SUMMER hauls 2018

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: SPRING hauls 2018

Post by JediTricks »

If that counts, then surely transforming 30 figures in one day must be a haul! Because that's what I did yesterday while cleaning up. Lots of Generations stuff I had forgotten about as well as some various Movie figures, most transformed easily enough at least, and I remembered to transform Truck Megatron so his shoulders didn't rip off his Mack truck hood ornament. Most confusing and fragile might go to AOE Bumblebee, great vehicle mode, spindly and awkward bot mode.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I picked up the Transformers Unicron free comic book day issue. Will read and review.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

New computer, since my old one exploded.
andersonh1

Re: SUMMER hauls 2018

Post by andersonh1 »

Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus volume 5 arrived today!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote:Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus volume 5 arrived today!
I've been reading your reviews of these golden age omnibuses. It's very interesting to see the early versions of these now iconic characters and how they've developed over time.

Also, HUAL! My super awesome girlfriend's brother decided he wanted to get rid of his Transformers from when he was a kid so she brought them to me for appraisal. And he had some good stuff! I will be purchasing the lot from him but included in there from G1: Jetfire in near perfect shape. Some slight yellowing, but mostly still white, missing some armor pieces too. In perfect shape: Astrotrain, Bombshell, Kickback, Fastlane (missing one gun), Topspin and Twin Twist, Sunstreaker (minus one Missile), Trailbreaker (minus 2 missiles and a fist), Tracks (sans missiles). There were other bots in there as well: Grimlock (complete), Soundwave missing his head, the Omnibots with Camshaft missing his head, Optimus Prime missing missiles, gun, fists and broken bits on the trailer, and Omega Supreme parts. Oh, also Starscream and Thundercracker each missing missiles and a fist. Not bad really and I can use these to further my new Youtube channel showing G1 Transformer restoration techniques.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus volume 5 arrived today!
I've been reading your reviews of these golden age omnibuses. It's very interesting to see the early versions of these now iconic characters and how they've developed over time.
That's good to know. I agree, having the opportunity to read the character from the start and watch him develop has been enjoyable for me too. The same is true of Superman, though I haven't done nearly as well writing up summaries for his series. It's always easier to read than to review. :)

The next volume should reach the 10th anniversary, and I'll be curious to see how that's observed. If DC keeps publishing, they'll reach the 1950s soon and the advent of the comics code, and I'm interested to see how that affects the storytelling.
Also, HUAL! My super awesome girlfriend's brother decided he wanted to get rid of his Transformers from when he was a kid so she brought them to me for appraisal. And he had some good stuff! I will be purchasing the lot from him but included in there from G1: Jetfire in near perfect shape. Some slight yellowing, but mostly still white, missing some armor pieces too. In perfect shape: Astrotrain, Bombshell, Kickback, Fastlane (missing one gun), Topspin and Twin Twist, Sunstreaker (minus one Missile), Trailbreaker (minus 2 missiles and a fist), Tracks (sans missiles). There were other bots in there as well: Grimlock (complete), Soundwave missing his head, the Omnibots with Camshaft missing his head, Optimus Prime missing missiles, gun, fists and broken bits on the trailer, and Omega Supreme parts. Oh, also Starscream and Thundercracker each missing missiles and a fist. Not bad really and I can use these to further my new Youtube channel showing G1 Transformer restoration techniques.
Very nice!!

A big portion of my G1 collection came from my brother, years ago. Me and my two brothers all got into Transformers big time when they first came out and got a lot of figures for Christmas and birthdays, and whenever we could scrape together some money or talk our grandparents into buying one for us. When we were older and my brother moved out of the house, I came home one day to find a box of his figures in my room with a note "if you want keep, if not, throw away". The only one of his figures I didn't get was G1 Jetfire, which I regret. Among the figures was a complete set of G1 Predacons in great shape with all accessories.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

- 3 tickets to the 1986 Transformers movie on the big screen! It's going to be a daddy-daughter double date... taking both my girls with me to see it. I'm looking forward to finally seeing this movie on the big screen.

- picked up IDW's 1959-61 collection of Superman newspaper strips, and I'll say it again: Silver Age Superman is best understood as a sitcom. The plots are just crazy. Lois Lane almost marrying a wrestler with the nickname "the Ugly Superman" could not happen in any other era.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote:- 3 tickets to the 1986 Transformers movie on the big screen! It's going to be a daddy-daughter double date... taking both my girls with me to see it. I'm looking forward to finally seeing this movie on the big screen.

- picked up IDW's 1959-61 collection of Superman newspaper strips, and I'll say it again: Silver Age Superman is best understood as a sitcom. The plots are just crazy. Lois Lane almost marrying a wrestler with the nickname "the Ugly Superman" could not happen in any other era.
Oh My God, Me too!! I just got tickets for me and the super awesome girlfriend. I missed it originally because I lived in England at the time and we left before it reached the theaters there and it had already left the theaters when we got back to the US. So this is especially awesome for me.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Power of the Primes evolution Optimus Prime. I'd seen this at Target and had been waffling on getting it, but finally decided to pull the trigger. And I'm glad I did. The robot mode transforms into an Orion Pax that is pretty decent and really the main draw of this figure. The trailer turns into the "Optimus Prime" figure and the Orion part turns into the chest and head for Optimus. The robot modes are the strongest modes of this figure with the truck mode being the weakest and one of the weakest Prime truck modes I've seen on any figure. The front part of the cab is fine, but is a kibbly mess on the last half and the back wheels. The trailer has the arms showing on top and the top of the faux truck cab/chest showing in the front. The rest of it is fine, but those parts stand out enough that it's distracting. Still I do think it's worth it for the bot modes, since that's really the main draw for buying this figure and that's where they really deliver.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Oh, also some Cards Against Humanity expansions: Geek pack, fantasy pack and sci-fi pack.