Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote:Love the passive aggressive insults you two are throwing around in this thread. :roll:
I don't think either of us intended to be insulting towards you (I didn't at least). I think we know you well enough that we know you're not a Geewunner, but you've been a part of the fandom and reading the comics long enough that you know that they've been vocal to the point where comic artists have been willing to pander to them by sprinkling crowd scenes with known characters and sometimes seldom used characters. This is the first time that I can recall that they haven't, and I am ok with that. Again, sorry if I came across as insulting, genuinely not my intent.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If they were part of Megatron's "base", then they wouldn't be disrupting his rallies to get out his message, let alone targeting Megatron personally. Again, you're ignoring what Megatron said. He makes it clear he has condemned the violence, but it doesn't do any good because, while the Rise has stolen some Ascenticon ideas, they are not the same.
In politics, the most disruptive elements are often from people who share ideals or otherwise agree with mainstream groups.

I know plenty of people who want Anti-Fa and the Alt-Right to go away, despite nominally being on the same side of the aisle. People on the far side of the spectrum often hate centrists that are closer to them as much as they hate the cross-aisle competitors.

In this case, the Rise would see Megatron as too mild for their tastes.

The thing about any movement having multiple types of people with varying degrees of volatility makes sense... on Earth. But they've established Cybertron in this setting to nearly be free from violence altogether.
"Transformers" is soft sci-fi, the alien space robots are generally going to work like people. And, we know that the Cybertronian peace is more fragile than the characters assume, because we read comics.

Speaking of comics, AllSpark has a preview of next week's issue.

https://www.allspark.com/2019/05/transf ... e-preview/

Megatron's speech is interesting. He draws a direct connection between peace on Cybertron, and stifling regulation. Apparently, the peace and security Cybertron has enjoyed is at cost in tyranny. Some of been exiled, and food (energon) is regulated to the point where producing one's own is considered suspect. Megatron's use of chain imagery evokes both connection and constriction. (If that is not a Cybertronian robo-dog whistle, I am a rust-bottomed petro-rabbit.)

And, Prowl is going to get coercive with somebody.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:In politics, the most disruptive elements are often from people who share ideals or otherwise agree with mainstream groups.

I know plenty of people who want Anti-Fa and the Alt-Right to go away, despite nominally being on the same side of the aisle. People on the far side of the spectrum often hate centrists that are closer to them as much as they hate the cross-aisle competitors.

In this case, the Rise would see Megatron as too mild for their tastes.
Sharing some ideals doesn't make them part of the same group though, or a part of Megatron's "base" as you keep putting it. Clearly they are opposed to Megatron, given they keep attacking his rallies, and even Megatron personally in the last one, despite that they might agree with him on some certain points.
"Transformers" is soft sci-fi, the alien space robots are generally going to work like people. And, we know that the Cybertronian peace is more fragile than the characters assume, because we read comics.
Soft sci-fi or not, they've already established in this story that violence is virtually non-existent on this version of Cybertron, and has been for the majority of the population's life span. It's also been established it is not the Ascenticon way to fight, they only want to talk, and thus, they are not a volatile group of people. It is another group that has been established to be. That is how the story has been presented to us. To a degree, you have to accept things on this Cybertron wouldn't work like they do for us.
Shockwave wrote:I don't think either of us intended to be insulting towards you (I didn't at least). I think we know you well enough that we know you're not a Geewunner, but you've been a part of the fandom and reading the comics long enough that you know that they've been vocal to the point where comic artists have been willing to pander to them by sprinkling crowd scenes with known characters and sometimes seldom used characters. This is the first time that I can recall that they haven't, and I am ok with that. Again, sorry if I came across as insulting, genuinely not my intent.
Well you were directing that comment to something I'd said, so it kinda came off that way. But anyway, I don't think it's pandering to throw in some small cameos to a crowd. Usually that's at the artists discretion. There's only one instance I can think of where an artist put a certain character into a crowd scene at the request of some fans, and it was met with some backlash. Again, I'm not saying they needed to put any recognizable characters in, I just think they did it intentionally.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Clearly they are opposed to Megatron, given they keep attacking his rallies, and even Megatron personally in the last one, despite that they might agree with him on some certain points.
There is a difference between attacking an event and disrupting it through rowdy (but ostensibly supportive) behavior.
Soft sci-fi or not, they've already established in this story that violence is virtually non-existent on this version of Cybertron, and has been for the majority of the population's life span.
And, the implication (more clear with every issue) is that the peace is enforced with restrictive social and regulatory controls. (Food is not just rationed, people who produce their own food are suspect for not being part of the system, even if they are not actually taking from it.)
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I haven't read the issue yet, but it seems to me that they're attempting to "justify" Megatron's eventual rebellion by giving him a seemingly legitimate reason to rebel. I don't much care for that idea any more than I cared for making the Autobots a fascist society for Megatron to fight against in the previous continuity. Sometimes dictators arise just because they want power, and I'd prefer Megatron in that type of role. But we'll see how the story plays out, I guess.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:There is a difference between attacking an event and disrupting it through rowdy (but ostensibly supportive) behavior.
I dunno about you, but blowing up the stage and then shooting at the guy giving the speech I wouldn't call a rowdy (but supportive) disruption. That's a pretty clear attack.
And, the implication (more clear with every issue) is that the peace is enforced with restrictive social and regulatory controls. (Food is not just rationed, people who produce their own food are suspect for not being part of the system, even if they are not actually taking from it.)
And....? It isn't shown to be illegal for someone to live outside the system, and produce their own energon. We saw this with Cyclonus, who for the most part seems to be left alone, living on his own outside the city.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I dunno about you, but blowing up the stage and then shooting at the guy giving the speech I wouldn't call a rowdy (but supportive) disruption. That's a pretty clear attack.
It was not shown to be the Rise. It easily could be. (I have personally witnessed examples that may have been false flag vandalism on campaigns. (This is not the same level of attempted assassinations. But, principle is similar.)

(I am expecting a twist on this point either way.)

And....? It isn't shown to be illegal for someone to live outside the system, and produce their own energon.
But, it is enough to earn scrutiny. Essentially, somebody who maintains a backyard garden (or collects rain water for personal use) is suspicious enough to warrant attention from police. This is similar to how donating to certain groups, or visiting the wrong website (such as the TOR Project) can be enough to be flagged by authorities.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:It was not shown to be the Rise. It easily could be. (I have personally witnessed examples that may have been false flag vandalism on campaigns. (This is not the same level of attempted assassinations. But, principle is similar.)

(I am expecting a twist on this point either way.)
True enough. But it was still an attack against Megatron. And considering the suspicions are that it was carried by the Rise regardless of if it was actually them or not gives it the same implications.
But, it is enough to earn scrutiny. Essentially, somebody who maintains a backyard garden (or collects rain water for personal use) is suspicious enough to warrant attention from police. This is similar to how donating to certain groups, or visiting the wrong website (such as the TOR Project) can be enough to be flagged by authorities.
Again, and...? That still doesn't mean those people are doing anything illegal.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

No, they are not doing anything illegal. But, that just makes the state scrutiny more unreasonable.

Consider the real life example of the TOR Project. By many reasonable accounts, merely searching for TOR (a browser that is set up to support anonymity on-line) using Google or some other search engine is considered suspicious. (The hosts of the TOR relevant sites are monitored.)

Seeking to learn about, or acquire, a privacy tool is perfectly legal. But, it is also considered suspicious.

Similarly, being too closely associated (even casually) with the wrong people can put somebody on law-enforcement radar, even if their interactions are innocuous. (This changed a bit post-Snowden. But, the changes are a question of scale.)
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote:He draws a direct connection between peace on Cybertron, and stifling regulation. Apparently, the peace and security Cybertron has enjoyed is at cost in tyranny. Some of been exiled, and food (energon) is regulated to the point where producing one's own is considered suspect.
Something we already kind of knew from the first issue just from the conversation between Rubble and Bumblebee, but not the extent. Growing your own food warranting condemnation is definitely extreme. At the same time, I'm really wondering if there's a reason that that might be necessary; like maybe Cybertron's energon supply regenerates at a certain rate, and creating more food than is allocated to you will inevitably cause the planet to run out. On a side note, I wonder what happens to these Cybertronians if they "starve to death?" Do they just shut down forever? Do their sparks leave and go back to wherever the Hell they came from to begin with? I WANT TO KNOW ALL THE THINGS.

Also, I think Rubble is going to die. I think he is going to attend an Ascenticon rally and die accidentally at Autobot hands. I think the Autobots (most likely Prowl and/or Chromia) will be callously indifferent to his death, and that apathy towards the death of a non-Autobot (not to mention one of his own potential followers) is what will push Megatron over the edge. I mean, his name is Rubble for Primus' sake. I can't believe I didn't see that before.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou