Transformers/Terminator crossover

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers/Terminator crossover

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:08 pmOne possible ending: the T-800 kills the Cybertronians and creates what will become the original Skynet. (I don't like this idea beyond it ruling out a sequel. But, I can see IDW going for this.)
Still better than most of the endings we brainstormed already, ESPECIALLY the one with Unicron. I feel kind of soiled just being a part of that.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

My only complaint with my comic shop is inconsistency. I have issue 2 of this, but he forgot to pull issue one and had to order a copy. But, having read issue 2, the thing that doesn't bode well so far is that I missed an entire issue and... I don't feel like I missed anything. Seriously, I have no questions about what happened in issue 1 which makes me wonder if it was even worth reading.

As for the story itself, it's different from the Terminator movies in that Skynet was never fighting against humanity, they just happened to lose with Skynet being all that remained of their legacy. Which begs the question of why the T-800 went back to find Sarah Connor. Originally it was to stop the leader of the human resistance from being born. That unto itself isn't a particularly great strategy, the resistance would probably just have someone else to take his place. But, without that strategy, then it begs the question as to why Sarah is there at all. I could see Skynet teaming up with the Autobots to create an army specifically designed to fight the Decepticons, but it would also beg the question as to why Skynet didn't just do that originally. Then there's the possibility that Skynet could use Cybertronian technology to build better Terminators to fight everyone, humans included. And that brings up one of the main problems with Transformers: The Cybertronians don't maximize the use of their technology. Skywarp can teleport but others can't. Mirage can turn invisible but others can't. Hound can project holograms... you see where I'm going with this. If they were smart enough to develop the technology for one of them, why aren't all Transformers capable of teleporting while turning invisible and projecting realistic looking holograms? I imagine that Skynet would make effective use of all of those technologies and would give them a ridiculous edge against... everybody. Also, the T-800s aren't known for being overly talkative. That's the one thing that stood out to me. He says WAY too much in this issue, including issuing threats and "trash talking" or quiping while going about his terminating. That was one of the things that made the T-800 so scary in the first movie is that it was literally this killing machine that just killed and didn't bother talking about it beforehand.

I dunno, there's enough going on here that I'm interested to see where they go with this, but those were some of my problems with I guess both franchises. I think maybe it would have made more sense if Skynet had taken over Teletran-1 and had the full use of the Ark's sensors and the Autobots abilities to fight the Decepticons, but you can't have a comic with Transformers in them without the Autobots because Autobots gotta Autobot yo.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

You didn't miss anything. I've read both issues and I feel like pretty much nothing happened.

The T-800 doesn't go back to find Sarah Connor, it goes back to terminate the Transformers before the volcano wakes them up, and Sarah Connor just happens to be there. Yeah. Really.

I agree with you about the T-800. Reese's whole thing from the first movie was that it "Can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with, it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear..." This T-800 had emotions. It was giddy. Maybe that's because it's from a different reality where Skynet didn't turn against humanity? I don't know, and my hopes aren't high for any kind of explanation.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I doubt we'll get an explanation as to why Sarah Connor is there either. Ugh. There are so many good ideas that could be explored here and it's all just "Hey, this looks cool, so do it, it doesn't need to make sense". Just like the Bayformers movies.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

I just read this story, and I like to think this is how Skynet started: https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/All_Too_Human
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:14 am I just read this story, and I like to think this is how Skynet started: https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/All_Too_Human
Is that what the author intended or does it just coincidentally make sense? Cause, yeah, I could see that as well.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:14 pmIs that what the author intended or does it just coincidentally make sense? Cause, yeah, I could see that as well.
I don't know. Since they don't name Skynet or Cyberdyne or anything from the Terminator universe, I'm inclined to say it's a coincidence, but who knows?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:06 am
Shockwave wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:14 pmIs that what the author intended or does it just coincidentally make sense? Cause, yeah, I could see that as well.
I don't know. Since they don't name Skynet or Cyberdyne or anything from the Terminator universe, I'm inclined to say it's a coincidence, but who knows?
Ah, I just thought I'd ask if you had any more insight to it. When I read it, I read it assuming it was Skynet. The description of a metal body certainly fits.

On a side note, I want to ask a hypothetical question (or, perhaps more accurately, a theoretical one): There is a scientific theory (and some scientific evidence to support it) that reality as we know it is a simulation. A video game basically. So here's the question: If this really is just a video game, then who's God? Most cultures have defined God as the creator of everything, but video games aren't just made by one person. So is God the graphics team? The Sound designers? The rendering artists? The programmers? Or would it be some pantheon, like a god of sound, a god of the sun (which I guess would be the lighting team)?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:43 amOn a side note, I want to ask a hypothetical question (or, perhaps more accurately, a theoretical one): There is a scientific theory (and some scientific evidence to support it) that reality as we know it is a simulation. A video game basically. So here's the question: If this really is just a video game, then who's God? Most cultures have defined God as the creator of everything, but video games aren't just made by one person. So is God the graphics team? The Sound designers? The rendering artists? The programmers? Or would it be some pantheon, like a god of sound, a god of the sun (which I guess would be the lighting team)?
I think it really depends on the level of omnipotence of the god in your scenario. A totally omnipotent god would be able to be the entire game developer in itself, but the less omnipotent, and omniscient, the god is, the more gods they would need to help them. The more gods there are in a pantheon, the more they tend to need each other.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If a moderator could move this thread to the miscellaneous forum, that would probably be for the best.