Countdown and Darkwing

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
onslaught86

Countdown and Darkwing

Post by onslaught86 »

Sooo, by now a good few of us will have seen repaints of Universe Silverbolt as Darkwing and Cybertron Defense Red Alert as Countdown. I can sneakily tell you guys they're exclusives for next year, had heard various whisperings a while back. Silverbolt's a really lacklustre mould, but I dig Darkwing enough to shell out for that. Countdown, though, that's an inspired and welcome choice, I like it much more than I would've liked Perceptor from that mould. Of course, Doubledealer would've been even better..
andersonh1

Re: Countdown and Darkwing

Post by andersonh1 »

onslaught86 wrote:Sooo, by now a good few of us will have seen repaints of Universe Silverbolt as Darkwing and Cybertron Defense Red Alert as Countdown. I can sneakily tell you guys they're exclusives for next year, had heard various whisperings a while back. Silverbolt's a really lacklustre mould, but I dig Darkwing enough to shell out for that. Countdown, though, that's an inspired and welcome choice, I like it much more than I would've liked Perceptor from that mould. Of course, Doubledealer would've been even better..
Countdown is one I might pick up, since I have the original. The massive change in size for the character is amusing, and Micromaster homages are always welcome. But while I like Silverbolt, Darkwing doesn't look like Darkwing as much as he looks like Silverbolt in different colors. The repaint just doesn't work to convince me that it's a different character. I guess Silverbolt is too distinctive. This one really needed some remolding somewhere to work.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Maybe it's the fact that I thought Silverbolt sucked, but Darkwing looks really really cool.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Countdown is one I might pick up, since I have the original. The massive change in size for the character is amusing, and Micromaster homages are always welcome.
I assume this is intended to be Countdown prior to his downsizing, ala the DW canon. Which is neat. Micromaster homages I'll agree on if they're Micromasters 'worth' homaging, there's too many of them that I will never ever care about.
while I like Silverbolt, Darkwing doesn't look like Darkwing as much as he looks like Silverbolt in different colors. The repaint just doesn't work to convince me that it's a different characte
The paint on the head helps a lot there, I really can see it as Darkwing and am kinda excited. I don't like Silverbolt much thanks to his ridiculously basic transformation, lack of moving parts to justify the price point, and terribly implemented sound and light gimmicks (Arrrgh, his eyes only light up DURING transformation, and his backpack's upside down, and he has the same sounds as Powerglide). Yet I 'do' like Darkwing, this feels a lot more like him than Dreadwind seemed Dreadwindy. Now I'm gonna have to get a Dreadwind, since I sold the one from the set I imported.

Also, Darkwing is fifty times cooler than the sheer meh that is Stormcloud. Heh.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

onslaught86 wrote:Also, Darkwing is fifty times cooler than the sheer meh that is Stormcloud. Heh.
I like Stormcloud, but not enough to pay Ultra prices for a repaint.