Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Dominic »

Soundwave murdering his own troops for "knowing too much" is one of those points there is no coming back from, even if Megatron (who presumably gave the order) is clearly conflicted about it.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'm still curious about what Megatron's goals are. I don't think a dictatorship with him calling the shots is exactly what he's after at this point. It seems very much as if he's attempting to force change to the existing system using manufactured civil unrest, and that events are spiraling out of his control. So he may indeed have some regrets about the deaths his followers have caused so far, even though he's clearly willing to watch other killed as part of the process he's implemented.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I just got issue 15 today. I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Why the long delay since issue 14?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:Why the long delay since issue 14?
Good question... This issue was originally supposed to be out at the end of November. Never saw a reason for why it was delayed over a month.

We get a bit of backstory for Megatron. Turns out, like in previous continuities, he was a miner, that became a gladiator. But rather than him starting the war due to inequalities, it was the Threefold Spark War instead. After which, the Autobots decided to scale things back to an extreme wishing to avoid such a war ever again, leading to Megatron's current growing conflict. Still don't know how exactly he rose up from a miner/gladiator to a senator, but I'm glad we at least get a sense of him going from nobody to a somebody. We (sorta) finally get to see Exarchon. One iteration of him at least, I guess. As Threefold Spark would imply, he's basically one consciousness in three different bodies. Also interesting to note, Skywarp was a soldier on Exarchon's side, who lead a force of clone troopers. So Megatron goes and beats up Shockwave for escalating the situation when it had been Megatron's intention to create a crisis only as a last resort. Bumblebee informs Orion Pax about what he knows about Soundwave from the previous issue, and Orion decides they need to inform Sentinel. Although it would seem Sentinel's plan of action is not what Orion had in mind.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:Why the long delay since issue 14?
Good question... This issue was originally supposed to be out at the end of November. Never saw a reason for why it was delayed over a month.

We get a bit of backstory for Megatron. Turns out, like in previous continuities, he was a miner, that became a gladiator. But rather than him starting the war due to inequalities, it was the Threefold Spark War instead. After which, the Autobots decided to scale things back to an extreme wishing to avoid such a war ever again, leading to Megatron's current growing conflict. Still don't know how exactly he rose up from a miner/gladiator to a senator, but I'm glad we at least get a sense of him going from nobody to a somebody. We (sorta) finally get to see Exarchon. One iteration of him at least, I guess. As Threefold Spark would imply, he's basically one consciousness in three different bodies. Also interesting to note, Skywarp was a soldier on Exarchon's side, who lead a force of clone troopers. So Megatron goes and beats up Shockwave for escalating the situation when it had been Megatron's intention to create a crisis only as a last resort. Bumblebee informs Orion Pax about what he knows about Soundwave from the previous issue, and Orion decides they need to inform Sentinel. Although it would seem Sentinel's plan of action is not what Orion had in mind.
I'm glad they kept the broad strokes of Megatron's previous origin, because I think it's a good background for explaining how he became who he is, and there was no need to change it for the sake of change. The new incidents play a part in the history of Cybertron in this current continuity and make good sense. The beatdown of Shockwave to establish who is in charge was well done, and I loved Megatron's instructions to the other two "Stay right where you are" so they saw it all and got the message too. Great issue.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It seems very much as if he's attempting to force change to the existing system using manufactured civil unrest, and that events are spiraling out of his control. So he may indeed have some regrets about the deaths his followers have caused so far, even though he's clearly willing to watch other killed as part of the process he's implemented.
He made a comment about being damned for doing what had to be done (shortly after Soundwave killed several low-ranking Decepticons). And, the recent issue supports the idea that events are spiraling out of his control.

Why the long delay since issue 14?
I suspect that it was the way the calendar broke. Thanksgiving is the first of the intrusive holidays, and was relatively late this year. That likely disrupted shipping and other ops.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:He made a comment about being damned for doing what had to be done (shortly after Soundwave killed several low-ranking Decepticons). And, the recent issue supports the idea that events are spiraling out of his control.
Megatron never said they were damned for what had to be done, he said they were damned for what they have done, and may yet have to do. This issue makes it clear, Megatron is still trying to salvage the situation to save it from a crisis. This is why he confronts Shockwave. Megatron blames him for "not managing things carefully", causing these problems, that Megatron believes could have been avoided entirely. He even points out, despite the idea of creating a crisis as a contingency plan, this was only supposed to happen with his approval - which he obviously never gave. So then, after giving Shockwave a savage beat down to assert his position in the hierarchy, what does Megatron say? "Very good. Crisis averted." From what Megatron is saying in this issue, if Shockwave had followed Megatron's instructions and "managed things carefully" none of this would have happened.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Does anybody know when/if the compilation of the first 12 issues is coming out? It has been re-solicited once or twice, and was supposed to ship this week.

The local store has no record of it shipping, let alone selling through.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:Does anybody know when/if the compilation of the first 12 issues is coming out? It has been re-solicited once or twice, and was supposed to ship this week.

The local store has no record of it shipping, let alone selling through.
Amazon has it listed as available January 21, so it should be out. Next time I'm in the bookstore or comic book shop I'll see if they have it in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Vol ... 8&qid=&sr=
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Thanks. No place around here seems to have a copy, or even recognize it as having shipped.