Would anyone buy Masterpiece Beastwars 7.5 inch sized toys?

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

I think the following 4 beastwars toys stand the greatest chance of selling decent in retail chain stores world wide; Optimus Primal, Megatron,Cheetor/tigertron/ravage & Dinobot.

FIRST OFF: I think only the 1996 season one forms will work. The transmetal 1 & 2 forms won't work because they'd look too kiddie & over gimmicked. transmetals won't work because the beast mode would be metalic while the robot mode would have fake fur/skin on it. the TM2 forms won't work because they'd look even worse than the TM1 versions. as TM2 toys would have patches of metalic & fur/skin in both modes,with even more kiddie/gimicked cyborg parts all over the toys.

Various TF internet fans came up a interesting idea to make Masterpiece beastwars toys really cool. the idea was to add fake fur or skin to the beast modes to give them that realistic look/feel. I support this idea as it would look great in toy form.

Obviously since the 1990's Beastwars toys were super poseable. these Masterpiece beastwars toys would have to be more poseable than their 1990's toys versions.

To qualify these as masterpiece beastwars toys they'd have to have the following: extremly super poseable in both mode. poseable fingers/wrist are a must. a few diecast parts in the robot mode. high sculpt/design catered towards adult buyers. me even proportioned in both modes. tons of extra accessories/weapons.

Optimus Primal most popular & beloved form was his season one 1996 form. so they could put fake fur on the beast mode. make it beyond super poseable. put some diecast parts in the robot feet. sculpt/design the beast mode to look as much like a real ape as possible. 7.5 inches tall in robot mode

BW Megatron's most beloved form is debattable between the 1996 & 1998 TM1 season 2 form. Not that many liked the TM2 season 3 dragon form,so that's out. I think the 1996 Megatron toy might transfer better into a Masterpiece toy. the TM1 form might look too overly kiddie & gimmicked. 7.5 inches tall in robot mode

Cheetor/tigertron/ravage. beyond super poseable. fake beast fur, obviously the 1996 form. as the tm1 & tm2 forms were ugly & weird.
tons of weapons/accessories. 7.5 inches tall in robot mode

Dinobot,1996 season one form. perhaps the designers could make both modes look realistic by adding fake dinosaur skin & all the bones detail he has in robot mode on his legs. beyond super poseable. tons of accessories/weapons. 7.5 inches tall in robot mode.

I don't think any insect/bots beastwars masterpiece Toys would sell decent in stores. because more buyers like jungle animals & dinosaurs better than insects. anyways more insect/bots beastwars toys warmed the shelves/pegs than the jungle animals/dinosaurs based beastwars toys.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: Would anyone buy Masterpiece Beastwars 7.5 inch sized to

Post by 138 Scourge »

I'd buy Quickstrike or maybe Rattrap. Oh, or Retrax. But I'd have better odds of buying Beast Machines "Masterpiece" toys, especially if they could make them more faithful to the show's designs.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

I don't know about gluing on fake fur to the figures. I can't picture that working out too well. I think a super-detailed sculpt would do just as well.

White Tiger:
http://www.amazon.com/Schleich-14382-Ti ... d_sim_t_39

Rhino:
http://www.amazon.com/Schleich-14193-Bl ... sim_misc_9

Cheetah:
http://www.amazon.com/Schleich-14614-Ch ... d_sim_t_74

Gorilla:
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-111589-Sil ... d_sim_t_78

Panther:
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Safari-Wildl ... hf_shvl_43

T-rex:
http://www.amazon.com/Schleich-16448-Ty ... 220&sr=1-3

Velociraptor:
http://www.amazon.com/Papo-55023-Veloci ... 220&sr=1-9

I do agree that they would need to be super articulated. I'd love to see their wrists and fingers articulated, and show-accurate detailing is a must. As far as accessories go, I have a few ideas. I'm thinking only accessories from the 1st season of the show (except for Dinobot, who kept his original body):

Megatron: Both golden disks (Earth and Vok), his rubber ducky, his rifle,

Dinobot: the big ol' magazine of bullets from Coming of the Fuzors, plus his big ass gun from that ep, I thought maybe he should get one of the golden disks

Tigatron: Snowstalker, uh. . .

Cheetor: Communication post

Primal: Blast shield, all his weapons, maybe that flower from Gorilla Warfare :P

Or you know what would be really cool!!! If you could buy the entire season 1 Maximal team (show only) and each came with a section of the Axalon bridge that you could piece together!! That would f'in rock!!!
Megatron, of course, would come with his throne and that holographic orb computer, and a big display monitor that he was always using. And a toothbrush for his T-rex head :D
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I gotta disagree about the Transmetal and Transmetal II forms. I would buy MP Transmetal II Megatron in a heartbeat, especially if they found a way to make the "housecoat of DOOM" from Beast Machines for it.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Tigermegatron wrote:The transmetal 1 & 2 forms won't work because they'd look too kiddie & over gimmicked.
How would they look too kiddie and over gimmicked? Some of the Masterpiece figures have had a lot of gimmicks so I don't see that would be a problem. And I really don't see how you could call any of them too kiddie. Such as a skeletal cyborg raptor? I think several of the Transmetals/Transmetal 2's would look great as Masterpieces actually.
Mako Crab wrote:Or you know what would be really cool!!! If you could buy the entire season 1 Maximal team (show only) and each came with a section of the Axalon bridge that you could piece together!! That would f'in rock!!!
Megatron, of course, would come with his throne and that holographic orb computer, and a big display monitor that he was always using. And a toothbrush for his T-rex head
That is a cool idea. Waspinator with the CR tank and assorted 'Waspy parts'. Tarantulas with his layer's multi-screen computer and flashlight spider-bots. Maybe Inferno with a stasis pod....
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Shockwave wrote:I gotta disagree about the Transmetal and Transmetal II forms. I would buy MP Transmetal II Megatron in a heartbeat, especially if they found a way to make the "housecoat of DOOM" from Beast Machines for it.
the transmetals 1 & 2 forms didn't make any sense. as the beast modes now had the metal stuff & the robot modes now had the flesh stuff. the TM2 complicated things further by making them ugly cyborgs with patches of flesh & cyborg parts in both modes.

I'll admit the TM1 toys were better than the TM2 toys. I really hated the mis-proprtioned & Distorted limbs/body parts on 85% of the TM2 toys.

TM2 Megatron is a decent looking toy from a mile away. up close,the toy looks awful in both modes. it's a design/sculpt & engineering nightmare. it suffers from too much excess kibble in both modes,rubbery parts. and not hiding the parts from each mode properly. lastly it's 85% all red & needed more main colors & high high light colors to break up all that red.

I'd be up for a Master piece styled TM2 Megatron toy if they fix a ton of problems the toy had. like no rubber parts. create a better transformation for the 2 modes. get rid of the wheels for the half axed 3rd vechicle mode. THEY NEED TO SERIOUSLY FIX THE MIS-PROPORTIONS THE TOY HAS IN ROBOT MODE. The robot mode needs to look more sleek & not fat like the 1998 toy was. the robot legs need to be longer & the dragon/robot chest needs to be shorter. THEY GOTTA GET RID OF THE OVER EXCESS KIBBLE STICKING OUT IN BOTH MOLDS IN A UN-BLENDING/UN-HIDING FASHION. The in both modes needs to be kibble free from all angles. GET Rid of the weird clear baseball cap the robot head has. Their needs to be more colors on the toy to break up all that red.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

The only two things I don't like about the TM2 Megs is the bubble on the chest in robot mode and the head not being very well stashed in dragon mode (depending on how you transform him, there is a way to do it where the head is hidden but still not very well). On a MP toy I really don't think they would use the rubber and I think the transformation would be different enough to hide everything in both modes. At the very least I would want the robot mode chest to look more like the cartoon.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

I LOVE a lot of the Transmetals. Cheetor looked kind of Voltron-ish, except better. Rattrap was cool with those big wheels hanging off his back. Megatron was looking DAMN sharp in his TM1 form (it's the best body he ever had in my opinion). TM2 Dinobot was fucking cool. Loved that skeletal raptor. Tarantulus looked way, WAAAY better as a transmetal. Looked seriously cool, unlike his squat, fat season 1 body. Primals' TM1 body wasn't so hot with that monkey face in bot mode, but I liked the blue metal monkey. His OpOp body was cool, even if the colors were garrish. Who else? TM2 Blackarachnia and TM2 Megatron looked horrible, IMO. Just. . . ugh. Pink?! Pink bra, bikini underwear, and those frilly things on her head??? WTF?? Tacky! Oh, and high heels too. This is what it means to be a Maximal, apparently. And Megatron. . . I'm sure there's a way that they could've made his TM1 form even better, but making the guy into a big, giant, red dragon, and ditching those cool shoulder pads, that bitching chest-plate, and the black, purple, and tan color scheme was not the way. Epic Fail on all counts.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Mako Crab wrote:Just. . . ugh. Pink?! Pink bra, bikini underwear, and those frilly things on her head??? WTF?? Tacky! Oh, and high heels too. This is what it means to be a Maximal, apparently.
I fucking love when people complain about shit like this. Like it's a crime for a female to show off her body.

...I mean granted, she's a robot, so she's showing off her body however, but I see similar things in comics too. People bitch about Power Girl's cleavage. I'm like, Power Girl's whole reason for existing is her cleavage.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Mako Crab wrote:I LOVE a lot of the Transmetals. Cheetor looked kind of Voltron-ish, except better. Rattrap was cool with those big wheels hanging off his back. Megatron was looking DAMN sharp in his TM1 form (it's the best body he ever had in my opinion). TM2 Dinobot was fucking cool. Loved that skeletal raptor. Tarantulus looked way, WAAAY better as a transmetal. Looked seriously cool, unlike his squat, fat season 1 body. Primals' TM1 body wasn't so hot with that monkey face in bot mode, but I liked the blue metal monkey. His OpOp body was cool, even if the colors were garrish. Who else? TM2 Blackarachnia and TM2 Megatron looked horrible, IMO. Just. . . ugh. Pink?! Pink bra, bikini underwear, and those frilly things on her head??? WTF?? Tacky! Oh, and high heels too. This is what it means to be a Maximal, apparently. And Megatron. . . I'm sure there's a way that they could've made his TM1 form even better, but making the guy into a big, giant, red dragon, and ditching those cool shoulder pads, that bitching chest-plate, and the black, purple, and tan color scheme was not the way. Epic Fail on all counts.
My favorite Blackarachnia toy was the Beasmachines deluxe sized blackarachnia.

I found it interesting that the botcon arcee toy colors made the already sexy TM2 Blackarachnia mold look even more sexier.

It's Too bad OTFCC Never did their botcon TM2 Megatron repaint/remold using the CR/RID Giagatron/megatron ultra sized toy mold. the botcon toy was suspose to be a extensive remold as it gave the toy 3 newer heads,one new robot head & 2 new beast heads.

I didn't like the Optimal Optimus toy,I didn't even like it in the primal prime colors. the mold itself was just not my preferred taste.
My 2 favorite Optimus Primal toy molds are the 1996 ultra & the Beastmachines/Rid TRU store exclusive supreme sized BM Optimus Primal toy. the supreme gets a bonus for having Gary chalks voice on the voice chip on the toy.