Transformers/Terminator crossover

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Transformers/Terminator crossover

Post by Dominic »

I want to like this more than I expect to.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/robots-wa ... erminator/

The high concept is that Skynet sends T-800 back in to protect humanity from Transformers, thus allowing for Skynet to exist in the future.

("Injustice/He-Man was pretty good. So, maybe this will be good? Okay, probably not. But, maybe. Just....maybe.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers/Terminator crossover

Post by Shockwave »

I'll definitely check it out. Ghostbuster/Transformers was... a thing that existed. It wasn't great, but I didn't hate it. There were some interesting ideas there, even if the beats were off.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Okay. We are holding you to that. (You can be the guinea pig for this one.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm ok with that. I also enjoyed the Star Trek/Transformers crossover so... I'll hold out hope.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

More than Meets the Why
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Have you seen the thread about IDW's sales (in the misc forum)?

The general impression is that IDW is in trouble. (Discussed in detail there. But, product is shipping late, being resolicited and such.) Cheap cross-overs fit with that over-all impression.

On the "Terminator" side, I cannot speak to the license holder. But, the franchise itself is in trouble.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Having read the first 2 issues (auto-added to my pull-file during the lockdown), I can say this series is worse than any of you expected.

This is almost as bad as the Dreamwave TF/Joe crossovers from the previous decade, making the TF/Marvel cross-over look like a masterwork.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm still going to get this (probably tomorrow), but why? What's bad about it?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

I honestly do not think this is as bad as Dom does (so far). I love the art; there are some inconsistencies with the two franchises that I'm hoping they'll address: the main T-800 does not behave the way T-800's have been shown to behave, for example. I don't know how many issues this is supposed to run, and I can see a few endings, both good and bad. I'm interested, and somewhat anxious, to see where it goes.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It is a dumb idea executed with sloppy writing and poorly composed art.

Howecer, I will amend one thing I said. Skynet is not trying to protect humanity. (The T-800's directives do not include protecting humanity, merely preserving Skynet's future.)

One possible ending: the T-800 kills the Cybertronians and creates what will become the original Skynet. (I don't like this idea beyond it ruling out a sequel. But, I can see IDW going for this.)