Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Dominic »

I have not liked TF this much in ~5 years, if not more.

I think that the problem with the post-Costa run is that IDW pushed the recently split series too far in opposite directions. "More than Meets the Eye" was too much Tumblr-fluff. Too much feelings and shipping, no real ideas of importance. "Robot in Disguise" degenerated in to a generic comic, truncating the sort of idea-based and linear story-telling used to characterize TF.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:"More than Meets the Eye" was too much Tumblr-fluff. Too much feelings and shipping, no real ideas of importance.
I'd very much have to disagree with that. I mean, it was heavy on the "Tumblr-fluff" as you call it, but Roberts used it to disguise a lot of the ideas in the long game he wrote for the series, until the payoff when everything finally came together. Often times, something didn't seem important, until Roberts put all the pieces together, and he also introduced a lot of new and interesting ideas for the Tranformers mythos in the book as well.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Finally got around to reading #11

I'm really glad to see how angry Megatron is about Rubble having been killed by the Rise when he confronts Soundwave about how the situation was handled. Really goes to show Megatron is sincere that he wants changes for the benefit of the people, and he genuinely isn't happy about the violence the Rise have escalated to. What do you know, I was completely right that it was Orion that asked Bumblebee to infiltrate the Ascenticons. Nice to see Megatron finally creates the (future) Decepticon symbol as the new symbol of the Ascenticons, while Megatron calls for action rather than the crawl they've progressing at. I really like the touch of background characters in this scene as well. Particularly Strika, since, as a Beast Machines character originally, I wouldn't really have expected her to appear in this setting, even as just a background character.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I missed Strika's appearance. Nice. She doesn't look exactly like the Beast Machines version, but I have to say, I would enjoy it if Obsidian and Strika were integrated into this book since both were supposed to be very successful generals from Cybertron's past. It would be nice to see some of that play out on the page.

Looking at the crowd, I also see Ratbat, probably Acid Storm (the green guy that looks like Starscream, Thundercracker, etc), and some orange and gray robot I don't recognize. TFwiki says it's Jhiaxus, based off one of the repaints rather than the G2 comic version. That almost looks like Grimlock's face in the background.

Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The beast-era was long enough ago (over 15 years, even by the most charitable estimates) that it is simply part of TF as a larger property. I am hoping that Ruckley uses Stika and Obsidian to accent the idea that Megatron's have some legitimacy for large segments of Cybertron's population. (I doubt that this will happen.)

Often times, something didn't seem important, until Roberts put all the pieces together, and he also introduced a lot of new and interesting ideas for the Tranformers mythos in the book as well.
I am not talking about lore OCD stuff. I am talking about having actual ideas. (Think "Superman: Red Son", compared to most Silver or Bronze age comics.)

I'm really glad to see how angry Megatron is about Rubble having been killed by the Rise when he confronts Soundwave about how the situation was handled. Really goes to show Megatron is sincere that he wants changes for the benefit of the people, and he genuinely isn't happy about the violence the Rise have escalated to.
I half-called this (and was hoping for it).

This is the second time that IDW has made me give a damn about Megatron. (The only other time has been the old "Generation 2" comics.)
Last edited by Dominic on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:She doesn't look exactly like the Beast Machines version
I was thinking maybe it was based off of her Animated appearance, but after taking another look at that, I think this might be an original design.
Dominic wrote:I am not talking about lore OCD stuff. I am talking about having actual ideas. (Think "Superman: Red Son", compared to most Silver or Bronze age comics.)
I wasn't just talking about "lore OCD stuff", which is why I'd said "and he also introduced a lot of new and interesting ideas for the Tranformers mythos in the book as well", meaning, in addition to what else was in the book, because the actual story itself is important, not just themes that may or may not be a part of it. And again I'll say, there are themes, or "actual ideas" as you put it, in MTMTE. It touches on politics, gender, same sex relationships, religion to name a few. The Guardian even had an interview with Roberts where they discussed some of these themes in MTMTE with him. Maybe it's not as heavy handed with them as something like "Red Son" is, but it still has "important ideas".
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 12

Post by Dominic »

-issue 12:
This issue is set before issue 10 (the arrival of Sentinel and his crew). Plot wise, is ads some details (and questions) to the hive-alien killed by Quake (shortly before he killed Rubble). And, it builds the setting a bit more by showing how Cybertronians interact with other species.

Despite being the 12th issue, it ends with a "to be continued". Assuming that this series is compiled in traditional blocks of 6 (or multiples of 6), that means there will be a compilation ending with a "to be continued". This is not unheard of, and is (unfortunately) becoming more common. With single-issue sales consistently falling, and compilations being relatively strong, this makes sense. (The industry is trying to create an sequential commitment from buyers.) But, I am not sure if readers will play this game.)

This issue nicely encapsulates the general dynamic of the series, albeit with previously un-used characters. As ever, the writing and art do not quite match. (Not sure why the art has been such a challenge for this series.)
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Issue 12 was another good one, and it's to the writer's credit that we can get "filler" issues like this one that are very strong and expand on some side characters and the intergalactic environment. I enjoyed the attempt to show how Transformers and other races think differently about a number of issues, as well as Nautica admiring other races more than her own sometimes. It's nice to see Road Rage get a major role, and Crosscut get a cameo, since I own the Ehobby version of both. I like obscure toy characters getting fleshed out in the comics quite a bit. The actual plot to defuse an alien explosive was nicely portrayed, particularly the "one machine to another" conversation that didn't quite work out.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Just read above-linked article from "the Guardian".

I do not mind politics, particularly of the high-concept variety. But, Roberts pretty much confirmed the accusation that his comics were "pushing an agenda" (progressive politics" in this case) with the last quote.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'm not surprised. It was pretty clear from reading the series that pushing his political views was a priority for Roberts. And despite the article claiming "no pushback", I think the falling sales and the need to reboot the franchise tell a different story.