War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

Post by Dominic »

Even allowing for Star Convoy being a retool of last year's Optimus, that is an excessive amount of Optimus. (I am interested in the two UT Primes. But, I would not say it makes sense to release both at once.)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

My guess is Japanese sales are down, and they have a thing about Optimus, which TT is hoping will drive sales back up.

So far, I've avoided buying anything from Siege. The price hike is a very hard pill to swallow. It appears I am alone in this, as aside from the cheapies, I've only ever seen Cog and Skytread(Flywheels) on pegs, and the occasional OP and Megs; only seen Sideswipe and Hound in scalper stores. I'm not feeling the COMBAT system whatsoever. This and Cyberverse may be the point where I don't come back. My last pickup was Trypticon and he's great, maybe that's that.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I dunno, I'm still mostly in for this line, but 3 Optimus Primes in one line is bit much even for me. I might get the Cybertron version just to have an Optimus that will be compatible with Ultra Magnus' armor but that would be it. I have no particular connection to star sabre so I'm not going to feel bad skipping that one. The rest of the figures have been really good though, in spite of the price hike.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The price bump has definitely made me pickier (even more than losing interest in the comics did).

But, so far, I like everything other than the obviously flawed Caliburst. I skipped Sideswipe and Hound because I have good enough figures from 10 years ago. Skytread is hand-candy.

The only upcoming figures that really interest me are Mirage and Red Alert (out of fondness for the characters).
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:The price bump has definitely made me pickier (even more than losing interest in the comics did).

But, so far, I like everything other than the obviously flawed Caliburst. I skipped Sideswipe and Hound because I have good enough figures from 10 years ago. Skytread is hand-candy.

The only upcoming figures that really interest me are Mirage and Red Alert (out of fondness for the characters).
I replaced both Sideswipe and Hound. CHUG Hound's legs are a nightmare to transform. There were some interesting ideas but they were not executed that well. It seemed great at the time, but there was nothing better to compare it to. Sideswipe's feet are a loose mess making the figure stand precariously. The new one does not have that problem. I am definitely going to be getting Prowl and Ironhide when they come out. The Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen mold is in massive need of an update, those door wings were a broken floppy mess and the heel spurs do not function at all. I will be all too happy to replace them with something much sturdier. And Ironhide/Ratchet never got decent updates at all. I don't have anything against the current Henkei Mirage that I have, it's still good enough that replacing it is going to be dependent on whether or not they've improved it. I haven't really had any long term problems with Mirage, the only complaint I could kind of make is that it doesn't always lock together that great in vehicle mode, but even that's not a big complaint.

As for the price hike... I dunno. I mean with Ultra Magnus, I feel like I've paid Leader prices for a Voyager, but the figure is so well done that I still feel like I got the value out of what I've paid. I haven't always been able to say that, so I'm definitely interested to see what else the line brings us.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

On advice, I picked up Hound. It's a fun figure, but small and a bit ambitious in its design for its budget. I still don't know if I'll bother with Sideswipe, this doesn't feel like $20-worth of figure so far.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Official images of Springer, Thundercracker, Red Alert and Galaxy Optimus have been revealed.

Honestly like the look of Galaxy Optimus more than the previous Siege Optimus figure. It looks somewhat more Cybertronian at least.

Also revealed today is Ectotron, that transforms into Ectro-1 from Ghostbusters. It will be a Gamestop/EBGames exclusive figure.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Those do look good, especially the Prime.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Surprised to hear anything positive about that Cybertron Optimus, it looks worse in every way than the original, smaller and more hollow.

I don't entirely understand bringing out another Springer figure already, but it does have accuracy on its side. I like the Thrilling 30 figure as a toy, but this looks more like the character.

The Tetrajet design looks so bad to me, it's a Tetrajet on top of a robot cube.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:Surprised to hear anything positive about that Cybertron Optimus, it looks worse in every way than the original, smaller and more hollow.
I prefer the original Cybertron Optimus figure over this one as well... I just think it's better than the first Siege Optimus figure, especially in that it looks somewhat Cybertronian.