOULD have been an awesome movie if it had gone the way the scriptwriters, propmakers and director had planned, but the studio saw that they had built all these cool animatronics and practical effects and said, "Fuck that old shit, audiences want CGI!" and forced them to put it in. You can read about that here if you want:
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/23966/u ... -the-thing

Also there's the obvious Hobbit series but if you think that's good or not depends on your point of view.
Wicked is a play not a theatre movie. It needed to be a Theatre movie to qualify as a Prequel Theatre movie.

I thought the "Oz,great & powerful movie was epic horrible.

The star wars prequels,I thought were vastly inferior to the SW episodes IV,V & VI theatre movies.

I got the strong impression that the recent hobbit movies were in a different alternate movie universe than "The lord of the rings" Trilogy movies.
Yes they are both based off the same books,but they are clearly different interpretations that spiral into their own different movie universes.

X-Men First class seemed like it was more based off the comics & less of a Prequel to the other movies. It more or less seemed like it was in a different movie universe & was a different movie interpretation based off the same comics stories. Days of Future past seems like a after-thought attempt to tie in both different initial intended movies universes in the same movie universe.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Wicked is a play not a theatre movie. It needed to be a Theatre movie to qualify as a Prequel Theatre movie.
My bad; I guess I just assumed they'd already made a film version.
I got the strong impression that the recent hobbit movies were in a different alternate movie universe than "The lord of the rings" Trilogy movies.
Yes they are both based off the same books,but they are clearly different interpretations that spiral into their own different movie universes.
You are literally the only one who thinks this. The movies share nearly all of the same actors from LOTR and there are even added scenes (that aren't in the books) to further tie it into LOTR.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:
My bad; I guess I just assumed they'd already made a film version.
They've been working on turning it into a film, although it has been very slow to develop from what I've heard.

But yeah, there are some good prequels out there.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Wicked started as a book, not a play, so it IS a prequel, just not a theatrical forebearer.

The Godfather 2 is partly a prequel, it enjoys universal acclaim.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is a prequel to the other Dollars films which take place after the Civil War.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:Temple of Doom is also a prequel to Raiders. (Temple of Doom is also, depending on who you talk to, the best or worst Indiana Jones movie.)
Temple of Doom is a prequel? Really? Anyway, thanks to Crystal Skull, now no one anywhere ever will tell you that Temple is the worst Indy movie.

Also, you know what? Star Wars. Seriously. I thought, taken unto themselves, the prequel movies were actually pretty good. They just don't fit with the original trilogy.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Temple of Doom is a prequel? Really?
Yes, really! I was as shocked as you were when I found out. And watching them back to back, you'd be hard pressed to actually see any real evidence, but Raiders explicitly takes place in 1936 while Temple of Doom takes place in 1935! (Last Crusade is '38.)

Ooh! Captain America is a prequel! It is chronologically the first Marvel movie and takes place almost entirely in the 1940s (with the exception of the very last scene).
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:Also, you know what? Star Wars. Seriously. I thought, taken unto themselves, the prequel movies were actually pretty good. They just don't fit with the original trilogy.
I would disagree, taken on their own they're varying degrees of being badly written, badly directed, and badly acted. They don't hold up on their own, they are boring and require foreknowledge to get some plotpoints. They are as competently produced and edited as something so vastly wrong-headed and wrong-helmed could be, they suffer and sag under the weight of being bloated. I'm talking 4/10 to 6/10 territory though, not 3/10 or below. But I really can't imagine an audience that isn't just looking for 2 hours of air conditioning and shiny effects shit to aim higher.

Also, if you were to take them unto themselves, they wouldn't be prequels. ;)

Onslaught Six wrote:Ooh! Captain America is a prequel! It is chronologically the first Marvel movie and takes place almost entirely in the 1940s (with the exception of the very last scene).
This is pretty thin. It's a light prequel to Iron Man through Tony Stark's dad, and a very light prequel to Thor because of the cosmic cube elements. It only tangentially ties into The Incredible Hulk elements by being the same universe, but doesn't directly affect it in any meaningful way. So it's a prequel of the lightest order, it's really designed to be foundational material based on something which is produced later.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:It only tangentially ties into The Incredible Hulk elements by being the same universe, but doesn't directly affect it in any meaningful way.
Well in Avengers there is mention that the Hulk was created while attempting to recreate the super soldier serum that created Cap. So there is that...