Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Trek

Post by Sparky Prime »

Alex Kurtzman gave an interview talking about moving forward to season 3... Further showing why he shouldn't be in charge of Star Trek...
It’s fun to explore nooks and crannies of the universe that people haven’t fully explored yet.
I wouldn't exactly call about 10 years before TOS the "nooks and crannies" of the universe that people haven't fully explored yet. I mean, it is interesting to see a perspective of a different crew at this point in time, but it is still essentially an era we've seen explored.
I also had experience working on the [J.J. Abrams] films where we were stuck with canonical problems. We knew how Kirk had died, and we wondered how we could put him in jeopardy to make it feel real. That’s what led us to go with an alternate timeline [for the Kelvin films]; suddenly we could tell the story in a very unpredictable way.

That’s the same thought process that went into jumping 950 years into the future. We’re now completely free of canon, and we have a whole new universe to explore.
Jumping the story ahead 950 years doesn't make you "completely free of canon" or make it "a whole new universe" (and I wouldn't say creating an alternate timeline does either at least up to a certain degree). You are still tied to the events of the previous series, in the universe that they'd established. Although ironically enough, this is exactly what fans have been saying they should have done in the first place.
There will be canonical references to everything that has happened in the various shows; we’re not erasing that. But we’re so far past that point that all of that is a very distant memory.
So which is it? Are you "completely free of canon" or do you want to stick to canon by referencing it? It doesn't work both ways.
All I can tell you is that Control is officially neutralized, but there will be much bigger problems when they get to the other side of that wormhole…
To my understanding, while several Section 31 ships were destroyed, and they killed Leland (which Control had taken control of using nanites).... There were still plenty of Section 31 ships that Control was still in control of. You're telling me killing Leland was all it took to kill Control? That's not how AI programs work when it has copies of itself in various computer systems (ranging from starships to nanites). Not to mention is capable of transmitting itself. This is why it's so difficult to kill an AI, you have to prevent it from being able to back itself up, and destroy every computer it has infected. That's also not how the series presented the problem with Control, with it eventually evolving on its own to destroy all sentient life in the future.

At least they didn't make Control the origins of the Borg... Although this was still a bad choice given the similarities.
What we discovered is we and the fans delight in stories being told about them. We’re going to be using all of them much, much more. Especially because this crew has forfeited their lives for each other. They’ve jumped 950 years into the future for each other. If we didn’t service them, we’d be doing something very wrong.
A show with an ensemble cast that actually uses all the characters? What a concept. Seriously, most of the characters in Discovery have been little more than glorified extras. I'm mystified that Kurtzman only realized this season they should have been using them.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah... I'm so glad I quit watching this. My fiancé has CBS all access, so I could watch it if I wanted to without actually paying for it and I still refuse. Fuck Discovery, fuck everyone who makes it, and anyone that pays to watch it (like anyone who actually has the app JUST for Discovery), fuck them too.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

As an early backer of the DS9 documentary What We Leave Behind, I got to see the early stream of it. It's a really good doc, 2 hours and a bit unfocused, not as much a central point because there's so much more to say and do, and they do (and say) a lot. The 20 minutes of remastered footage look amazing, and not just the space battles, just shots in the station look outstanding. This series would make so much more money on streaming if they remastered and charged streaming companies for the HD version, there would definitely be demand.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

CBS has put out a teaser for Star Trek: Picard. Unfortunately... It really doesn't show anything. Most of the visuals is simply the vineyard we saw Picard had retired to in "All Good Things..." while a voice over questions what made Admiral (guess he ignored Kirk's advice not to let them promote him) Picard leave Starfleet after leading a rescue armada. Also, have to say I was hoping they'd come up with a more inspired title. I mean, Picard worked fine as a working title, but I didn't think they'd go with that for the series proper. But then, these are the same writers as Discovery, so can't say I'm surprised they didn't think of anything better the name the series.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I guess I'm just pleasantly surprised that after alternate timelines and prequels that we're finally getting back to the prime timeline, and the continuity seems to fit with what we learned when the 90s-2000s Treks were on the air. I'm looking forward to this show, I just hope it's worth watching. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing Patrick Stewart play Picard again.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

SDCC premiered the first trailer for the Picard series.
Spoiler
Picard seems to regret that Data sacrificed himself to save his life. B-4 is seen disassembled (and later shown activated again at the end of the trailer).
Mysterious young girl needs Picard's help.
Seven of Nine! Great to see she'll make an appearance. It has been reported Riker and Troi will be in the series as well.
The Romulans appear to have captured a Borg cube, and seem to be dismantling it/experimenting with its technology.
I'm guessing a lot of this will end up tied into Orci and Kurtzman's Countdown comic book, which served as a prequel to the 2009 reboot film, where they explained the Romulans were experimenting with Borg technology, and Data's memories eventually kicked in, allowing him to return in B-4's body.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

That trailer has me enthused for the show. If nothing else, I've always thought the two ex-Borg, Picard and Seven of Nine, should compare notes. And there they are, on screen together. Nice! Looks like we'll get to see more of what happened the the Romulans after their planet was destroyed as well.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I'm still not so sure about the show. I mean, I love seeing the cameos and the attention to continuity. Not to mention, finally setting a series after the events Nemesis, after nearly 20 years of prequel movies and series. This feels like a step in the right direction at long last. But given who is in charge of making this show are the same people that made Discovery, and the reboot films... I'm afraid they'll do the same thing with Picard.

And for some reason, the Romulans look like TOS-era rather than TNG-era.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I did notice the change to the Romulans. I never liked the TNG big-browed Romulans. I honestly won't mind if they go back to just looking like Vulcans again. I understand the concern about who is producing the show, given their track record, but I'm going to be optimistic and hope they get it right this time. I'll enjoy seeing old story threads picked up again, and old characters revisited.

And Data is in this show! Or B4 at least, who was showing signs of being able to process Data's memories at the end of Nemesis (which I need to watch again). I never expected to see Spiner again. I guess with CGI to make him look younger, Brent Spiner can play an ageless android again.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:I did notice the change to the Romulans. I never liked the TNG big-browed Romulans. I honestly won't mind if they go back to just looking like Vulcans again. I understand the concern about who is producing the show, given their track record, but I'm going to be optimistic and hope they get it right this time. I'll enjoy seeing old story threads picked up again, and old characters revisited.
I actually prefer TNG look for the Romulans. You can still tell there is a common heritage, yet the brow makes them visually distinct from the Vulcans. Which, given the Romulans likely split off from the Vulcans millions of years ago, makes sense there'd be some evolutionary divergences.
And Data is in this show! Or B4 at least, who was showing signs of being able to process Data's memories at the end of Nemesis (which I need to watch again). I never expected to see Spiner again. I guess with CGI to make him look younger, Brent Spiner can play an ageless android again.
I dunno... Spiner looks a little off to me in the trailer. If that's de-ageing CGI, it could use a bit more work if you ask me. Besides, I always felt Spiner was wrong for believing the character had to remain ageless. Data did point out in the show he has an aging program, designed to simulate the physical appearance of aging.

Although, I do have to say it's great to see him in the role again.