Movie Reviews

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Movie Reviews

Post by Dominic »

I recall the dog being in the first movie, but did not see the IMAX release.

It was a mastiff, like Bones. But, it was a different dog, Bay's or not.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:I recall the dog being in the first movie, but did not see the IMAX release.
You're right. The scene I was thinking of with the dog is when Bumblebee comes back after signaling the Autobots and Sam calls Miles telling him it's Satan's Camaro.
It was a mastiff, like Bones. But, it was a different dog, Bay's or not.
I still say it's close enough. :P
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

You never had a dog, did you?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:You never had a dog, did you?
I currently have 2 dogs actually. I guess you're not following my meaning if you're asking me that.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dom is deathly serious about pithy few things in his life: Author intent, children not having toys, poop jokes, and pets.
Spoiler
:P
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Just got back from seeing it a 2nd time. The 2nd viewing really helped my opinion of the movie. Most all of my personal qualms with the flick are now resolved. The quick list:

Prime's plan:
Originally I had thought that he said, "He had to make them think we had gone, so the humans could see that the Decepticons will never leave." It sounded like he was sitting back in his recliner, chomping on energon goodies while Chicago was getting murdalized and only stepped in after his point had been proven. That totally struck me as a dick move to make.

Upon a 2nd viewing. . .

Prime says, "Now the humans see that no matter what, the Decepticons will never leave."
Nowhere does he say that it was part of his plan to let humans get murdered or the planet get invaded.
Then he says, "We had to make them (the Decepticons, not the humans) believe we had left." Before, I heard it as him saying he wanted the humans to think they had gone, in order to really let the weight of being helpless sink in. But this time I got that he meant he was trying to fool the 'cons. So it's much better in my eyes now.

Prime executing Megatron:
First time I saw it, I thought Megatron said, "I just wanted to be in charge." Past tense. I thought Megatron came across as burnt out and tired of fighting and having seen Cybertron destroyed, only wanted to end the war. Then Prime kills him out of the blue in the most violent manner possible. Not very becoming of a heroic character.

Upon the 2nd viewing. . .

Megatron says, "I just want to be in charge." Present tense. He's calling for a truce where he's still in charge and calling the shots. Not much of a truce and would undoubtedly require Optimus to throw away all his beliefs about freedom and the sanctity of life if he chose to serve under Megatron's new regime. Then, of course, Megatron goads him on with, "Besides, who would you be without me?" He's practically asking for Prime to attack him (which would be awesome on a psychological level- like a suicide by Autobot kind of deal?). I still think that scene could've been handled better, and apparently I'm not the only one according to GS.

Prime executing Sentinel:
After Sentinel sliced off Op's arm, Op was grabbing onto SP with his one good arm and pleading with him to stop and see reason. Sentinel kicks him away and stabs him again, raking him across the bridge in the process. Sentinel showed absolutely no mercy or remorse towards OP. So when Optimus gains the upper hand again, there's no mercy to be given to Sentinel anymore. He pissed away every chance he had to redeem himself and killed (and tried to kill) those who respected him most.

Also, the pacing of the movie seemed much faster this time. The 1st time around it seemed to drag in some spots, but it was pretty good this time. Probably just because I knew where it was all going this time. The movie felt a lot tighter plot-wise too. It really, really improved on my 2nd viewing.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

I'm pretty disappointed in Megatron's demise. He had very little to do in this movie. It looked like he was sitting around, taking a nap, when Carly (btw, scene of her standing amidst the carnage staring into space with her mouth open like an idiot = HILARIOUS) comes up to him and calls him a bitch. Then he gets killed? I like my trilogies to build strong arcs for their characters, and Megatron's arc just fell apart after ROTF.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I think the idea was that Megatron was tired. And, they were trying to make him "not that bad" in early drafts of the script.

Megatron not killing Carly struck me as a kind of odd. He was shown to have no regard for human. Why would he hold back against her?

To touch on Tigermegatron's thread:
I could care less about Lebouf. I know little about him, and have little interest in finding out more.

Now, the characer of Sam is is annoying. In all 3 movies, the Sam plot just kind of drags as he shambled through teen and twenty-something wangsting. Not only is he a do-nothing, there is no reason for Sam to be a do-nothing. Scenes with the character are tedious and are little more than text book examples of why most fans do not like human characters.

In contrast, the Lennox or Epps scenes are well paced and do serve a purpose.

Now, inappropriate image time:

Can you imagine if Bay put cuts of Prime and the Autobots mopping up the Decepticons into the credits? Remember, Prime said, "We kill them all." Imagine scenes with the Autobots executing Decepticons, all set to that music from the credits.

-Imagine a Deception, (or maybe one of Sentinel's Autobots), pleading for mercy. "I was just following orders!" And, they Sideswipe would say. "So am I."

-Imagine a line of Decepticons kneeling by a ditch. The screen would go black for a second, (as it often did when something bad was happening in the movie), and then the Decepticons would be dead.

-Optimus rolls up to where Megatron was keeping the baby Decepticons in Africa. He would approach them like an uncle, and then..."Got your face!"

Dom
-well, Prime said "We kill them all.", not "We kill them all, except the babies."
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:-well, Prime said "We kill them all.", not "We kill them all, except the babies."
I think you might be taking that line a bit too literally. With Sentinel Prime on the Decepticons side, Optimus may have simply been referring that the Autobots shouldn't hold back, despite allegiances.

Besides, with most of the Decepticons in ships, they'd probably just retreat.