Armada Smokescreen - Comprised primarily of suck?

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Armada Smokescreen - Comprised primarily of suck?

Post by Dominic »

Scourge, do not fret about the Space Team. They really are not that great unless you really want a merge-term. They are actually very fragile in merge-mode.
Onslaught Six wrote:
donosaur wrote:Man I hope they redeco/rerelease Menasor someday.
Yes. As Twin Twist. Or something.
Or hey, how about a new character? Remember those? I would love to see in-franchise references to that obscure era.

Dom
-remembers the good old days.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:I have never knocked a toy away from a kid.
... YET!!!
Dominic wrote:A few years back, during the end of "Cybertron", I was looking for the Minicon 2-packs. The 3rd and 4th waves of those were difficult to find. As it turned out, store were only getting partial cases, meaning it was nearly impossible to find the new product in those waves. (A central wharehouse would get full cases, and break them up, sending the remnants to individual stores.) Considering that each of the last 2 waves had build-up teams,......

I was approaching the toy aisle at a local Target, and a kid lobbying his granny for a TF. He wanted a deluxe. She offered to get him a Minicon. :shock:

I could see that there was a new Minicon pack at about hand level. I could not tell which ones, but I knew I did not have them. Her hand was ominously close the Minicons...... :shock: when suddenly, the kid again pulled towards the deluxes. The granny tried to tell him he could get a Minicon.

At this point, I was right behind them. Using more flexibility and speed than I thought I had the capacity for, I swooped in, and snagged 2 of the 3 packs from wave 4. :o

I quickly scanned the other rows of Minicon packs, and saw nothing. In one case, it was the only copie I ever saw of the Wave 4 Minicons, so yes, it was worth it.

What? What? What are you looking at?

The kid did not even want the damned things. He was not likely to ever get a complete wave, and he probably would have trashed the ones he got. Don't you judge me. You would have done exactly the same thing had you been there.

Dom
-what?!?!?! what??!?!
I'm seein' a fucking pattern Dom! First that and now the slushie incident, you're a kid-hater! Admit it, you secretly wanted to be a teacher for a while so you could torture children legally. It's fuckin' minicon repaint packs, they're shit, not worth beating up an old lady and a kid over. And you already own those molds, just "not in those colors with those names and bios". Douche. :p
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

First up, I did not beat up the old lady or the kid. I just swooped in and made off with the toys. Calm down.

And second, these were damned good recolors with damned find bios that actually helped to define the franchise a bit. (One of them conclusively over-wrote the Dreamwave era "Armada" sourcebook and some Japanese stuff. And, on top of that, the bios described a pretty well thought out scenario.)

I wonder how many children have been deprived of SW toys because of you JT. I really do.

And, as I said above, the kid did not even want the damned Minicons. I deprived him of nothing. He probably would have decided he wanted them if he saw I wanted them, but he did not really want them.

Dom
-remembering a friend getting into an altercation with an old lady over BW Canine, or maybe it was Retrax.....
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Looks like I hit a sore spot, eh Dommo?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I really do regret the slush incident.

Screw the Minicon kid.

Dom
-does not have this problem when hunting online.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

*Tugs on 86's sleeve*
Mom and dad are fighting again!! >_<

Looking back on Armada toys, I have to say they're overall very simplistic, poorly proportioned, and quite fun / nifty, if not KEWL. Shame, really. Kinda put me off Energon (and, indeed, I only own one E fig; Snowcat).

Gom
-Hopes JT and Dom don't fight over who gets to be TFViews' "dad".
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

You should see our emails going back over 3 years.

Dom
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Gomess wrote:Looking back on Armada toys, I have to say they're overall very simplistic, poorly proportioned, and quite fun / nifty, if not KEWL. Shame, really. Kinda put me off Energon (and, indeed, I only own one E fig; Snowcat).
It was the crazy combining gimmick that put me off so much of Energon. The fact that all of them had to combine ruined some otherwise promising Autobot figures. And the combined figures were generally ugly anyway.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Line-wide gimmicks (TRANSFORMATION excluded) = suck.

Even Mini-cons got boring, to me, before too long! The fact that every character had to have one, took away from their singular impact, ESPECIALLY when the combinations just made no sense. Like an F1 paired with an F22 (little car-and-jet joke there)...
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Minicons were a good gimmick though. If nothing else, there were some "Armada" offerings where the Minicon carried the set. They actually added fiddle value to the toys, unlike the combination gimmick in "Energon", which took away fiddle value.

I cannot think of any Minicons I did not like. Even the worst of them, like Nightbeat, still had some fun value.

Dom
-would not mind getting a more complete set of Minicons.