Electro-Disruptor Ligier (Cloaked Mirage) and "Generations":

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Electro-Disruptor Ligier (Cloaked Mirage) and "Generations":

Post by Dominic »

Electro-Disruptor Mirage/Ligier and "Generations":

Ah, this nrings back some memories. I initially ordered this toy the better part of a year ago, and it evokes memories of that happy time. Specifically, it reminds me of when I could afford to spend obscene amounts of mony on Japanese Transformers.

Between the process of ordering a copy of this set, and a shipping error, I got this toy long after I could have justified it otherwise. (I paid about $130usd, in case you are wondering.)

Anyway....

Mirage (Ligier): robot/racecar
This toy is cast from one of those molds that I can happily by any iteration of. (This is my 3rd, following "Classics" Mirage and " Clasics" Dragstrip.) The mould just works well for capturing a character that is fast and, (depending on how the figure is posed), arrogant.

While the cloaked Mirage, sold at BotCon 2007, received mixed reviews, I get the feeling that if it had been more like this figure, more people would have liked it. While the 2007 toy was cast entirely in translucent blue plastic, to represent Mirage's ability to invisibly "cloak" himself, this toy is moulded in light and dark translucent plastic, with some paint added. The result is a figure that looks like it is fading in/out of visibility.

The color distribution closely, but not quite, mirrors the color mapping on a regular Mirage figure.

"Generations" volume 1:
The only way to order the above described Mirage figure was to buy the "Generations" book, and use an enclosed coupon to order the figure directly from Takara-Tomy. (My copy seems to have the coupon, so I assume that somebody ordered multiples of the toy with another copy of the book.)

The book is more of a magazine, and is shipped in a taped poly-bag.

The content largely consists of photos and short descriptions (written in Japanese) of various toys. There is a definite, if not comprehensive, focus on Optimus Prime figures. Recent lines, including "Masterpiece", "Alternators" ("Binaltecj"), and "Classics" (Henkei"), are given the bulk of the pages. Most of the "Henkei" entries feature inset images that show US variants of the toys. In some cases, the in-set images focus on interesting elements of the figures, such as Sunstreaker and Sideswipe's shared construction. Oddly, the image of Dinobot is of the US variant, and there are no images of the Japanese variant.

There are also some lovely scans of the US product catalogues from the first few years of the franchise.

Finally, there is a two page comic featuring Mirage saving Ironhide from Octane. Octane is revealed to be possessed by Starscream's ghost. This story is to be continued in volume 2, which will have an offer for a Starscream's ghost figure. (I am unlikely to review this, as I cannot justify ordering it now.) As the comic reads from left to right, and its economical narrative, it seems to be written for a US audience. There are some obvious deviations from the old cartoons, along with some references. How, or even if, these will be addressed will likely be handled in future chapters.

Grade: A I am not factoring in price, but this is a fun set.
andersonh1

Re: Electro-Disruptor Ligier (Cloaked Mirage) and "Generations":

Post by andersonh1 »

You ordered it a year ago? Why did it take so long to arrive?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I wasn't following the development closely, but my memory vaguely insists that the preorder went up a year ago, Dom ordered (and presumably paid for it), and then it came out just recently.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I keep reading his name as "Liger" and thinking "Why the hell is Mirage called that?"
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

138 Scourge wrote:I keep reading his name as "Liger" and thinking "Why the hell is Mirage called that?"
Because it's a cross between a lion and a tiger, bred for its skills in magic. :P
I disappear.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

"Ligier" is an Engrish corruption of "Mirage". (But, I often read it as "Liger" as well.)

I did not pay when I ordered it. But, I was committed, and had allocated the money. I did pay before things got really hairy for me. Objectively, I could have backed out. But, I did not want to do that. If not for my recent troubles, I would be even happier with this toy.

Dom
-not saying it was a good idea mind you......
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Actually, Ligier is the kind of car Mirage is, just like Lambor (Sideswipe) is named as such because he's a Lamborghini, and Convoy is named as such because he's...yeah.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Odd. I have also seen the name spelled "Rigier", which I read as a corruption of "Mirage". O6 is making sense though.

Dom
-actually curious about chapter 2.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Nah, Rigier would just be the corruption of Ligier. The Japanese screw up a lot of things when it comes to phonetics, but they're not *that* bad.