War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

Post by Shockwave »

What was wrong with Predaking?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

So many things....

The combined form looks awful. The individual robot modes are passable, maybe a little better. And, aside from Razorclaw, the alternate modes are some of the worst beast forms I have seen since the early beast era.

All of that is made worse by the scale and cost of Predaking, the 2018 centerpiece. While fiddling with Honeybear's Predaking, I was actually nostalgic for the (relative) masterpiece that was 2014 Devastator.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I liked the combined form and the individual robot modes were fine too. The beast modes I'll give you, they were barely better than the original G1 counterparts and in some ways were worse. But, overall I am pretty happy with it. And it looks good next to Devastator.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I would not take a free 2018 Predaking.

I did not have to talk myself out of Metroplex or Devastator. But, I could have talked myself into buying either if I wanted to. Fort Max...I might have bought had I ever seen it at retail. And, I would take a free Trypticon.

But....no. Not Predaking. (It does not help that Divebomb is the worst of the individual figures.)

And, as for Skywarp (which started this digression), I am more tempted to get another Shockwave for customizing.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'll fiddle with Predaking again, but I actually really like the merged mode. There were some interesting engineering choices made and everything about those figures was in service to the merged mode. I've had him on display since last year and I have not regretted buying him. Which says a lot actually because I do sometimes find myself regretting having bought certain figures. Usually if they're lack luster toys or just characters I have no real attachment to. But, so far I have not regretted any of the Titan class figures.

But yeah, Thundercracker and Skywarp are easy skips for me. I bought Starscream just to see if there was any improvement from the classics mold and... no, there is not. Those are still the best updates. Sideswipe is an improvement and Ironhide is the very best update by a long mile (although the bar is pretty low on that one). I look forward to the inevitable Bluestreak and Smokescreen repaints of Prowl and even the Barricade one.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have not gotten to the comic shop this week. (Issue 7 of the comic will be sitting in my pull-file when I find my way there.) But, Lewis Brooks posted a review of the Optimus toy that the comics are using for visual reference.

https://lmb3.net/2019/05/19/blog-1706-t ... mus-prime/

The facade wheels (on the robot mode wings) are a deal breaker. This is a relatively large figure, that costs ~$50 (depending on where one happens to buy it). And, it has facade parts.

I forgave that kind of thing the first time it was tried in 2004 (with the original "Masterpiece" Optimus), because it was done gracefully and enhanced the visual quality of the figure. But, over the last 15 years, Hasbro has gotten sloppier and lazier about their willingness to use facade parts, particularly with Optimus figures.

The last time I was able to tolerate it was 2006 (with the "Cybertron" Optimus, which the current Optimus is based on). I squinted and forgave the problem with the "Combiner Wars" Optimus because Hasbro would need to make some aesthetic trade-offs when trying to use the original Optimus character model as a combiner-torso. (I skipped that figure. But, I understood why Hasbro did what they did.)

But, in this case, it is unforgivable. The current Optimus is based on the 2005/2006 character model, which had the vehicle mode wheels on the robot mode wings. If Hasbro was so determined to re-use an old character design for a new figure, then there is no reason that the current toy could not have been at least as good as the (frankly middling) original from damn near 15 years ago. (Honestly, I would expect better.)

I had already been trying to talk myself out of this Optimus for several months (after falling in love with the comic). I was planning to sell my 2006 "Cyberton" Optimus, in preparation for breaking down and buying this damned thing (despite my better judgement). Now, I will have no problem skipping it.

- edit: Found the Wave 3 BattleMasters (Smashdown and Caliburst).

Smashdown (minotaur/hammer):
Despite a relatively weak minotaur mode, this is easily the best skirmish weapon in the line. (And, I am guessing it will be the hardest to find, both for reasons of distribution and demand.) Shipped partly dis-assembled (with the tail/handle detached).

The minotaur mode is not bad for the sub-scout price-point it was made for. But, it does have all of the problems of that price-point (hollowness and lack of articulation). The Hammer mode is excellent, mostly because it looks solid. The energy effect is meant to evoke an impact, essentially the visual equivalent of a "bonk" sound effect. If one is inclined, they could plug a "shooting" effect into the non-impace side of the hammer, creating the impression (hah, see what I did there?) that the hammer is being propelled by a booster.

Smashdown has three main distinctions. The most obvious is that a minotaur is not a commonly used form, making this a visually distinctive figure. Being a new character also sets Smashdown apart from most of the other figures in this line (alongside Dazzlestrike and arguably Greenlight). And, long-term fans (such as myself) will probably appreciate that Smashdown is a new Wrecker character.

Definitely worth buying if you see one. Worth hunting for (or ordering) if you like the Wreckers.

Caliburst (robot/gun):

There is not much to say about Caliburst that one could not say about Blowpipe or Aimless (including a name that sounds like the kind of thing one might find on a novelty bong).

This figure uses the asymmetric barrel type (one large priimary barrel, with a smaller secondary barrel) used for Blowpipe. Technically, the molding is slightly different. But, at this scale, the molded details are less important than the plastic colors (black and purple).

Much like Aimless and Blowpipe, the robot mode is dominated (and visually harmed) by the gun handle protruding from the robot mode's chest. While the package art (most notably for Blowpipe) has tried to make this work, the best real solution is to display all three in weapon mode. This is easy enough in all three cases, particularly Caliburst. The molding and colors work very well together. (I suspect that it was meant to look good attached to the upcoming Brunt figure.)

The blast effect is meant to evoke a sort of energy trail from the gun. (For some reason, this effect and the pair included with Aimless remind me of the way that muzzle-signatures were drawn in early to mid-90s comics like "Generation 2".

Caliburst is not the best for the price-point, let alone the line, but possibly the best gun mode for the line.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

I really want the minotaur hammer. I want to give it to Abominus.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I plan to use it to create the execution scene from "Last Stand of the Wreckers". I have a partially finished Earthquake (based on a headmaster). The idea of having Impactor using a hammer, instead of a gun, to execute prisoners amuses me on a level that I should probably be more uncomfortable with.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote:The idea of having Impactor using a hammer, instead of a gun, to execute prisoners amuses me on a level that I should probably be more uncomfortable with.
Given that his name's Impactor, and given what I know of you, I'm more relieved that you only want to knock Decepticon heads off rather than construct some unspeakable X-rated snuff film vignette.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am giggling like a lunatic after reading that.

I genuinely like "Last Stand of the Wreckers". Any chance to reference it on my shelf is welcome.