Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote:I have to disagree. Some iterations have been very clear about where Sparks come from and where they go when they die, a few have even shown us directly.
Okay. You seem more knowledgeable than myself in regards to this.
Sparky Prime wrote:Just because he started a war and apparently has three of something? I don't see that as enough to believe it's supposed to be an analogy for anything, especially when there's nothing suggesting Exarchon was or is any sort of religious icon. The impression I get is that it's meant to be literal, that he simply had three sparks, like Magmatron.
Not just" three of something." Three sparks. Three souls; and mainly it's because epithets like "Threefold Spark" are usually reserved for deities and other superhuman, magical entities. If Exarchon was just a normal dude they would just use his name all the time. Even the most grotesquely horrible people don't get epithets; no matter the amount of atrocities they commit. Megatron is never called "He of the Cannon Arm," or even "Trigger Crotch." You know who does get an epithet, though? Unicron. The "Chaos-Bringer," and he gets one because Unicron is a borderline deity, if not outright divine depending on the particular iteration we're discussing.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote:Not just" three of something." Three sparks. Three souls; and mainly it's because epithets like "Threefold Spark" are usually reserved for deities and other superhuman, magical entities. If Exarchon was just a normal dude they would just use his name all the time. Even the most grotesquely horrible people don't get epithets; no matter the amount of atrocities they commit. Megatron is never called "He of the Cannon Arm," or even "Trigger Crotch." You know who does get an epithet, though? Unicron. The "Chaos-Bringer," and he gets one because Unicron is a borderline deity, if not outright divine depending on the particular iteration we're discussing.
Again, Transformers with multiple sparks isn't unheard of. It's a very rare trait, with only a handful of characters across various continuities to have, but never-the-less, it is not unique to Exarchon. As I've pointed out already Magmatron from Beast Wars Neo had three sparks, and Arcee from the movies (which was done through artificial means according to one of the IDW comics) as another example. Codexa even points that with the vast memory she's got, she doesn't see anything unique about Exarchon, after Orion said that he was. And just because Exarchon has an epithet doesn't make it an analogy for Catholicism either. Jesus Christ may be "The Son", but he is still most commonly referred to by his actual name. And an epithet is hardly reserved for deities, superhumans and magical entities, it's essentially just a byname, or a descriptive term that can be used for essentially any person. Erik Thorvaldsson for example, by all rights was just a normal Norse man, made famous for his exploration and settling of Greenland, given his epithet, Erik the Red, most likely for his red hair and short temper. Epithets also aren't always the most flattering, and certainly are given to grotesquely horrible people as well. I'm pretty sure Exarchon is not supposed to have been a good guy. He apparently was trusted at some point, but he's not portrayed positively here as the guy who started a war. You're right, epithets are not really something we've seen much of in Transformers, but that isn't proof of anything unto itself. Again, there's no religious connotations connected with the character presented in any way in this story. The only thing we can really glean from it is that he was a historical figure, made famous for starting the last Cybertronian war and his "Threefold Spark", which is used particularly in this issue to refer to Exarchon specifically.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Nice to finally get the follow-up of Orion's conversation with Codexa, and getting a bit more perspective on Orion and Megatron's past. Odd that it took them so many issues to go back to it, but given the pacing this series has taken so far, it makes sense. I'm happy to see Megatron and Orion began from humble beginnings, before eventually becoming Senators.
Ruckley probably wanted to use that conversation to frame the flashback, which works better as an epilogue to the first arc.

, which I think strengthens the idea Orion sent Bumblebee to infiltrate the Ascenticons as a spy.
This makes sense, especially with Bumblebee being non-partisan. (Ruckley actually handled this part very well. The non-partisan is an effective spy, but not entirely trusted.)
n this iteration religion is treated in a more realistic way. Some Cybertronians still believe in it more than others, but there are actually different religions, also, and creating a new Cybertronian is a specific ritual; almost like a divine spell, not just a "we built this body, and when it's done it has a spark somehow."
Many of the characters are religious. But, it is not made clear which, if any, faith is correct. That is a good set-up. (Better examples of 40K followed this dynamic.)
And just to point out, we've even seen Atheist Transformers before, notably Jetfire in Dreamwave and the previous IDW continuity.
Where was Jetfire established as atheist in the previous IDW run? (Remember, my skip-rate started going up in 2013.)

*edit: I meant to ask when Jetfire was established as an atheist in the previous IDW run, not Dreamwave.

To be more specific, I think the Threefold Spark/Exarchon is specifically an analogy for Catholicism's Holy Trinity.
I looked over Ruckley's blog yesterday. Not sure that he has anything specific to say about Catholicism. (I may have missed it though.) That being said, his conflicted thoughts about Scotland and the UK are probably reflected in his "Transformers" run.

The "Chaos-Bringer," and he gets one because Unicron is a borderline deity, if not outright divine depending on the particular iteration we're discussing.
Alternatively, Larry DiTillio went on record in '99 to specify that a description of Tarantulas as "Unicron's Spawn" (in a late-run episode of "Beast Wars") was intended to be a basic insult, not indicative of anything else. (This was ignored by drooling idiot fans, and Fun Publications...which is arguably redundant.)

"Three-fold spark" could just be a reference to somebody having a multi-layered or inconsistent, personality.
Last edited by Dominic on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Where was Jetfire established as atheist in the previous Dreamwave run? (Remember, my skip-rate started going up in 2013.)
During the second War Within "The Dark Ages", and the Sunstorm story arc of the short lived ongoing also touched on it.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote:Many of the characters are religious. But, it is not made clear which, if any, faith is correct. That is a good set-up. (Better examples of 40K followed this dynamic.)
I really like this aspect of the series. It makes it seem more realistic to me.
Dominic wrote:"Three-fold spark" could just be a reference to somebody having a multi-layered or inconsistent, personality.
I'm hoping he was/is at least a little nutty.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

My first thought about "three fold spark" was a combiner of some sort. But who knows?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

During the second War Within "The Dark Ages", and the Sunstorm story arc of the short lived ongoing also touched on it.
You answered the question that I asked, not the one I meant.

I meant to ask when Jetfire was established as an atheist in the previous IDW run. (Dreamwave's Sunstorm arc was excellent.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:You answered the question that I asked, not the one I meant.

I meant to ask when Jetfire was established as an atheist in the previous IDW run. (Dreamwave's Sunstorm arc was excellent.)
I wondered why you mentioned you skip-rate starting around 2013, when Dreamwave was well before that.

I don't recall when exactly it was established for the character in IDW, but Furman largely portrayed him the same way as he wrote the character in Dreamwave starting with Stormbringer.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Ah, so he was never specifically stated to be an atheist in old-IDW.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Ah, so he was never specifically stated to be an atheist in old-IDW.
Technically, he was never specifically stated to be an atheist in DW. I don't know if they ever specifically said he was an atheist for IDW, as there were some stories I haven't read either. But Jetfire's position in DW about everything having a rationalized scientific explanation and dismissal of supernatural explanations still made it clear what his views are. That was carried over in his portrayal in IDW.