Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Just read above-linked article from "the Guardian".

I do not mind politics, particularly of the high-concept variety. But, Roberts pretty much confirmed the accusation that his comics were "pushing an agenda" (progressive politics" in this case) with the last quote.
"Accusation"? He's not on trial here. And the last quote in that article is “I do, but anything that sparks a bigger conversation about progressive politics is good.” No where does he say he's "pushing an agenda" as you're claiming, just that he'd like for the themes in the book to 'spark a bigger conversation' about progressive politics. This is exactly the sort of thing you said was missing from the book (even though it was a part of it from the beginning), and now you're distorting what Roberts said and making it out to be a bad thing?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

He specifically said that he wants to "spark a bigger conversation about progressive politics".
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:He specifically said that he wants to "spark a bigger conversation about progressive politics".
And? Once again, saying "anything that sparks a bigger conversation about progressive politics is good" is not the same thing as pushing an agenda. He's literally only saying anything that gets people talking about it is a good thing. How do you get "pushing an agenda" out of that? I'd also point out he says in that interview, when talking about Chromedome and Rewind, "You could have read it as them being best friends. Had there been any pushback, that’s how it would have stayed." He even mentions writing a letter to Hasbro, to make sure it was ok for him to write them in a relationship, to which he got no opposition from them. Despite that it "felt like a big deal" to him, do you really think someone trying to "push an agenda", as you claim, would be so willing to back off of it that easily?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That is exactly the same thing as pushing an agenda. He wants a discussion of progressive politics.

(I am a lefty. But, I do not need everything to be specifically political, and I do not want polemicomics.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:That is exactly the same thing as pushing an agenda. He wants a discussion of progressive politics.

(I am a lefty. But, I do not need everything to be specifically political, and I do not want polemicomics.)
You keep saying it is pushing an agenda, but how? You're failing to explain anything to actually back up that claim. Wanting a discussion is not pushing an agenda in-and-of-itself. Pushing an agenda means he'd be trying to direct that discussion -- *pushing* it the direction he wants it to go. However, he is literally only saying that anything getting people talking about it is a good thing -- with out the implications you're giving it. And you've completely ignored the point of why I brought up that article in the first place by deflecting the discussion onto this irrelevant tangent.

You also often seem to relate things to politics on your own accord.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 13

Post by Dominic »

You keep saying it is pushing an agenda, but how? You're failing to explain anything to actually back up that claim. Wanting a discussion is not pushing an agenda in-and-of-itself.
The fact that he wants the discussion at all, and has said he wants to create that discussion, politicizes his writing. Roberts is trying to push the discussion towards a specific subject.

Issue 13:

The problem with most origin or "year one" type stories is that they have pre-set endings, which often tie off predictably.

The end of Ruckley's first arc is not bad. But, it is resolving more or less as expected, with this issue being obligatory set-up for the pre-set ending.

If somebody only buys in for comics for the issues that resolve or change things, this is a good starting point.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: issue 13

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:The fact that he wants the discussion at all, and has said he wants to create that discussion, politicizes his writing. Roberts is trying to push the discussion towards a specific subject.
Again, simply wanting a discussion on a specific subject is not in-and-of-itself pushing an agenda, pushing an agenda means he'd actually be actively directing that discussion in a specific direction. And once again, you're completely ignoring the entire point of why this even came up in the first place.

Great to see Alex Milne doing some of the art for issue #13. It's interesting we may have finally gotten the identity of Brainstorm's killer, as Ratchet believes it may have been Frenzy. Someone we haven't actually seen turn up at all in the story. Also seems a bit odd Ratchet says he has a "memorable morphology. Drills." when I he (and Rumble) are well known for having pile-drivers. In fact, I had to look up if Frenzy even ever has been shown to have drills before... Which he did in the previous IDW continuity, in like only 2 instances. At any rate, I'm hoping they finally start exploring why Brainstorm was killed, considering that's the event that kicked off this storyline and yet it has taken a backseat to everything that has happened since then.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Issue 13 - Nice to see Bumblebee continue to show some chops here as a capable spy. And is that Jhiaxus branding everyone with the Ascenticon emblem? Looks like it could be, based off one of the toy repaints rather than the G2 version. Springer has some nice dialogue and I like the team-up between him and Sideswipe. I hope they avoid retreading the tired old "Wreckers" commando group in this series. And did we just learn who killed Brainstorm, the "scientist-type" that Kaskade refers to? The "immergant Titan" was an interesting setting for the firefight between Sideswipe, Springer and the 'Cons.

I liked everything about this issue. Good action, plenty of characters I enjoy seeing in action, and events continue to escalate.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I hope they avoid retreading the tired old "Wreckers" commando group in this series. And did we just learn who killed Brainstorm, the "scientist-type" that Kaskade refers to?
Not sure if that is definitely Brainstorm's killer. (And, regardless of who actually killed Brainstorm, the real question is who ordered them to do so, likely Shockwave.)

Hasbro has announced an Impactor figure, so it is safe bet that the Wreckers will be showing up in this series.

That probably was Jhiaxus (based on the 2014 figure) in the branding scene.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Issue 14 - Lots of interesting character moments here. Soundwave disposing of "loose ends" is an interesting scene as he ends the standoff at the Titan, and Starscream's question about Bumblebee is surely indicative that he knows something's off about Bee's presence in the Ascenticons. I assume that's Strika and Jhiaxus with Megatron on the final page, though neither has been named yet.