Like it or hate it,BW set bar/rules for future TF toy lines.

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Like it or hate it,BW set bar/rules for future TF toy lines.

Post by Tigermegatron »

Like it or hate it,Beastwars set the bar & rules for future TF toy lines.

Allow me to explain,with a few numbered examples:

(1)before the beastwars toy line. Their were no size levels in the assortment boxes.before the beastwars toys, their was no such thing as putting all deluxes on the same sized blister card & putting them all in a deluxe sized assortment box. the beastwars toy line gave TF,The very first size assortments sizes like basics,deluxes,mega & ultra.

(2)Before beastwars,their was no such thing as another Transformer media/toy character,being called by another transformers toy character. their was no one re-using names nor relatives passing down names.

(3)Beastwars set thec bar very high with the CGI animated series.

(4)Beastwars was the first CGI animated series,to feature a all canadian voice cast recored in canada.

(5)FWIW,Beastwars was the very first toy line & CGI cartoon series. TO FEATURE SMART/COMPETENT ANIMALS that transformed into robots. before that most transformers that transformers in animals had low intelligence,anger management issues,some didn't talk. some got ordered around by the vechicle/bots. before beastwars most animal/bots weren't that competent & needed to have vechicle/bots watching over them like baby sitters/guardians/care takers.

(6)other than Generation one's cartoon series. beastwars was the 2nd & only to this date to go into syndication. this is a mile stone. considering this hasn't happened for any other TF cartoon series after beastwars.

(7)Beastwars was the very first transformers cartoon to feature well deveopled written,dialogue & long story arcs/plots.

(8)Beastwars was the very first cartoon series to end each season with a cliffhanger.

(9)The beastwars toy line was a pioneer,as it was the first TF toy line to include additional sub names/titles/secondary brand names on the TF toys like Transmetal,transmetals 2,fuzors,Fox kids,etc...

(10)Beastwars was the very first transformers toy line & cartoon series to do a "SPIN OFF" into another cartoon/toy line,which was called Beastrmachines.

(11)Like it or hate it,the facts are,beastwars saved the transformers francise. Generation 2 didn't do that great & got cancelled. beastwars was kenner's idea who had just merged with hasbro a few short years ago.

(12)Beastwars is one of the only USA based toy lines to first feature the kenner logo on the toy packages then years later feature the hasbro logo on the toy packages. i'm not sure if later G-2 toy packages had the kenner logo on the toy packages.

(13)Beastwars was the very first TF toy line to use the transformers brand logo to help sell another transforming toy product hasbro owned called animorphs.

(14)Beastwars was the first & maybe only TF toy line owned by hasbro. to feature cancelled toys from another hasbro owned toy line called animorphs. as most are aware/mayb not. some of the cancelled animorphs toys got a bit of retooling & were released later on in the beastwars toy line by the name "beast mutants" that were sold as 4 deluxe toys.

(15)The beastwars cartoon,was the first TF cartoon media to explore relationships between males & females. showing kissing,hand holding,suggesting they dated & slept in the same room. exploring the possibilites of reproduction was possible & transformers weren't just made in factories by machines or built. transformers characters for the first time had relatives like moms,dads,aunts,uncles,sisters,bothers & so forth. before beastwars,everything before sugggested all the transformers were built in factories & might have been mildly related because they were either created at the same time,same day,using the same master molds parts,built by the same guy or whatever
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Like it or hate it,BW set bar/rules for future TF toy li

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Tigermegatron wrote:Like it or hate it,Beastwars set the bar & rules for future TF toy lines.

I agree with most of these, but I have issue with a few of them:
Tigermegatron wrote: (3)Beastwars set thec bar very high with the CGI animated series.
My GF is a computer animator, and she enjoys telling me tales of how, while in college for animation, it was generally accepted that the Beast Wars CG "sucked ass" mostly for things we normal viewers wouldn't notice, like characters walking while sliding across the ground, and various pieces of CG moving into and out of other pieces of CG.
TIgermegatron wrote:(4)Beastwars was the first CGI animated series,to feature a all canadian voice cast recored in canada.
Reboot is by the same company, and came out first. Are you sure this honour doesn't go to Reboot?
Tigermegatron wrote: (6)other than Generation one's cartoon series. beastwars was the 2nd & only to this date to go into syndication. this is a mile stone. considering this hasn't happened for any other TF cartoon series after beastwars.
Yeah, but other than the G1 cartoon, Beast Wars was the only other TF show, at the time, to be released in the US to my knowledge. So, G1 came out, and went to syndication, and then BW just followed suit.
Tigermegatron wrote: (7)Beastwars was the very first transformers cartoon to feature well deveopled written,dialogue & long story arcs/plots.
This is debateable. I mean, YOU don't like the stories for G1, but others might not agree.
Tigermegatron wrote: (8)Beastwars was the very first cartoon series to end each season with a cliffhanger.
Really? The first cartoon ever to EVER end each season with a cliffhanger? Or did you mean the first TF cartoon?

Other than that, I tend to agree with your points. Ask Dom. I loved the crap out of Beast Wars.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote:
Tigermegatron wrote: (7)Beastwars was the very first transformers cartoon to feature well deveopled written,dialogue & long story arcs/plots.
This is debateable. I mean, YOU don't like the stories for G1, but others might not agree.
I think Tigermegatron has a point here actually. Didn't the Constructions have like 3 origins in the G1 cartoon? And most of G1 was 'Decepticon plot of the week' type stories rather than actual story arcs.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Ursus mellifera wrote:
Tigermegatron wrote:Like it or hate it,Beastwars set the bar & rules for future TF toy lines.

I agree with most of these, but I have issue with a few of them:
Tigermegatron wrote: (3)Beastwars set thec bar very high with the CGI animated series.
My GF is a computer animator, and she enjoys telling me tales of how, while in college for animation, it was generally accepted that the Beast Wars CG "sucked ass" mostly for things we normal viewers wouldn't notice, like characters walking while sliding across the ground, and various pieces of CG moving into and out of other pieces of CG.
TIgermegatron wrote:(4)Beastwars was the first CGI animated series,to feature a all canadian voice cast recored in canada.
Reboot is by the same company, and came out first. Are you sure this honour doesn't go to Reboot?
Tigermegatron wrote: (6)other than Generation one's cartoon series. beastwars was the 2nd & only to this date to go into syndication. this is a mile stone. considering this hasn't happened for any other TF cartoon series after beastwars.
Yeah, but other than the G1 cartoon, Beast Wars was the only other TF show, at the time, to be released in the US to my knowledge. So, G1 came out, and went to syndication, and then BW just followed suit.
Tigermegatron wrote: (8)Beastwars was the very first cartoon series to end each season with a cliffhanger.
Really? The first cartoon ever to EVER end each season with a cliffhanger? Or did you mean the first TF cartoon?

Other than that, I tend to agree with your points. Ask Dom. I loved the crap out of Beast Wars.
I was doing a verse with other Transformers cartoons/toys. I wasn't doing a verse with other non-TF cartoons/toys.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote:
Ursus mellifera wrote:
I think Tigermegatron has a point here actually. Didn't the Constructions have like 3 origins in the G1 cartoon? And most of G1 was 'Decepticon plot of the week' type stories rather than actual story arcs.
Gosh, I didn't really like the plots of the G1 cartoon, either. Except for oddities like "Webworld." I also think he has a good point about BW including intelligent robots that transform into animals for the first time.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote:Gosh, I didn't really like the plots of the G1 cartoon, either. Except for oddities like "Webworld." I also think he has a good point about BW including intelligent robots that transform into animals for the first time.
Not sure if serious...? No one said anything about liking or disliking the G1 plots. The comment was more about the quality and structure of the stories.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote:
Ursus mellifera wrote:Gosh, I didn't really like the plots of the G1 cartoon, either. Except for oddities like "Webworld." I also think he has a good point about BW including intelligent robots that transform into animals for the first time.
Not sure if serious...? No one said anything about liking or disliking the G1 plots. The comment was more about the quality and structure of the stories.
That's true, but I would argue that a story with poor quality and structure is by definition a bad story.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I don't see that anyone actually called it "poor" either. But even so, you can't deny that G1 had some pretty big faults to it.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote:I don't see that anyone actually called it "poor" either. But even so, you can't deny that G1 had some pretty big faults to it.
Absolutely. I'll give it full credit for starting the whole thing up, and that's probably part of why it has some of the problems it does, but there's been a lot better since.