War for Cybertron : Siege

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

War for Cybertron : Siege

Post by Sparky Prime »

The next Generations line has started to berevealed with Optimus Prime, Sideswipe and Firedrive.

Honestly... I'm not a fan of these figures. These are supposed to be Cybertronian alt modes, but I'm just not seeing it. Optimus and Sideswipe look like their G1 Earth forms, with a few extra bits slapped on their vehicle modes. Giving this line the War for Cybertron name, I was expecting something more like the video games, albeit not necessarily those same designs. But at least something different; more alien looking.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron : Siege

Post by Dominic »

They fail as Cybertronian forms. But, they are good as "generalized forms". (I am not planning to get any of them. But, they are not wholly bad.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah, I'm not seeing "Cybertronian" here either, but they're not necessarily bad figures. But, I do have other versions of these characters that I'm currently happy with, so I think this is mostly a skip for me. Unless they do something to give this a unique context.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

With NYCC, several new figures have been revealed: Blowpipe, Aimless, Airstrike Patrol, Soundwave Spy Patrol (Ravage and Laserbeak), Skytread, Refraktor (Reflector), Brunt, Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream, Shockwave, and Red Alert a repaint of Sideswipe shown off to show off a feature of Brunt.

Brunt looks to be an interesting figure. Originally just a tank that came with Trypticon, this version has a robot mode of his own based on the Centurion drones similar to the designs for them in Stormbringer. Parts of him can also be used to augment other figures with more weapons.

Shockwave is a bit similar to Brunt, part of his alt. mode becomes a platform he can fly on in robot mode, or becomes additional weapons that attach to him.

Starscream is a tetrajet, designed after the seekers Cybertronian forms shown in G1, which is really cool. Unfortunately, rather than giving the figure a new robot mode design based on that form, they've stayed faithful to the cartoon by not giving him a unique Cybertronian robot mode design, with the figure using faux parts to replicate his Earth based robot mode design.

Refraktor is kinda cool. They've given them a Cybertronian form and their Earth based camera form.

Overall, I'm still not all that impressed with this line. At least some of them actually have Cybertronian forms, but most still look much more like Earth vehicles, or don't really look like much of anything (what is Soundwave's alt. mode supposed to be?).
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

These are interesting, I am not really cool with the excessive tech detail sculpt aesthetic or the worn paint thing, but there are some ideas that could be cool. It's too bad Starscream's Tetrajet altmode is "a tetrajet with a rectangle of robot underneath" though.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

This line does not look bad over-all. But, aside from a recent spike in interest, I have not been interested in the franchise enough to be too excited about what we have scene so far.

(I am also trying to down-size my collection, which is another powerful incentive to avoid buying more stuff.)

These are the figures I might get, contingent on opportunity and lingering inclination.

Sideswipe/Redalert: I have a soft spot for Red Alert the character. But, I also have a G1 re-issue, along with both the US and Japanese 2010 figures (cast from one of my all time favorite molds). If there is one figure that I will pick up by chance, this is probably it.

Hound: Hound is another character that I have a soft-spot for. Depending on how this one compares to the 2009 figure, I may or may not pick it up.

Shockwave: This is a character that merits a Leader scale figure. And, the pictures look good. But, I am not sure my wallet or interest can carry it. (If I am reading the comics after "Unicron", my odds of buying this go up significantly.)

Ravage and Laserbeak: I might pick them up as custom fodder (to make Howlback and Garboil). But, given my current backlog of customizing projects... Otherwise, these have to be meaningfully better that the G1 re-issues, or evoke a comic I like. (IDW is going to sell these figures to me more than Hasbro will.)

Skytread: It does not look like the individual vehicles have robot modes. (If this compared better to Roadtrap, I would be far more interested.)

Airstrike: I have a soft-spot for these characters. But, I would want the F-14 and A-10 to complete the team.