"Classics" Jetfire

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
Dominic
Supreme-Class

"Classics" Jetfire

Post by Dominic »

Jetfie: robot/jet-fighter

note: I am reviewing the Jetfire from a foreign released boxed set. As I do not have any other Jetfire, I will assume it is more or less the same. But, I do notice that the Grimlock it is packaged with has some ink-washing the Japanese toy lacks, so I cannot rule out similar, if subtle, differences being the case with iterations of Jetfire.

The plane mode is not terrible. And, to be fair, I tend to be forgiving of one of its big problems, thick under-carriage. However, something that is tolerable on a deluxe is more vexing on a larger toy.

Jetfire's plane mode has problems with pieces getting in the way of other pieces. There is a sort of backpack/booster piece, (evocative of the same piece on the original), that clips on to the back of the plane (and robot). Unfortunately, it blocks two of the tail-wings from being raised. (This is also like the original toy. But duplicating old design flaws ishardly a virtue.)

A common design flaw, (with roots in the original line), in modern "Transformers" toys is one form or the other having left-over parts. I first noticed this with "Animated". (I skipped "Classics" when it was first released.) Considering the fact this was largely eliminated during the Beast-era, it is annoying to see it come back now.

Jetfire's robot mode does not quite have this problem, but it comes close. The robot has an optional battle helmet. The helmet itself is rather clunky looking. But, there is no place to store it other than Jetfire's noggin. And, simply throwing it in a box is made a less attractive option because the helmet is important to the jet mode.

This toy iis not all bad. But, it has some serious flaws. I am pretty sure much of the praise collectors have for this toy is related to the fact it is Jetfire, anfd its similarities to the original.

grade: C This is not a terrible toy. But, it is not worth owning more than one variant of. If you have TFU Treadbolt, skip this one.

Dom
-almost caught up on reviews.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: "Classics" Jetfire

Post by 138 Scourge »

There's nowhere to store the rest of Jetfire's armor other than on the figure, either. Thing is, the removal of those pieces is it's own gimmick. You can transform Jetfire back and forth without removing 'em, so it's not quite the same as, say, Ratchet's tools or something like that.

'Course, I just display my Jetfire with his armor on because he rocks harder that way, but whichever works for you.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Yeah, I bought it because It's Jetfire. I don't like the Skyfire look 'at all.' Also, he looks incredibly stupid with the wings up in "butterfly" combination--fold those suckers down so they look properly kickass.

None of Jetfire's armour is necessary to remove, making it less sucky than Animated's cruddy weapons. He's also the only figure that this is necessary to do this with--everyone else has good storage.

Also, to be fair, Jetfire's fists are pretty much the perfect size to throw the helmet onto. He can hold it!

My issue with Jetfire was mostly one of paintapps. He's got a 'ton' of paint on his wings but *nothing* on his body. A blackwash would have helped immensely. Oh! And he needed an above-thigh swivel, thassright.

I think mine's starting to yellow a bit. :(

But yeah. The reason I praised him so much was basically because it's a new, kickass Jetfire toy that wasn't a repaint and didn't suck. In a world where a minty G1 Jetfire fetches huge prices and has very little likelihood of getting a reissue (and I doubt Bandai is going to release a Jetfire-colours Valkyrie any time soon), that's as good as it gets.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Jetfire is one of my favorites from the Classics line. The figure does a really good job of incorporating elements of the show and toy models into the same figure, and I really enjoy the way the design has many of the same elements as the original toy. To be fair, it's not as good as the original, in my opinion, but it is a good cut down version.
The plane mode is not terrible. And, to be fair, I tend to be forgiving of one of its big problems, thick under-carriage. However, something that is tolerable on a deluxe is more vexing on a larger toy.
You'll remember that one of my major complaints about Starscream from the first movie line was the massive undercarriage junk. In that instance, it made a sleek airplane look bulky and very non-aerodynamic. With Classics Jetfire the junk is there, but it's less obtrusive somehow. Possibly the blocky nature of the parts makes it integrate better. The arms just sitting to the side do annoy though,
Jetfire's plane mode has problems with pieces getting in the way of other pieces. There is a sort of backpack/booster piece, (evocative of the same piece on the original), that clips on to the back of the plane (and robot). Unfortunately, it blocks two of the tail-wings from being raised. (This is also like the original toy. But duplicating old design flaws ishardly a virtue.)

A common design flaw, (with roots in the original line), in modern "Transformers" toys is one form or the other having left-over parts. I first noticed this with "Animated". (I skipped "Classics" when it was first released.) Considering the fact this was largely eliminated during the Beast-era, it is annoying to see it come back now.
Every part has a place in both modes. Admittedly, you can display both the plane and bot with or without armor and helmet, but to me that says "flexibility", not "design flaw".
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

Yeesh, harshin' on my favorite Classics toy. I've always been a huge Jetfire fan, despite never owning the original, and I love the hell outta this thing. To me, he looks awesome in robot mode, wings up or down. And yeah, the removable armor/missile launchers and booster pack are a nod to removeable armor of the original, and the helmet, albeit too big, is to satisfy both those who prefer the toy and cartoon heads. It's also solid, and just the right amount of complexity for its size. If you're not happy setting the helmet aside, or having him carry it like a fighter pilot, you can always do what I do and stick it (backwards) on the chunk of kibble/hinge thing that sticks up behind his head. It fits perfectly, adds minimally to his kibble, and has guns on it.

I own Jetfire, Botcon Dreadwind, Treadbolt, and probably whatever other future recolors they do of this thing down the line, up to and including flaming hot pink.
I disappear.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Mirage wrote: whatever other future recolors they do of this thing down the line, up to and including flaming hot pink.
I would be so on board for that recolor, you don't even know...
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The undercarriange bothers me here because it is so intrusively visible if the plane's wings are moved at all. I did not complain about the undercarriage on movie Starscream for the simple fact that the toy has deeper problems at the design/concept level.

The helmet bothers me because it looks so clunky. I would rather have had one head on this toy.

It is not the worst "Voyager" scale toy I have seen, let alone actually own. But, it leaves much to be desired.

Dom
-would like an original Jetfire.
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

Dominic wrote:The undercarriange bothers me here because it is so intrusively visible if the plane's wings are moved at all.
We may have to agree to disagree on this one. Pretty much ALL aircraft TF's have at least some undercarriage kibble-- I think Jetfire pulls it off better than most. The legs are especially well integrated, and the arms-- stick out a little, but at least they're covered in guns and launchers.

Dominic wrote:The helmet bothers me because it looks so clunky. I would rather have had one head on this toy.
I can see that. Maybe a flip-down visor would have been a better compromise to pull off both looks...
Dominic wrote: Dom
-would like an original Jetfire.
Me too!
I disappear.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I have and thoroughly enjoy the original Jetfire, yet am also fond of the Skyfire design. While Classics Jetfire is hardly perfect, I do think he's a great proof of concept - both designs can be melded well, as evidenced artistically by the Dreamwave G1 V3 comics.

The toy itself is indeed clunky, the gun 'storage' and fists not hiding in vehicle mode did irk me, as did the jet being too small, and the nose too thick. Yet, this was a Classics toy, not Universe, so the size is an understandable limitation of the line at the time.

Robot mode's lack of articulation bugs me. The armour I thoroughly enjoy, both for what it does and represents, although I wish it did something more than simply come off, and I also wish there was more of it - leg pods et cetera.

The helmet can store in a fashion, if you turn it around it fits okay on the stub sticking up behind Jetfire's head, and the guns can point forward.

Perfect, no, but a good precedent for a larger and better figure in the future.