customizing idea (Power of the Primes Starscream)

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

customizing idea (Power of the Primes Starscream)

Post by Dominic »

This idea will be *expensive* for whoever tries it, (meaning that I ain't gonna try it).

All-Seeker Combination team: (Sunstorm and 4 Decepticon troopers)

The concept is pretty straightforward. Use a current Starscream figure as the base for a Sunstorm. And, use 4 copies of the (Japanese) merge-limb Starscream, recolored as purple Decepticon troops. (Given the limited releases of the two pressings of the limb, each limb is likely to be as expensive as the torso.)

The 2004 BotCon exclusive PVC figure set is precedent for Sunstorm and troopers being packaged together. And, yellow and purple can look good together, with grey details unifying the larger robot.

Having access to a 3D printer would somewhat off-set the cost of the limbs (and the difficulty of recoloring them). But, it would also require sacrificing a limb (as it would need to be dis-assembled before being scanned in to the CAD program).

Thoughts?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: customizing idea (Power of the Primes Starscream)

Post by Shockwave »

An easier and less expensive route might be to create a new head for the existing Air Raid mold and just buy four copies of him for recoloring.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Duplicating the combiner head would still be difficult/expensive.

At the very least, you would still need one legitimate copy. (And, how easy is Air-Raid to get at this point?) There is no cheap or easy way to make this happen.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:Duplicating the combiner head would still be difficult/expensive.

At the very least, you would still need one legitimate copy. (And, how easy is Air-Raid to get at this point?) There is no cheap or easy way to make this happen.
There is a copy of Starscream on ebay for $80.00. Air Raid goes for about 30 and Starscream goes for about 20.00. So, just the core bots without a deluxe Starscream head would be about $140.00. There could be other options for the Starscream head. Other deluxe versions could be modified or some well placed and sculpted putty on Air Raid's head could do the trick. Even doing that, the overall cost wouldn't be much more than what a full CW Combiner goes for on ebay.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The most cost effective option would be to buy 4 Airraid figures, and use a CAD program to make replacement heads. But, that would still be expensive.

Assume that paint, time and brushes are free.

Starscream core body: $30
Airraid: ($20*4) $80
replacement heads for Airraid (h*4)

The figures themselves are going to cost $110, before adding the cost of modified parts. (And, those modified parts will still need to be designed, likely by copying a legitimate figure.)

And, considering that Sunstorm is yellow, somebody might want to just make a CAD copy of the core Starscream body in yellow plastic.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I don't have a 3D printer so I would have to try other means for the heads. The recasting materials I have are going to be the best bet, which means I only need one decent deluxe seeker head, which I already have on other figures. It would need slight modification to fit on a ball joint, but that shouldn't be a problem. All together, I think it would be around $150.00 to make it happen, which is the average that the combiners are going for on ebay.

Shockwave
-May actually do this.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That spot-casting you do is apparently much cheaper than I thought. (Correctly me if I am wrong, you are making single-use molding?) How well could you sculpt a new head for the limb-troops?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

It's silicone rubber molds which allow more than one use. They do degrade over time, but you can get a lot of castings out of it. I think I got 11 or so Botcon Breakdown heads before I quit using the mold. I actually still have it and could use it. The biggest problem is air bubbles. If it's a solid piece, air bubbles in the middle are not a problem as they won't be visible. But sometimes the plastic doesn't fill the mold as completely as it should causing bubbles where detail should be. I've more or less solved that problem for solid castings, but it's still an issue for clear parts, which is why you never got the clear yellow Breakdown head I was supposed to make for you. In fact, it's not that I didn't make it, they didn't come out to an acceptable quality. As for sculpting, if I use Air Raid's head as the base, it wouldn't take much, but having an original head would be better. Actually, I wonder if the Voyager size head could just be recast for it.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Had a look at Transformers at Target last night and they had two Starscreams. The head looks like it would do fine on a deluxe figure, or at least on a CW limb bot. That would mean that no additional figures would need to be purchased, cutting down the cost of the custom.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

My only issue with using the core-body Starscream head is the smirk. (I prefer troops to have passive faces.) But, the money saved does not exactly hurt my feelings.