Sideways

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Sideways

Post by Onslaught Six »

Okay, that's what I thought. S'why I was confused.

It's been a long couple days and I'm out of my laptop comfort zone. <.<
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:No no, I suspect the right hand's claws were to have slid out Wolverine style on a small spring-loaded mechanism. This based on those claws being separately moulded for no discernable reason, and the panel in the top of the right forearm that does nothing.
I stand corrected, I see what you mean. I still don't think there's enough room for an internal travel piece though, the wrist width is pretty narrow to accommodate an internal sliding rail strong enough to avoid breakage, but I'm not as confident since it's not the whole hand we're talking about here anymore. That said, I think it's likely that it's just a separate piece due to manufacturing limitations.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

JediTricks wrote:I stand corrected, I see what you mean. I still don't think there's enough room for an internal travel piece though, the wrist width is pretty narrow to accommodate an internal sliding rail strong enough to avoid breakage, but I'm not as confident since it's not the whole hand we're talking about here anymore. That said, I think it's likely that it's just a separate piece due to manufacturing limitations.
I'm tempted to take him apart and check the internal moulding now. I'd not expect it to slide impressively, and it'd have a gap thanks to the screwhole through the wheel, yet it seems like a distinct possibility. Given the other hand does not have the claws moulded separately, I can't see why manufacturing would cause it on one hand alone.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

You know, i've never thought Sideways was a very effective transformer name. I mean, it's a direction. I supposed it kind of implies shiftiness, or the unexpected, but... it's just not a good name. Just sayin'
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:I'm tempted to take him apart and check the internal moulding now. I'd not expect it to slide impressively, and it'd have a gap thanks to the screwhole through the wheel, yet it seems like a distinct possibility. Given the other hand does not have the claws moulded separately, I can't see why manufacturing would cause it on one hand alone.
The right hand has the claws shot off the outer panel, but the left hand the panel doesn't reach and the inner panel has to house the screw hole for the spinning wheel so there'd be less structural integrity. The hand is on a thin plate, I can see it in there, but it appears to be part of the forearm's structural integrity rather than a moving part (I haven't taken it apart though). The panel on the top of the arm is hinged.

donosaur wrote:You know, i've never thought Sideways was a very effective transformer name. I mean, it's a direction. I supposed it kind of implies shiftiness, or the unexpected, but... it's just not a good name. Just sayin'
Agreed. Works for mercenaries and double-dealers, but that's it. Too many names are more about protecting proprietary rights than making a good character.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Took the forearm apart, three screws and five components. Wheel drops right out, inner arm comes off to allow the claws and arm panel to come off. Claws jut have a hole that the wheel's screw pipe runs through, they're black plastic painted silver. There's room in the end of his forearm, none through it - possibly a durability thing, as the little screw in the middle runs right through any gimmick that would've been there. It makes no sense to have the separate forearm panel and claws if there was no intended gimmick in his left forearm, they're extra parts that cost extra money and don't look significantly better for it. If the wheel was meant to spin like the saw blade the arms would surely have been moulded in the same way.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:Took the forearm apart, three screws and five components. Wheel drops right out, inner arm comes off to allow the claws and arm panel to come off. Claws jut have a hole that the wheel's screw pipe runs through, they're black plastic painted silver. There's room in the end of his forearm, none through it - possibly a durability thing, as the little screw in the middle runs right through any gimmick that would've been there. It makes no sense to have the separate forearm panel and claws if there was no intended gimmick in his left forearm, they're extra parts that cost extra money and don't look significantly better for it. If the wheel was meant to spin like the saw blade the arms would surely have been moulded in the same way.
Pretty much what I figured. A thought though, if they were going to the trouble of remolding the forearm to take out a gimmick, they would have addressed that little extra panel, so that may be there for an entirely different reason.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I think Hasbro's engineers are sometimes like programmers. Sometimes when you need to cut something real quick, you just comment out those lines of code and make sure they don't work anymore. If you can just wrap plastic around some cut gimmicks, why not do it, eh?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:I think Hasbro's engineers are sometimes like programmers. Sometimes when you need to cut something real quick, you just comment out those lines of code and make sure they don't work anymore. If you can just wrap plastic around some cut gimmicks, why not do it, eh?
Often, a redesign like this is largely done at the factory end, not on the design end. But if they're going to change the tool anyway at the design stage, it's just as easy to pull that panel out and redistribute it to the halves than leave it on its own cavity and do all the manufacturing and assembly to deal with it.