Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Sparky Prime »

It's interesting to me to find out Soundwave is a senator as well. We've seen him as Megatron's side a few times, but he hadn't really done anything until now, which gave me the impression he was Megatron's aid. I'm thinking
Spoiler
Bumblebee's attempts to join the Ascenticons might actually be because Orion wants him to spy on them. Given how important Bumblebee says mentoring is, I can't really see him ditching those responsibilities just for his own interests.
I like that we get to see a little more alien life on Cybertron in this issue. Even find out there's an entire sanctuary for a race that lost their home planet when it was destroyed by another race. You know they'll be wiped out when the war starts.

Little disappointed
Spoiler
Rubble was killed.
I mean, I expected it was coming, but I thought he'd last a little longer.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote:It's interesting to me to find out Soundwave is a senator as well. We've seen him as Megatron's side a few times, but he hadn't really done anything until now, which gave me the impression he was Megatron's aid. I'm thinking
Spoiler
Bumblebee's attempts to join the Ascenticons might actually be because Orion wants him to spy on them. Given how important Bumblebee says mentoring is, I can't really see him ditching those responsibilities just for his own interests.
How interesting. I didn't even consider that. I just took Bumblebee at face value.
Sparky Prime wrote:I like that we get to see a little more alien life on Cybertron in this issue. Even find out there's an entire sanctuary for a race that lost their home planet when it was destroyed by another race. You know they'll be wiped out when the war starts.
It makes the planet seem more like a real planet, and less like just a staging area for the beginning of the war. I'm hoping at least some of them survive, but I regrettably think you're right about the the A'Ovans getting wiped out. Taking the time to mention how they're the only ones left kind of makes them the gun on the mantelpiece.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The worst thing about those aliens getting wiped out is going to be the fact it is so predictable. (I think we all see it coming. And, that is a problem.) On the other hand
Spoiler
Rubble's death was predictable and worked thematically. So, maybe those aliens getting wiped out will be fine.
Spoiler
The dialogue indicates that Bumblebee has had previous contact with them, and that he counts some of them as friends. I am not sure that Bumblebee was motivated by espionage so much as trying to put a fire out. (In real terms, he called it an early day with Rubble, only skipping out on one activity which they could have done at any time.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:The dialogue indicates that Bumblebee has had previous contact with them, and that he counts some of them as friends.
Of course Bumblebee has had previous contact with the Ascenticons. From the sounds of things, joining them is a bit of a process that Bumblebee is working through, having yet to earn their trust, but at least having gotten to the guy in charge of recruitment. And actually, the dialogue is Soundwave pointing out Bumblebee has Autobots friends and contacts, to which Bumblebee says he doesn't make friends based on how they vote. He's pretty sure some of his friends are Ascenticons, but he doesn't actually know, it has never mattered to him.
I am not sure that Bumblebee was motivated by espionage so much as trying to put a fire out. (In real terms, he called it an early day with Rubble, only skipping out on one activity which they could have done at any time.)
There's clearly more going on here than we have been shown. And, in real terms, Rubble is still too young to be trusted to walk home on his own. The scene even highlights Rubble still hasn't gotten the hang of using the communicator built into his own arm before they ask him if he's sure he can make it back to his quarters on his own. Both Bumblebee and Wheeljack show concern over if he can make it on his own. And then look what happens. Despite assuring them he knows the way, Rubble gets distracted and ends up in a bad situation.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Is Rubble actually dead though? Last we see is his thoughts on death as it fades to black, but I'll point out that Thundercracker wasn't dead either and we actually saw him get shot at point blank range. I think it will be a massive cop out if he isn't, buuuuuut COMIX!!!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:Is Rubble actually dead though? Last we see is his thoughts on death as it fades to black, but I'll point out that Thundercracker wasn't dead either and we actually saw him get shot at point blank range. I think it will be a massive cop out if he isn't, buuuuuut COMIX!!!
Yeah, I have to admit, I think it's possible he's still alive given the circumstances we're shown.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Is Rubble actually dead though? Last we see is his thoughts on death as it fades to black, but I'll point out that Thundercracker wasn't dead either and we actually saw him get shot at point blank range. I think it will be a massive cop out if he isn't, buuuuuut COMIX!!!
Yeah, I have to admit, I think it's possible he's still alive given the circumstances we're shown.
I need him to be dead. I'm not happy about how it happened, but undoing it would be far worse in my opinion. The only thing that I would be okay with is if Prowl or Chromia or some other law enforcement got there in time to beat/chase off Quake and rush Rubble to the hospital (the mechanic? However they do it there), and then use that attack as a justification for severe monitoring and restricting of Ascenticon actions. Megatron still needs that push toward complete megalomania.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

From the sounds of things, joining them is a bit of a process that Bumblebee is working through, having yet to earn their trust, but at least having gotten to the guy in charge of recruitment.
It is interesting that Bumblebee, who is shown to be apolitical, is looking to join a faction. (And, this effectively defines the Ascenticons as centrists.) Regardless of Bumblebee's motives, this is the most interesting the character has been in 35 years.

The only thing that I would be okay with is if Prowl or Chromia or some other law enforcement got there in time to beat/chase off Quake and rush Rubble to the hospital (the mechanic?
It is probably better if Rubble stays dead. But, the main point of the character is to represent lost innocence. So, having him come back, possibly as a more blood-hungry character, might work.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote: But, the main point of the character is to represent lost innocence.
Agreed, I almost posted that exact same thing.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote:It is probably better if Rubble stays dead. But, the main point of the character is to represent lost innocence. So, having him come back, possibly as a more blood-hungry character, might work.
Like Perceptor from AHM? I could dig that.