Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Ursus mellifera »

It seems clear to me that
Spoiler
Quake killed Rubble because he witnessed Quake killing the Voin

Dominic wrote:The fact that Ruckley made Bumblebee interesting is enough to maintain his credibility.
Not for me.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

More precisely,
Spoiler
Quake killed Rubble because Rubble stumbled across the aftermath of Quake killing the hive-monkey-brain. (Note that the Voin Rubble saw was not connected to the hive-brain. Presumably, the brain part had already been destroyed.
\\

But, yes, Rubble was a witness.
Spoiler
No reason to think that Quake new about Rubble near Brainstorm's body though. Quake essentially killed some random passerby who stumbled across a crime scene.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Okay, so my comic book shop did not get me a copy of issue 4. I did get issue 5 today.
Spoiler
- There are lots of clues about the situation on Cybertron, at least filtered through Megatron's point of view. Too many restrictions is the best way to sum it up. Restrictions on population, contact with other races, and fuel.
- He's perfectly willing, even as a public figure, to be the face of the opposition to the status quo.
- Despite the "don't antagonize aliens" rule, there are plenty of aliens on Cybertron. So is Megatron telling the truth?
- I did not expect Rubble to get killed. That surprised me. He should have followed Prowl's advice and left the police work to the professionals.
- Similarly, Bumblebee meeting with Soundwave surprised me. Maybe if I'd read issue 4 both of these events would have been
telegraphed. I don't know.

I still wonder just how much of what Megatron claims is actually true. How much discontent exists because he's busy fomenting it?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote:More precisely,
Spoiler
Quake killed Rubble because Rubble stumbled across the aftermath of Quake killing the hive-monkey-brain. (Note that the Voin Rubble saw was not connected to the hive-brain. Presumably, the brain part had already been destroyed.
Spoiler
Quake is holding the deceased brain thing in his hand
Dominic wrote:
Spoiler
Quake essentially killed some random passerby who stumbled across a crime scene.
That's why it's kind of dumb to me. I find it very generic.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Not sure how it is "generic".
Spoiler
Rubble blundered in to a killing, and was killed for it. Having him targeted by a conspiracy would be more generic
Spoiler
Despite the "don't antagonize aliens" rule, there are plenty of aliens on Cybertron. So is Megatron telling the truth?
Maybe the rule is meant partly to protect aliens on Cybertron?

Spoiler
He should have followed Prowl's advice and left the police work to the professionals.
If anything happens to me, I want Anderson to break the news to my friends and family.
Spoiler
"He really kind of screwed up and got himself killed. He probably should have take the short way home, rather than trying to help out. His fault really."
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'd be more tactful about real people, I'm sure. :D
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote:Not sure how it is "generic".
Spoiler
Rubble blundered in to a killing, and was killed for it. Having him targeted by a conspiracy would be more generic
They're both generic, and in this particular case I think it's dumb because
Spoiler
Rubble was killed off like the victim that gets found by hikers in the first 2 minutes of a "Law and Order" episode; except for some reason Dick Wolf decided to spend four episodes on him before leaving him stabbed and pants-less in an alley downtown.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have seen that misreading elsewhere as well.

Ruckley's run is not
Spoiler
a "killer of the week" police procedural".
It is more
Spoiler
about a loss of innocence, or the loss of the illusion of innocence.
Rubble was the naive point of view character being introduced to a world that was impressive and alleged to be safe. From the minute he showed up at the beginning of issue 1, we had narrowed his fate down to two possibilities, either of which would have been thematically consistent.
Spoiler
Either Rubble would have been killed by political violence, or he would have made a choice (possibly out of legitimate cynicism) to join the Decepticons.
And, it was the former.
Spoiler
Quake was (probably) killing a witness to an earlier crime. And, then he killed a witness to that crime. As far as Quake is concerned, Rubble was just somebody unlucky enough to stumble across a fresh murder scene, that was part of a larger plot. Rubble was actively, if foolishly, following the witness that Quake had killed.

The plot-victim in a weekly procedural is usually somebody who blundered in to something they had nothing to do with. Rubble was actively involving himself in something he did not properly understand. Similarly, Rubble was never targeted, because nobody knew he existed. He was essentially a bystander. Rubble found Brainstorm's body, and was not smart/savvy enough to get away from the problem. He was simply too close to it.

Rather than a "victim of the week", Rubble was a participant in a fight he did not fully understand. Look at the zero issue of Gillen's "Uber".

There are several characters that are set up as likely protagonists on two different (if reprehensible) sides. All of them are actively involved (as Rubble was), but none have any idea what is coming. Only one of them survives. Rubble is more analogous to the Soviet infantrymen or the German deserters.
That is a fitting end to a naive protagonist in the opening of a series about
Spoiler
the illusion of stability or innocence being removed.

I am interested in seeing what Megatron knew and when he knew it.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote:That is a fitting end to a naive protagonist in the opening of a series about
Spoiler
the illusion of stability or innocence being removed.
I understand that, and it makes me cautious of the next arc, because I don't like the decision, and in making it the options for the plot's direction are cut in half. I could like the decision in the future depending on the events it creates.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am assuming
Spoiler
that Rubble's death will be what pushes centrist Bumblebee firmly in to the Autobot camp (rather than being an apolitical mentor).
Even if Bumblebee does not know that Quake committed the murder, Bumblebee could take a harder "law and order" stance.