War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

Post by Dominic »

Picked up Shockwave over the weekend. (It was a much needed reward after the week I had, and with some other things going on right now.)

If Shockwave is indicative of Hasbro's new standard, then "Siege" (and the next two lines) looks promising. If nothing else, the problem with Shockwave is that the figure raises the question of why Hasbro was not making figures this good to begin with.

Shockwave transforms from the traditional robot to a "space ship". (The "space ship" is clearly an upside-down gun.)

The set includes armor pieces that can be attached to either the robot or "ship" modes. The armored robot looks like some kind of Hindu robo-god of destruction (with the extra arms ending in guns). The upgraded "ship" looks more like an intentional ship mode (evoking a 40K style battleship), but it could also work as an extra shooty gun. Alternatively, the armor can be assembled as a sort of battle platform for the robot.

One real drawback to Shockwave is that the figure is noticeably smaller than figures at the same price point from previous lines. I suspect that this is going to be a pattern, with Hasbro producing better figures at a higher price for their size.

Either way, Shockwave is definitely worth buying.

(Aside: I am more tempted than I should be to customize a Shockwave in to the pre-TF Radioshack colors.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Few new figures have been revealed: Omega Supreme (Titan), Jetfire (Commander), Mirage (Deluxe) and Impactor (Deluxe).

Easily the best looking figures of this line if you ask me, save for Mirage who, like most of the figures in this line, looks too much like his G1 Earth form rather than a Cybertronian form. The others kind of have an advantage here, having never really had an Earth based form in G1.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I have wanted a proper modern remake of Omega Supreme for a long time. I love the original, and this new one looks outstanding. Time to start saving my pennies!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

"Siege" makes me want to like the new comic more than I am expecting to. (I am trying to significantly cut my collection back. So, I am reluctant to buy more figures, particularly of characters that I already have, unless I like the context for that figure.)
e if you ask me, save for Mirage who, like most of the figures in this line, looks too much like his G1 Earth form rather than a Cybertronian form.
I agree about the general complaint. But, with Mirage specifically, I will probably buy the figure out of fondness for the specific character.

Omega Supreme is too large and expensive for me. (This is just as well, given how poorly distributed the large scale figures have been for the last few years.) I wish that Countdown were sold individually.

Jetfire looks good enough that I am probably going to pitch my 2006 Jetfire to make room for this one.

Impactor looks good. But, it would bother me to not have a full team of Wreckers in a single aesthetic.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Omega Supreme is too expensive, but I'm hoping to find him in a discount outlet like I did Fort Max. I paid $40 for Max, and I'd certainly be willing to pay that for Omega Supreme.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:Omega Supreme is too expensive, but I'm hoping to find him in a discount outlet like I did Fort Max. I paid $40 for Max, and I'd certainly be willing to pay that for Omega Supreme.
I'm surprised at how expensive all these figures are. I mean, I know prices have been going up over the years, but $20 for a deluxe figure? That's double what they used to be. Commander is up to $80 now? I thought $45 for a Leader class was a bit much. Titan is $160? Ouch. Sorry, but I just don't feel these toys are worth that much.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm in. I'll probably wind up getting all of the Siege line, save for Soundwave. As for the prices, Deluxes have been going up for a while. We've been paying 16.99 at retail for at least the last ~ ten years or so and $160.00 has also been standard for Titan class figures. It's what I paid for Fort Max, Devastator and Predaking so Omega Supreme is no surprise. I think Commander class is a new class and price point.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:We've been paying 16.99 at retail for at least the last ~ ten years or so and $160.00 has also been standard for Titan class figures. It's what I paid for Fort Max, Devastator and Predaking so Omega Supreme is no surprise. I think Commander class is a new class and price point.
10 years ago, deluxe figures were still $10. I believe the Prime toyline in 2012 was the first to increase their price to $13 and they've slowly been getting price increases every other year or so since then.

I was off about the Titan class, but it wasn't always $160. Metroplex and Typticon were $150. Not a huge difference granted, but still it has had a small price increase...

I thought the Commander class was the new Leader class, since Hasbro seems to like to change the names of the size classes every so often. But yeah, it's actually a new class and price point.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

with "Combiner Wars", I did not bother looking at Deluxes unless I could afford dropping $20 without worrying too much. (The price was ~$15+tax.) At the time, building a complete combination team (6 components) would cost ~$110, unless you bought the components from a specialty.

Boxed sets (combiners or otherwise) generally ran ~$120, with the higher price being a function of shelf space and distribution.

I think that part of the reason Hasbro changes the price-point names is to make it harder to spot price increases.

Last year, a complete team (5 members) cost ~$110. Adding in the Scout and Prime figures bumped the price up by $15 to $20 dollars. (I saw more variation in price, depending on location.) Boxed sets had been discontinued, but probably would have increased similarly.

The current line is slightly more expensive, with Deluxes being $2 or $3 higher. Micro Masters and Target Masters are visibly smaller than last year's Scouts and Primes, despite similar pricing.

Shockwave and Magnus are *much* smaller than Rodimus (the nearest analogue from last year) was, despite a slight price increase.

"Siege" figures look (really) good. But, they are significantly more expensive that previous lines.

I was off about the Titan class, but it wasn't always $160. Metroplex and Typticon were $150. Not a huge difference granted, but still it has had a small price increase...
There is also a shipping (or at least annoyance) cost to consider.

I have never seen the Titan scale figures at Target. With Toys R Us gone, this price-point will be even more poorly distributed, obligating collectors to buy online. And, given the scale of the figure, the shipping cost will be enough to "build in" to the price. (Even "free" shipping is a question of the seller building that cost in to their pricing.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

A couple of prototypes of upcoming figures were shown at Wonder Festival.

Why are we getting so many different versions of Optimus Prime in the Siege toyline? They've got a G1-ish version of Optimus, a Cybertron version of Optimus is coming, and now a Star Convoy version as well as an Armada version? They're great looking figures, but they're over doing it by having them all in this line IMO.