Transformers: Unicron (discussion and speculation)

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers: Unicron (discussion and speculation)

Post by Dominic »

I get the timing of where/when the issues are set. But, somebody who was only reading "Optimus Prime" would have to either buy in for a cross-over, or just push through.

I think part of it is that BW was so self contained in the first place. Not that there aren't other avenues they could explore, but it's hard to put something in that setting with out stepping on the story of the cartoon, which set the bar so high in the first place.
There was arguably no need for a follow-up. But, fans demanded that somebody pick the scab....

The Dreamwave series may have had potential. (And, it probably would have avoided the time-sync idiocy of "the Gathering".) But, based on what came out, there was no point in reviving/pushing "Beast Wars" after 2001.

I picked up the fourth issue of "Unicron" (along with the 'Trek cross-over) last week....and will probably read it later this week. Issue 5 is in my pull-file.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:There was arguably no need for a follow-up. But, fans demanded that somebody pick the scab....

The Dreamwave series may have had potential. (And, it probably would have avoided the time-sync idiocy of "the Gathering".) But, based on what came out, there was no point in reviving/pushing "Beast Wars" after 2001.
Just because what came out turned out not to be so great does not mean there was no point in reviving Beast Wars. The fans demand for more is part of what creates a need for a follow-up. The subsequent stories not living up to the original is a shortcoming of the authors, not the fiction.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Unicron #5

With Unicron in Earth's solar system, Shockwave knows his plans have been disrupted and that the talisman must now be on Earth and sets about locating it. Meanwhile, the Cybertronians are regrouping, with reports that 85% of the population from Cybertron made it to Earth, with some of the missing reported as hiding. Jetfire holds a briefing to go over what they know about Unicron, explaining that Unicron's first feast must have been the black hole he originally orbited. When the stars go out whenever Unicron teleports, it's actually result of quantum tunnels connected through the black hole, feeding Unicron massive amounts of energy. So while they've focused on trying to protect Cybertron and the colony worlds, the damage Unicron has been doing is far more wide spread by feeding off surrounding stars. Optimus cuts to the chase, explaining that if they have the means to destroy Unicron, he just wants to know where to aim it.

Shockwave has located the talisman and contacts Bludgeon to retrieve it and then use it to destroy Unicron. But Bludgeon (predictably) defies orders, having dedicated himself to Unicron, he plans to retrieve it so that it can't be used to destroy Unicron. Earth and Cybertronian forces team up to fight off the Maximal army, while Metroplex teleports away again. Prowl takes a team to go after Shockwave, while Starscream (with Optimus), Skywarp (with Arcee) and Thundercracker (with the talismen) team up to take on Unicron. Bludgeon orders Monstructor to kill Starscream, but Metroplex and Trypticon are teleported right in front of Bludgeon's ship to take on the Maximal fleet, giving the Seeker team a clear shot at Unicron.

--
Interestingly, Shockwave says that the Nemesis was his Titan. Given his guise as Onyx Prime though, shouldn't his Titan have been Chela? Unless Chela belonged to the real Onyx? But then, the Titans left Cybertron after Shockwave had taken over as Onyx... I dunno. Either way, this finally explains why Nemesis had a transformation cog. Nice to finally have an explanation for why the stars go out when Unicron teleports as well and where he gets all of his power from. Felt like kind of a short issue though, with this mainly setting things up for the finale in the next issue.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I flipped through issue 5.

Based on the back-up, it looks like the Visonaries get a happy ending of sort. There is not rule that says characters need to get an ending they deserve. But, it is surprising that Barber would give the most reprehensible characters in the franchise a break, while punishing the Cybertronians.

Just because what came out turned out not to be so great does not mean there was no point in reviving Beast Wars. The fans demand for more is part of what creates a need for a follow-up. The subsequent stories not living up to the original is a shortcoming of the authors, not the fiction.
There was no need to go back and pick the scab at all. Fans need to learn how to move on.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:There was no need to go back and pick the scab at all. Fans need to learn how to move on.
You're wrong. The problem isn't "fans need to learn how to move on". They just want to see more of one of their favorite aspects of the franchise. I don't think that's unreasonable. Especially when Hasbro seems to be so keen on rehashing G1 over and over and over and over again. And there is still so much potential for stories set during Beast Wars. There are some loose ends from the cartoon they can wrap up, such as the remaining stasis pods, which is what gave The Gathering so much potential. Or how exactly Waspinator made it back to Cybertron. Or even some new story angles set in the 'present day' Cybertron era they could explore. For an example, I've always thought it'd be interesting to see more about the Protoform X project. Or maybe other exploration ships, given we know Botanica had been on a mission similar to the Axalon. Instead, every time they've revisited BW, they've tried to make it into some faux epic involving Unicron that completely ignores what made BW so good in the first place.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

So the final issue of Lost Light came out last week... It takes place several years later, so it kinda of spoils a few elements of Unicron.
Spoiler
Looks like Prowl, Windblade and the Earth will survive Unicron. Prowl informs Rodimus that they need the Lost Light's engines to bring the sparks born on Luna-1 to term and tells him that Megatron must go back on trial following their discovery the Knights of Cybertron no longer exists. Prowl allows Rodimus to take the Lost Light for a 'victory lap', where they decide to re-create the accident that duplicated the Lost Light earlier in the series, only this time, the copy of the ship ends up in another universe to explore. Meanwhile, the crew that remained in this universe settles on the Functionalist Cybertron following the destruction of their own Cybertron in 'Unicron', and go their separate ways. Many years later, much of the crew gather for Ratchet's funeral.
It's not the ending I expected, but it feels like a fitting end for the series.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

You're wrong. The problem isn't "fans need to learn how to move on". They just want to see more of one of their favorite aspects of the franchise.
"Beast Wars" was done. The Beast era had been over for several years. It was past the time to move on. Instead, fans demanded that somebody pick the scab, at IDW produced backwards looking comics that added nothing of value to the franchise.
Instead, every time they've revisited BW, they've tried to make it into some faux epic involving Unicron that completely ignores what made BW so good in the first place.
True. But, how much more needed to be added to "Beast Wars"? There needs to be a better reason to publish the comics than "showing another exploration vessel returning to Cybertron".

So the final issue of Lost Light came out last week... It takes place several years later, so it kinda of spoils a few elements of Unicron.
I have the last issue in hand. But, since "Lost Light" shipped last week (and I would have read it had I found a copy)....I may as well read your summary.

The biggest spoiler is that the end of "Lost Light" takes place a few years later, which rules out any decisive ending to the timeline (which I considered to be a possibility).
Spoiler
I am surprised that they did not reference the end of "Requiem for the Wreckers", showing the altered timeline Springer would have created. (The reasonable conclusion to draw here is that Springer failed.)

It is good that they are putting Megatron on trial again. When they began the redemption arc, there was tacit admission that Megatron was going to catch a break that he did not deserve. (The question was how/if Megatron would use the unearned chance.) I gave Roberts et al credit for the honesty, but did not expect them to follow through after Megatron was sent to an alternate past. (I would be interested to read what Roberts thinks the end of that trial should be.)

$5 says that the Lost Light that is exploring a different universe shows up in the post-reboot series.

Ratchet died?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:"Beast Wars" was done. The Beast era had been over for several years. It was past the time to move on. Instead, fans demanded that somebody pick the scab, at IDW produced backwards looking comics that added nothing of value to the franchise.
G1 was done. Hasn't stopped them from revisiting and reinventing it over and over again in the last 30 years. Beast Wars is still a popular part of the franchise. Arguably just as much as G1 is, and is credited for saving the franchise itself after it faded away in North America. Why shouldn't it get some attention too?

And again, I'd have to disagree with you that the comics added nothing of value. There was potential there. They just need to figure out how not to squander that potential and screw it all up.
Dominic wrote:True. But, how much more needed to be added to "Beast Wars"? There needs to be a better reason to publish the comics than "showing another exploration vessel returning to Cybertron".
I already covered that...
Sparky Prime wrote:There are some loose ends from the cartoon they can wrap up, such as the remaining stasis pods, which is what gave The Gathering so much potential. Or how exactly Waspinator made it back to Cybertron. Or even some new story angles set in the 'present day' Cybertron era they could explore. For an example, I've always thought it'd be interesting to see more about the Protoform X project. Or maybe other exploration ships, given we know Botanica had been on a mission similar to the Axalon.
Dominic wrote:
Spoiler
Ratchet died?
Spoiler
Yeah, from age related burn out.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Spoiler
A Transformer dying of old age (outside of a "distant and unreachable future")? IDW managed to set another precedent.
And again, I'd have to disagree with you that the comics added nothing of value. There was potential there.
Potential and value are not the same thing.

And...thoughts on issue 6.

Nothing of note. The plot follow predictable lines. The ending is very heavy on McGuffins rather than plotting, characterization or concept. And....the art leaves much to be desired.
Spoiler
Unicron being defeated with the power of love (or some bullshit) is not quite the depths that the "Robots in Disguise" cartoon sank to with Fort Max being powered by children's hope. But, it is close.

Starscream's heroic sacrifice was predictable. (I wonder if Barber scaled back the impact of Scott's ending for "Til All Are One" to make Starscream's sacrifice more dramatic.)
Similar to much of Barber's run, this read like a generic comic...which is everything that TF used to not be. Barring a change in creative team or editorial direction, I do not see TF being a regular thing on my pull-file in the future.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:
Spoiler
A Transformer dying of old age (outside of a "distant and unreachable future")? IDW managed to set another precedent.
Well it was something that had been established way back in MTMTE #17, with Ratchet himself saying he had only recently confirmed the first case of it.
Potential and value are not the same thing.
I'm not so sure that's true. For there to be value, there must first be potential for it. And really, I'd say The Gathering had some value with potential for much more, but IDW completely wasted it.

And Beast Wars itself still certainly has potential, if we could just get a writer who knows how to do it justice for a change...
And...thoughts on issue 6.

Nothing of note. The plot follow predictable lines. The ending is very heavy on McGuffins rather than plotting, characterization or concept. And....the art leaves much to be desired.
Yeah, it wasn't the ending I'd hoped for either. I get where Barber was going with it, but honestly I think he could have handled it better. Transformers has become so over-reliant on McGuffins, I was hoping he'd spin it in a different direction. I was also disappointed they used a few different artists for this issue. Milne's art is just so much more dynamic than some of these other artists were.