Spring 2020 Hauls!!

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Winter 2019-2020 Hauls!!

Post by andersonh1 »

I bought another nice Wal-Mart G1 reissue today: Astrotrain. I have an original and an original box, and the Commemorative Series reissue, but once again it's that authentic packaging that really hits all the right buttons for me and made me want to buy this reissue to keep unopened. I'm enjoying these old figures. The Commemorative Series version has a different color scheme, black and white like an actual space shuttle (Japanese colors?) while today's purchase has the original color scheme.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Got two more in the "Complete Peanuts" series, 1991-1994. I now have volumes collecting the strip from 1950 - 1994. The series ended in 2000 with the death of Charles Schulz, so there should only be a few volumes left. I think it's great that we live in a day when ephemeral newspaper gag strips can be collected in hardcover and sit on the bookshelf to be read at any time.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I decided to take a chance on a different type of DC retro material and bought the Adam Strange Silver Age omnibus. The book spans the late 50s to the late 60s and apparently collects the character's entire run in the Mystery in Space comic as well as scattered guest appearances, so it's a done in one volume. The art so far is Mike Sekowsky and Gil Kane, so the look and feel is very Silver Age, but there's a nice almost co-star quality to Adam Strange and his girlfriend Alanna from the planet Rann, to which he travels every time the "Zeta Beam" hits Earth, only to return when it wears off. And he gets to fight various aliens every time he goes, which has to make Rann the second most-invaded DC planet after Earth. It's fun old school "jetpack and ray gun" sci-fi adventure, and I'm enjoying it so far. In some ways it's better than DC's super-hero output from the same era.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Earthrise Wheeljack - this took getting 2 of them just to have a working one, as the first had 2 left windshield pieces, and the second had a misassembled hip. I swapped the windshield pieces to the old one and returned the replacement. It's a good figure in a lot of ways but not perfect. The vehicle mode does take it over the top to good territory.

Earthrise Cliffjumper - this is a toughy, it's clearly a ripoff as it's a smaller figure with partsforming for the backpack, but it's a fun ripoff with enough accessories to make it fun. I like it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have funds burning a hole in your pocket and a need for this character.

Siege Thundercracker - found on sale so I bought the tetrajet and swapped his smirking head for Starscream's. They contrast well, but I think I like Starscream a little better.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:Siege Thundercracker - found on sale so I bought the tetrajet and swapped his smirking head for Starscream's. They contrast well, but I think I like Starscream a little better.
I did the same thing!! :lol:
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Earthrise/Siege Astrotrain. I freaking love this figure. The shuttle mode looks good, the train mode looks good, the bot mode looks good and I like the caboose turning into a launchpad thing. More on this later, but I highly recommend it.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Earthrise Hoist - I don't entirely like this figure. They sacrificed too much to get it to be tall, it feels hollow and incomplete, like it was designed by someone new to the line. The weapon feels like it's going to break if you look at it funny. It can't even tow deluxe cars.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Re: Spring 2020 Hauls!!

Post by andersonh1 »

It's been a while since I've bought any hobby-related stuff, for various reasons, but after enjoying those Marvel omnibuses I bought a number of months ago, I wanted to read some more of the Lee and Kirby series. The omnibuses and Masterworks are mainly out of print and prices are sky-high right now, but I found the Fantastic Four Epic Collection #3 for a decent price and it arrived today. It collects Fantastic Four #33-51 and Annual #3. I hate that the omnibus ends with #30 and this book picks up with issue 33, so I"m missing out on 31 and 32, but it's an affordable way to continue the series.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Spring 2020 Hauls!!

Post by Shockwave »

Went to Walmart the other day and snagged a couple of Earthrise figures. Wheeljack, Hoist, and Cliffjumper. I also managed to get the G1 Astrotrain reissue. I'm going to see how he looks on the Earthrise launchpad thingy.