Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote:Cyclonus isn't just living out in the wilderness because he wants to be isolated from people, but he's actually keeping watch, standing guard over something... but there seems to be more to it, given Cyclonus seems to think Exarchon could come back.
I'm currently under the impression that the "more to it" is that Cyclonus is bad-shit crazy.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Cyclonus is unambiguously guarding the monument. This appears similar to the cliche of soldiers not surrendering until decades after a war had ended (ex: Japanese soldiers post World War 2). And, he is as much as believer in Exarchon. But, (hopefully) a character saying they believe in something does not end up being a warrant to truth on page.
I'm currently under the impression that the "more to it" is that Cyclonus is bad-shit crazy.
We can hope.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote:I'm currently under the impression that the "more to it" is that Cyclonus is bad-shit crazy.
I dunno about that... I mean, the "ghosts" he sees acknowledge that Cyclonus isn't right in the head. Which, if they are just creations of his own mind, implies Cyclonus is still capable of seeing the difference between reality and what's just in his head. He might be crazy, but he's not "bat-shit" crazy. Not to mention...
Dominic wrote:Cyclonus is unambiguously guarding the monument. This appears similar to the cliche of soldiers not surrendering until decades after a war had ended (ex: Japanese soldiers post World War 2). And, he is as much as believer in Exarchon. But, (hopefully) a character saying they believe in something does not end up being a warrant to truth on page.
But what exactly is the monument? Outward appearances make it look to be just a crater with an antenna in the middle of it, but as he's leaving he discovers a large wire which he says shouldn't be there, exposed by the bioluminescent microbes eating away at the surface. Implying the monument was built over something.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote:
Ursus mellifera wrote:I'm currently under the impression that the "more to it" is that Cyclonus is bad-shit crazy.
I dunno about that... I mean, the "ghosts" he sees acknowledge that Cyclonus isn't right in the head. Which, if they are just creations of his own mind, implies Cyclonus is still capable of seeing the difference between reality and what's just in his head. He might be crazy, but he's not "bat-shit" crazy. Not to mention...
Are you actually arguing a clinical difference between "crazy" and "bat-shit crazy?" He's a hermit who has arguments with dead bots only he can see. What's "bat-shit" to you? Does he have to start eating his own waste or something?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote:Are you actually arguing a clinical difference between "crazy" and "bat-shit crazy?" He's a hermit who has arguments with dead bots only he can see. What's "bat-shit" to you? Does he have to start eating his own waste or something?
If I was, I would have quoted an actual clinical definition (although I doubt "bat-shit" is actually clinically acceptable). I'm just saying, if his own disillusions are capable of recognizing he's not right in the head, then on some level he recognizes it as well. Cyclonus might be nuts, but he's not so far gone as you're making him out to be and thus shouldn't be dismissed out of hand for that reason alone.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote:if his own disillusions are capable of recognizing he's not right in the head, then on some level he recognizes it as well. Cyclonus might be nuts, but he's not so far gone as you're making him out to be and thus shouldn't be dismissed out of hand for that reason alone.
That's... not..... necessarily true....., and I'm also not dismissing him. I get the impression that he's crazy, but I never ruled out that he's completely lucid and being harassed by actual ghosts. I'm honestly concerned that he might be, and I'm not looking forward to that.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote:That's... not..... necessarily true.....
I'm just saying, I'm not seeing that he's so far gone as you're implying. Other than seeing and talking to 'ghosts', Cyclonus really hasn't acted crazy. He was completely normal when Chromia and Windblade talked to him in a previous issue. And the acknowledgement from those 'ghosts' in this issue that he's not right in the head would support the idea he realizes it himself on some level.
and I'm also not dismissing him. I get the impression that he's crazy, but I never ruled out that he's completely lucid and being harassed by actual ghosts. I'm honestly concerned that he might be, and I'm not looking forward to that.
It seems to me like you are dismissing him. But I think I see where the misunderstanding is. When I'd said there seems to be more to it... I wasn't talking about Cyclonus and the 'ghosts'. I was talking about the monument.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote:It seems to me like you are dismissing him. But I think I see where the misunderstanding is. When I'd said there seems to be more to it... I wasn't talking about Cyclonus and the 'ghosts'. I was talking about the monument.
The monument absolutely is something. Especially after Cyclonus notices what looks like some sort of hidden power supply cable.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Issue #8
So it seems that Flamewar (and Shadow Striker) are not interested in Cyclonus. Flamewar only engaged Cyclonus because he was pulling out a communication cable for something hidden below the memorial. Meanwhile, Megatron visits Termagax in her self imposed isolation, and reaffirms she has no interest in Cybertronian society unless things change. This seems to be exactly what Megatron wanted to hear, and informs Soundwave they'll get no interference from her. At security, Prowl and Chromia ask if Quake is capable of killing. Froid is confused by the belated focus on Quake, until they tell him he's missing. Then Cyclonus crashes into the room, and tells them about his discovery, which they believe could be the Riser's because of Shadow Striker's involvement.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am glad that the monument is not robomagical. (Seriously. I was sick of that kind of thing years ago.)

It is disappointing that Megatron appears to be on track to being a more standard bad guy. But, it is not surprising, given that this is a hard reset.

The conversation about Quake made me laugh.