Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Regardless of Bumblebee's motives, this is the most interesting the character has been in 35 years.
Not really saying all that much considering he was absent from the franchise for many years, and then was literally without a voice for several iterations of the character since 2007.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

IDW did some interesting things with him in the previous continuity.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Shockwave wrote:IDW did some interesting things with him in the previous continuity.
I enjoyed his grudging rulership of Cybertron just to prevent it from being Starscream.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 6

Post by Dominic »

Issue 6:

This issue doubles back to Pax's conversation with Codexica, meaning that it takes place either before or during Rubble's "last walk" in the previous issue.

The first page is an shortened variant of the edict that Cybertronians are stuck with. It may not be fair to describe Cybertron as totalitarian. But, it is unambiguously a planned economy and nanny-state. (The difference between that and "totalitarian" is more a question of degree than principle.)

I do not know enough about Ruckley to be sure. But, there seems to be shades of Millar's "Superman: Red Son" with this issue.

Optimus Prime is traditionally associated with protecting and promoting freedom (as "the right of all sentient beings"). During IDW's earlier run with the licence, Optimus stood against a tyrannically planned economy (as shown in the flashback sequences of "More than Meets the Eye").

Now, Ruckley is writing Prime (Pax) as supporting that kind of system, albeit with the best of intentions.

Truth be told, it is hard not to sympathize with Megatron.

The flashback showing Pax and Megatron's conversation reminded me of conversations that I have had with one of my old college friends, both at school and over the years since. And, I am sorry to say I sounded more like Pax in those conversations.

As has been the case since the series started, the worst thing about this issue is the odd art. (It is getting better though.)
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I picked up a copy of issue 4 (which I had missed) and issue 6 yesterday. I need to go back and read through the entire 1-5 arc so far, because issue 4 felt just like the others to me. Same batch of characters, same conversations, not a lot of forward plot movement. Issue 6 gives us a younger, happier Megatron, which is interesting. Still digesting the story, but I think a picture of the kind of friendship that Orion and Megatron shared is certainly appropriate. If they're going to part ways, it's helpful to know where they used to be.

I also note that the Ascenticons are not a recent faction, and Megatron's been aligned with them from the start. So presumably they've changed and he's changed right along with them.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Nice to finally get the follow-up of Orion's conversation with Codexa, and getting a bit more perspective on Orion and Megatron's past. Odd that it took them so many issues to go back to it, but given the pacing this series has taken so far, it makes sense. I'm happy to see Megatron and Orion began from humble beginnings, before eventually becoming Senators.

It's interesting Codexa likens Megatron to Exarchon because they'd both been trusted. Exarchon is the "Threefold Spark" we've heard about that began the previous war on Cybertron, which I really hope they explain what "Threefold Spark" means at some point. I keep thinking of like Magmatron, one guy with three sparks. Anyway, Orion doesn't think Megatron is the same because Exarchon was unique, which Codexa can't see having access to so much more memory, which is very telling. But even so, he doesn't trust Megatron anymore, which I think strengthens the idea Orion sent Bumblebee to infiltrate the Ascenticons as a spy.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote:Exarchon is the "Threefold Spark" we've heard about that began the previous war on Cybertron, which I really hope they explain what "Threefold Spark" means at some point.
This iteration of Transformers is very theological, compared to those previous, with the Reversionists, and the entire forging process where the Cybertronians just make bodies to be inhabited by souls that divinely and mysteriously emerge from the planet. That being said, I'm pretty sure the "Threefold Spark" is going to be the Cybertronian analogy to Catholicism, though I also like the idea of Exarchon being a three member combiner. With a name like Exarchon he could honestly be both.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote:This iteration of Transformers is very theological, compared to those previous, with the Reversionists, and the entire forging process where the Cybertronians just make bodies to be inhabited by souls that divinely and mysteriously emerge from the planet.
I'm not sure what you mean here... Most Transformers iterations have been theological about the concepts surrounding sparks, while bodies are easy for them to mass produce.
That being said, I'm pretty sure the "Threefold Spark" is going to be the Cybertronian analogy to Catholicism, though I also like the idea of Exarchon being a three member combiner. With a name like Exarchon he could honestly be both.
I don't get the impression "Threefold Spark" is an analogy for a belief system... Orion uses the term "The Threefold Spark" interchangeably with Exarchon's name in this issue, suggesting it refers to Exarchon specifically. I get the impression most Cybertronians don't like to refer to him by his real name, almost like how Voldemort is referred to as "He who must not be named" in Harry Potter.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Sparky Prime wrote:I'm not sure what you mean here... Most Transformers iterations have been theological about the concepts surrounding sparks, while bodies are easy for them to mass produce.
In previous iterations sparks and religion were usually treated in a kind of nebulous way. Nobody knew where the sparks came from, or where they went; maybe the Matrix, or Primus, and some Cybertronians believed in those things more than others. In this iteration religion is treated in a more realistic way. Some Cybertronians still believe in it more than others, but there are actually different religions, also, and creating a new Cybertronian is a specific ritual; almost like a divine spell, not just a "we built this body, and when it's done it has a spark somehow."
Sparky Prime wrote:I don't get the impression "Threefold Spark" is an analogy for a belief system... Orion uses the term "The Threefold Spark" interchangeably with Exarchon's name in this issue, suggesting it refers to Exarchon specifically. I get the impression most Cybertronians don't like to refer to him by his real name, almost like how Voldemort is referred to as "He who must not be named" in Harry Potter.
To be more specific, I think the Threefold Spark/Exarchon is specifically an analogy for Catholicism's Holy Trinity. Especially since Exarchon is eluded to have started the war, and early Catholicism started, like, nine wars at least.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote:In previous iterations sparks and religion were usually treated in a kind of nebulous way. Nobody knew where the sparks came from, or where they went; maybe the Matrix, or Primus, and some Cybertronians believed in those things more than others. In this iteration religion is treated in a more realistic way. Some Cybertronians still believe in it more than others, but there are actually different religions, also, and creating a new Cybertronian is a specific ritual; almost like a divine spell, not just a "we built this body, and when it's done it has a spark somehow."
I have to disagree. Some iterations have been very clear about where Sparks come from and where they go when they die, a few have even shown us directly. The previous IDW continuity also presented the creation of new Cybertronians (at least, those that came from hot spots) as having certain rituals, like consecrating the land before any of the Sparks could be harvested. And I'm not so sure there are different religions being portrayed in this comic... There's at least one faction portrayed as being very religious, but most of them are presented as political parties. And just to point out, we've even seen Atheist Transformers before, notably Jetfire in Dreamwave and the previous IDW continuity.
To be more specific, I think the Threefold Spark/Exarchon is specifically an analogy for Catholicism's Holy Trinity. Especially since Exarchon is eluded to have started the war, and early Catholicism started, like, nine wars at least.
Just because he started a war and apparently has three of something? I don't see that as enough to believe it's supposed to be an analogy for anything, especially when there's nothing suggesting Exarchon was or is any sort of religious icon. The impression I get is that it's meant to be literal, that he simply had three sparks, like Magmatron.