TF Procreation

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Re: TF Procreation

Post by Mako Crab »

Oh man, so all that stuff about the Oracle being run by the Quints and Primal being a sucker and the biggest loser in the history of Cybertron. . . Hasbro oversaw all of that??
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Mako Crab wrote:Oh man, so all that stuff about the Oracle being run by the Quints and Primal being a sucker and the biggest loser in the history of Cybertron. . . Hasbro oversaw all of that??
Yep, they totally Willised it. Or Shortpacked it. Nah, Willised.

Anyway, don't listen to Dom, his take is that "It's official, you can't ignore it ever!!" I would argue that if you're unfamiliar with it, live in your happy blissful ignorance. Yeah, official is official, but I doubt even Dom would argue that coloring books are canonical despite being official, so there is room for degrees of attention paid to certain areas of official content. And, given the limited distribution of said Botcon comics I would argue that they fall closer to the coloring book end rather than the more well known IDW monthly end.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dude, that means my storybook where Ultra Magnus fights a GIANT SPACE-SNAKE (described as "HIS DEADLIEST ENEMY") is canon! Alright!
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Shockwave wrote:
Mako Crab wrote:Oh man, so all that stuff about the Oracle being run by the Quints and Primal being a sucker and the biggest loser in the history of Cybertron. . . Hasbro oversaw all of that??
Yep, they totally Willised it. Or Shortpacked it. Nah, Willised.

Anyway, don't listen to Dom, his take is that "It's official, you can't ignore it ever!!" I would argue that if you're unfamiliar with it, live in your happy blissful ignorance. Yeah, official is official, but I doubt even Dom would argue that coloring books are canonical despite being official, so there is room for degrees of attention paid to certain areas of official content. And, given the limited distribution of said Botcon comics I would argue that they fall closer to the coloring book end rather than the more well known IDW monthly end.
Works for me!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Mako Crab wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote: He said it in interviews and a Japanese sourcebook and on ATT and stuff--and need I remind you, Bob 'n' Larry had VERY different ideas of where things would go in the show, and as such neither's opinion was specifically outlined. (I definitely remember one of them mentioning that he wasn't fond of the "Vok are the Swarm + others" idea.) You can use it as an ad-hoc explanation, sure, but you can't take it as raw canon.
Hm. . . now I'm thinking the very existence of the Pit and the Matrix protoform factories is debatable. The wiki says that the only canonical reference to the two factories was in the BotCon exclusive comic, The Razor's Edge, written by Ben Yee. And it was only 2 sentences at that. How official are convention comics considered?
I never liked that idea, for what it's worth--devalues "The Matrix" as a concept. And Yee's crap is just that.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Oh man, so all that stuff about the Oracle being run by the Quints and Primal being a sucker and the biggest loser in the history of Cybertron. . . Hasbro oversaw all of that??
Yes, And, ya see, here is where I get to be a grown up and say "that even thoughI liked Beast Machines the way it was originally presented, I am not going to pitch a fantrum and ignore official context when I do not like it". In other words, yeah, like it (in your case) or not (in mine), The Quintessons jacked up the Oracle and Primal drank the Kool-Aid. Or, not, because Sipher and Troop got wobbly about that pretty basic point so they really only added to the problem. But, I ain't gonna ignore that either.

Dude, that means my storybook where Ultra Magnus fights a GIANT SPACE-SNAKE (described as "HIS DEADLIEST ENEMY") is canon! Alright!
Well, TF assumes a multiverse, which allows for all manner of alternative timelines. I guess the Magnus from that paticular timeline (and these things have legit naming conventions and everything) led a pretty uneventful life.

Joking aside, I would have to wonder how much more recognition (if any) the modern comics have over colouring books. Which one is more likely to be in the hands of a casual fan or kid?

I never liked that idea, for what it's worth--devalues "The Matrix" as a concept. And Yee's crap is just that.
Yeah, I hate that comic as well, but damn. I ain't gonna pretend it ain't there.

Dom
-has secured "Stunticon Job".
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:Joking aside, I would have to wonder how much more recognition (if any) the modern comics have over colouring books. Which one is more likely to be in the hands of a casual fan or kid?
Uh, well if *that* counts for so much then the 'con comics DEFINITELY don't mean anything in the grand canon scheme of things. =| I know a lot of casual TF fans, and none of them have even heard of BotCon.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I was more making a comment about poor comics distribution over all.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

The comics would certainly have a wider distribution, at least in the hands of "the Fandom". I mean, how many fans over the age of 5 are really going to have the coloring books vs. how many would have the comics? I'm betting more would have the comics. And this is based on my experiences from my youth. Sure, I had coloring books, but I mostly had comics and was more familiar with comics. I guess my point is it's pretty easy to ignore official context if you don't know that it exists. And it's even pretty easy to ignore it if you do know but don't have access to it. On the face of that alone, I would argue that since the con comics only reach a small handful of fans that most fans ignore that content on the basis of some level of ignorance.

Shockwave
-And in this case, ignorance is bliss.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Dominic wrote: Yes, And, ya see, here is where I get to be a grown up and say "that even thoughI liked Beast Machines the way it was originally presented, I am not going to pitch and asperfit and ignore official context when I do not like it". In other words, yeah, like it (in your case) or not (in mine), The Quintessons jacked up the Oracle and Primal drank the Kool-Aid. Or, not, because Sipher and Troop got wobbly about that pretty basic point so they really only added to the problem. But, I ain't gonna ignore that either.
I think you misunderstood me. I think it's bullshit that the stupid fanwank rag that is the Botcon comic retconned all of Beast Machines to make Optimus Primal out to be the biggest fool in TF history. I think it's bullshit that the comic undid everything that BM worked for, because Glen Hallit (the co-writer) either didn't like what BM did or thought he'd pander to the raging fans (or both). The Botcon comics have notoriously pandered to perceived fandom wants, like when they killed off Wheelie and Daniel for the fans. I'm surprised they haven't killed off Cy-kill too. Oh wait, yes they did. Ugh. Fuck the Botcon comics. Hate that shit. :evil:

*ahem*

Yeah, this is the one thing about TFs that riles me up. Sorry! :lol: