War for Cybertron: Earthrise line

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron: Earthrise line

Post by Dominic »

Not sure what it implies about me....but the latest issue of "Galaxies" makes me want Cliffjumper.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Starscream

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:Last year's Starscream was one of the worst renditions of the character that I can recall being released.
Is that the Tetrajet? I bought that when it came out and was not a fan. So much so that I immediately resold it. I got another one recently and I have to admit that I have a newfound appreciation for it. To the point that I actually went and got Thundercracker as well. I also just got the Earthrise Starscream and I like it. There are things I like better about the tetrajet and there are things that I like better about Earthrise. The new one looks better in both modes, but I do like that added waist articulation from the tetrajet, which also looks pretty decent in bot mode.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That mold is terrible. I can see the joke they were going for (making it look like the old cartoon) with the "Seige" . But, it is impossible to do well, and should not have been a $30 figure.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I've been getting a bunch more Siege figures lately, and my few Earthrise figures contrast poorly with that. Siege has a better level of design, finer sculpting, better gimmicks, and better materials. The Seeker conehead molds are disappointing, Hoist is pretty mediocre, Cliffjumper isn't a good value, Wheeljack could use more paint, and the Astro Squad doesn't wow me thanks to fit & finish issues.

I feel like I'm gonna end up skipping most of ER, I've got Prowl & Ironhide on the way, Black Roritchi, the Centurion Drone, Soundwave and Bumblebee if WM doesn't cancel my preorders. I am most tempted by Thrust who isn't even announced, Sky Lynx, and Snapdragon, with Runabout being an undecided runner-up.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Am I correct in assuming that the coneheads still have the separate nosecone from the Starscream mold, so that their head shape is basically meaningless?
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:42 pm I've been getting a bunch more Siege figures lately, and my few Earthrise figures contrast poorly with that. Siege has a better level of design, finer sculpting, better gimmicks, and better materials. The Seeker conehead molds are disappointing, Hoist is pretty mediocre, Cliffjumper isn't a good value, Wheeljack could use more paint, and the Astro Squad doesn't wow me thanks to fit & finish issues.

I feel like I'm gonna end up skipping most of ER, I've got Prowl & Ironhide on the way, Black Roritchi, the Centurion Drone, Soundwave and Bumblebee if WM doesn't cancel my preorders. I am most tempted by Thrust who isn't even announced, Sky Lynx, and Snapdragon, with Runabout being an undecided runner-up.
Definitely get Sky Lynx, you absolutely will not be disappointed. That said, I wasn't particularly disappointed with the other ER figures I got. Hoist was... fine I guess. I mean, there wasn't anything egregious about it, Wheeljack needed better engineering in the windows but was otherwise fine. Yeah, Cliffjumper really should have either been bigger or cheaper. Been looking for astro squad but haven't found them yet.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

There is no need for Cliffjumper to be larger.

Price point is only partly determined by size. It is also a question of complexity. Cliffjumper has at least as many moving parts as any other figure at that price point.

I would pay for something the quality of Cliffjumper before buying a cheaper figure with less engineering.

The Micromaster shuttle team is licensed by NASA, with no price bump. I can forgive the pieces not quite fitting together. (If nothing else, today's $10 toy is a $5 toy from the Beast era.)

"Seige" is definitely better over-all though.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

I'm of the same mind as Dom on Cliffjumper. He's little, but he's so complicated.

That aside, I'm actually loving Earthrise more than Siege. I think Siege had some amazing figs: Soundwave, Shockwave, I've heard Jetfire is great, but I don't have him, but I am gobbling up Earthrise like it's my last meal. They're like all the toys the way I wanted them to be 30+ years ago.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:27 am Am I correct in assuming that the coneheads still have the separate nosecone from the Starscream mold, so that their head shape is basically meaningless?
You would be correct, they have tiny cones UNDER the main cone as part of their very simplistic heads.

Dominic wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:09 am There is no need for Cliffjumper to be larger.

Price point is only partly determined by size. It is also a question of complexity. Cliffjumper has at least as many moving parts as any other figure at that price point.

I would pay for something the quality of Cliffjumper before buying a cheaper figure with less engineering.
Cliffjumper doesn't need to be larger, but his transformation and accessories needed to better justify his high, high price tag. They are fun but not quite getting it there. The fact that his Glass Gas Blaster comes with Centurion Drone instead of him is unacceptable. He weighs so little, nobody wanted him to partsform with his backpack/shield so that was a wasted effort and they could have just as easily made that part fold up to the back via a waist plate rotating around the back. They took the easier route, we have enough partsformers in general with the Weaponizers and their ER counterparts as it is.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

JediTricks wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:38 amThey took the easier route, we have enough partsformers in general with the Weaponizers and their ER counterparts as it is.
That's a good point that I did not think of.