Will RID ever make it to DVD?

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
andersonh1

Will RID ever make it to DVD?

Post by andersonh1 »

I was browsing around on Amazon last night, looking to see if Robots in Disguise (the Car Robots import, not the current show) had ever made it to DVD. All I could find were out of stock Region 2 sets. I actually have most of this series on VHS, because I taped it when it first aired, but as usual with old VCR tapes, the quality isn't so good after 16 years (has it been that long?), and I"d like to have good, clean digital copies. And do I really want to pull the VCR out of storage and fast-forward through the commercials like I did in the old days?

Short answer: no. Long answer: there's a way around it, but it'll take time. I broke out the old Vidbox and started digitally recording the episodes to my computer. With a little time, I can go back and edit out all the commercials and put the episodes in the proper viewing order. I can't do anything about the unaired episodes though, which is another reason I'd like a DVD release. It would be nice to have the complete series rather than having a few gaps. I remember this show fondly, and actually enjoyed all the emphasis on humor, proof that a Transformers show can be light and still be entertaining.

So for now, I'm digitizing the off-air episodes and burning them to DVD. Still hoping for a proper release one of these days.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Will RID ever make it to DVD?

Post by Shockwave »

Unfortunately no, they have never released it domestically in the US, much to my chagrin as well. I actually do have the entire series in digital format free of commercials, if you want, feel free to pm me and we can try to figure a way for me to share it with you.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

There was some licensing or distribution issue if I recall.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:There was some licensing or distribution issue if I recall.
I think it had something to do with the rights either belonging to Saban or Disney, who bought part of Saban's properties. I haven't read any recent discussion about it though, so I'm not sure where that stands.