The Official "Should I buy this figure?" Thread

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

The Official "Should I buy this figure?" Thread

Post by Almighty Unicron »

I've been considering buying an old figure (Titanium Series Rodimus Prime) to round out some shelf space of mine, but based on the pictures I've seen of him I am on the fence and I wanted to get some opinions of people on the boards. I didn't want to make a new thread just for the one figure, but maybe if we had a space for figure recommendations (separate from reviews), that might be a good idea?
andersonh1

Re: Idea for a new board/thread: "Should I buy this figure?"

Post by andersonh1 »

I don't know if we would need an entire section for recommendations, but a "Should I buy this figure?" thread seems like a good idea to me.

And as someone who has Titanium Rodimus Prime, I'd recommend the figure. The main flaw I can think of is the way that the waist is constructed means that it doesn't lock together well, so a lot of times when you go to move the arm, the whole torso is liable to swing open. That aside, it's not a bad version of Rodimus Prime at all. I think it's worth owning.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I didn't own many of the Titanium figures, including Rodimus. I didn't get the first wave in part of who they were ("Ugh, another Optimus Prime and Megatron?") plus the fact that their die cast seemed to weigh them down poorly (from reviews). I ended up getting Jetfire for a gift from a well-meaning parent or relative and hated it; spindly, weighed down, transformed like crap, and most importantly, barely looked like Jetfire! It was one of the first TFs I ever sold, and I used part of the profits to buy a G1 Jetfire instead.

The next one I ended up with was Scourge, who I specifically sought out. This one was slightly better, but his transformation was drastically simple, and it had odd tolerances and construction--I believe his arms were die cast, but his hands were soft rubbery plastic, so I couldn't turn them much for fear of ripping the rubbery plastic off. The legs didn't have much maneuverability due to the design, and in general it wasn't a great toy. As soon as Generations Scourge was announced, I sold it. Most of the other Titaniums I saw were either poorly done versions of characters I already had (Fire Convoy, Ultra Magnus) or were just plain inappropriately sized or looking (Cheetor).

So here's my question: What specifically is attracting you to this figure? If it's just to have a decently sized figure of Rodimus Prime, you could do a lot better--Classics Rodimus (and his repaint from the 2010 yellowbox line) is a great Rodimus, Prime or not. Looking at pics, it seems like even Energon Rodimus would be a perfectly fine alternative to...that. He's got these weird Pat Lee-esque proportions, he's all fat and bulbousy. Definitely not something I want.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

I have classics rodimus (didn't I buy it from you? Or maybe Dom) but I'm actually not that happy with him. For one, I just have a glut of Autobot cars on my shelf and I want a vehicle mode that's more unique- AFAIK Titanium Rowdy Roddy Mus is the only toy that turns into a winnebago since the 80s. Plus the arms on my Classics car Rodimus have trouble staying up no matter how many coats of varnish I put on his elbow joints, and I actually really dislike the way his arms are designed as-is.

Mods, maybe you can rename this thread into just "should I buy this figure?" and move it to a forum you think is appropriate?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Almighty Unicron wrote:I have classics rodimus (didn't I buy it from you? Or maybe Dom) but I'm actually not that happy with him. For one, I just have a glut of Autobot cars on my shelf and I want a vehicle mode that's more unique- AFAIK Titanium Rowdy Roddy Mus is the only toy that turns into a winnebago since the 80s. Plus the arms on my Classics car Rodimus have trouble staying up no matter how many coats of varnish I put on his elbow joints, and I actually really dislike the way his arms are designed as-is.

Mods, maybe you can rename this thread into just "should I buy this figure?" and move it to a forum you think is appropriate?
I'm assuming 3rd party is out of the question? The Fansproject Protector armor upgrade set solved a lot of that and even added articulation to the arms. Otherwise I think the only official Winnebego of Doom Rodimus is the MP one. But, you would need the Japanese one to have the trailer since Hasbro screwed us on that one.