I really hate the packaging's character art

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

I really hate the packaging's character art

Post by JediTricks »

You know, the face in the upper right corner of the character, and elsewhere throughout the design. I very much hate this face, and it appears that the actual "face" part is largely generic, all 3 deluxes seem to have the same face and just different helmets, colors, and bodies. And it's a creepy, icky face with soulless eyes (rare for TF) and a weird open mouth.

Anybody else share my distaste?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Re: I really hate the packaging's character art

Post by onslaught86 »

While I thoroughly approve the return to package art, I agree. ALL the art for Universe is terrible. It's so static and lifeless and not remotely exciting, nothing about it says "Buy this toy" let alone "Retro pop-art" or "I want this on a t-shirt NOW". I've heard rumours Hasbro actually requested the art be like that.. Why, the mind boggles. Throw fruit at them at SDCC for it!
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Yeah...I noticed how completely screwed-up the faces looked. Maybe, for some reason, trying to make 'em look more like regular robots?
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Why would they request it to be like this? It's just awful!!! That makes no sense to me, I hope someday they explain this.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

About the only reason I can possibly think of for them doing this is to get around the odd European laws on product depiction. Apparently a lot of the x-treme boxart poses are not considered accurate representations of the product inside, hence having pictures of the toy where there'd normally be boxart. Perhaps this lame art is acceptable.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

onslaught86 wrote:I've heard rumours Hasbro actually requested the art be like that.
It's not a rumor. Marcelo Matere (the artist that drew the box art for these figures) commented about the style on his Deviantart page. For his post showing Prow's art he said it was Hasbro's request to make the art more static, like statues. But yeah, why Hasbro would request this is beyond me... I prefer the dynamic poses personally.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It's not the poses I'm pissy about. It's the DULL SURPRISE expressions.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
CrossRook
Gestalt Combiner

Post by CrossRook »

Onslaught Six wrote:It's not the poses I'm pissy about. It's the DULL SURPRISE expressions.
Indeed, they could have at least put a smile on that face. Ba-Dum-Pshh.

They do seem to be getting better though. Silverbolt has a snarl, and the leaked packing for Ironhide shows him posed.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Oh, I see, they wanted them to look regal, important, like statues. And then the artist decided that he'd just make them look like F-grade ass instead.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Like I said, it's the faces that's doing it. The rest of it's cool. And I still say it was Hasbro's fault.

Of course, he could've been interpreting awful early pics--I remember thinking Prowl's face was just dreadful when pics first hit. It was only after getting him and really looking at his face that I got it.

With this post, I have overtaken 86 in the post count department. Fwahaha! Race you to a thousand!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.