John Barber is New IDW Editor-in-Chief

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

John Barber is New IDW Editor-in-Chief

Post by andersonh1 »

So does this mean he's off writing duties as well as Roberts?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/30 ... tor-chief/
The game of executive musical chairs continues at IDW Publishing, where former Hasbro Group Editor John Barber has been hired as new Editor-in-Chief (after a two-year stint as a writer). THR first reported the news, which follows the departure of former Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall in March. Additionally, Anita Frazier has joined the company as Vice President of Sales and Marketing. Frazier has previously worked at DC Comics, Sony Pictures, and Vivendi Games.

“To me, the title of editor in chief has a resonance — and a legacy — in comics,” said Barber of his promotion. “It’s something to live up to, a position I find pretty inspiring. So I don’t know if I can really express my excitement at being back at IDW in this new role. As editor in chief, I’m in a position to help guide the company into a new era, working with our creators and our partners to make the best comics out there. IDW has some of the biggest and most fun properties in pop culture under our publishing umbrella, and I think some of the stuff we already have planned for the future will spin some heads. The comics world is constantly changing, and IDW’s always changed with the times — keeping its core values and looking toward tomorrow. And being right in the thick of that is just where I want to be.”
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: John Barber is New IDW Editor-in-Chief

Post by Shockwave »

Between this and the recently announced Unicron ending, I definitely think it means a completely new era of TF comics. I'm excited to see what comes out of this.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:Between this and the recently announced Unicron ending, I definitely think it means a completely new era of TF comics. I'm excited to see what comes out of this.
Me too, looking forward to seeing what they have planned.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

The other thing too is that whether you like the comics or not, you gotta admit, they were definitely willing to shake things up. They wound up making a lot of decisions that seemed to alienate a lot of the fandom, but if nothing else, it means they were willing to take risks. And throughout this run, dead meant dead. Scrapper, Ramjet, Bumblebee, Shockwave, Thrust, all died and stayed dead. That's pretty impressive for any comic.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:The other thing too is that whether you like the comics or not, you gotta admit, they were definitely willing to shake things up. They wound up making a lot of decisions that seemed to alienate a lot of the fandom, but if nothing else, it means they were willing to take risks. And throughout this run, dead meant dead. Scrapper, Ramjet, Bumblebee, Shockwave, Thrust, all died and stayed dead. That's pretty impressive for any comic.
I did enjoy the books quite a bit at one point. Yeah, they eventually killed my enthusiasm with some of their choices, but I'm able to give them credit for being willing to upend the status quo a number of times. Not that I think all of their choices worked (or I'd still be reading!). But yeah, they made some creative decisions in the name of doing new things with the franchise and didn't always play it safe.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:And throughout this run, dead meant dead. Scrapper, Ramjet, Bumblebee, Shockwave, Thrust, all died and stayed dead. That's pretty impressive for any comic.
Um....
Spoiler
Bumblebee and Shockwave are alive.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Shockwave wrote:And throughout this run, dead meant dead. Scrapper, Ramjet, Bumblebee, Shockwave, Thrust, all died and stayed dead. That's pretty impressive for any comic.
Um....
Spoiler
Bumblebee and Shockwave are alive.
Shockwave died at the end of Dark Cybertron and hasn't been seen since (except in flashbacks). Bumblebee... Starscream is the only one who can see him because his "ghost" is acting as Starscream's conscience which I don't really count that as alive. He got killed by Shockwave in Dark Cybertron.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:Shockwave died at the end of Dark Cybertron and hasn't been seen since (except in flashbacks). Bumblebee... Starscream is the only one who can see him because his "ghost" is acting as Starscream's conscience which I don't really count that as alive. He got killed by Shockwave in Dark Cybertron.
I take it you haven't been reading Optimus Prime? Shockwave recently was revealed to have survived the events of Dark Cybertron in issue #17 and #18. And the previews of Unicron #0 shows Bumblebee will be back in the physical realm for that storyline. I believe we'll be seeing how that happens soon...
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Shockwave died at the end of Dark Cybertron and hasn't been seen since (except in flashbacks). Bumblebee... Starscream is the only one who can see him because his "ghost" is acting as Starscream's conscience which I don't really count that as alive. He got killed by Shockwave in Dark Cybertron.
I take it you haven't been reading Optimus Prime? Shockwave recently was revealed to have survived the events of Dark Cybertron in issue #17 and #18. And the previews of Unicron #0 shows Bumblebee will be back in the physical realm for that storyline. I believe we'll be seeing how that happens soon...
I have, but I think 16 was the last issues so that would explain why I haven't seen that yet. Maybe they just wanted to bring them back for the finale.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

With a reboot more or less happening, IDW might have simply raised BB from the dead by editorial fiat. (In 6 months, it will not matter.)