Comics, Unicron, and the End of a Universe?!

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Comics, Unicron, and the End of a Universe?!

Post by andersonh1 »

Looks like IDW have finally decided to do their own take on Unicron.

https://freecomicbookday.com/Article/20 ... a-Universe
They call him “the world-killer,” and he’s positioned squarely at the center of the biggest story in the history of Transformers. Unicron’s arrival means only one thing: the end of a universe.

On his path to Cybertron and Earth, Unicron has decided that Rom’s homeworld must be met with destruction. The Transformers band together in a desperate attempt to save Rom’s world, yet not everyone will survive this encounter.

The biggest story arc in the history of Transformers is a massive story in the making, bringing together everyone writing Transformers comics right now, in order to create a cohesive and suspenseful narrative. This is a can’t miss comic story as our heroes are up against their biggest threat yet, and a happily-ever-after ending is not a guarantee.

Read our interview below with two of creators behind this epic tale, John Barber and Alex Milne. John and Alex gave us the inside scoop on what to expect in the pages of this Free Comic Book Day exclusive, as well as what they love about comics and what they’re looking forward to on Free Comic Book Day! Then, click here to see our PREVIEWS Prevue of the comic!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Comics, Unicron, and the End of a Universe?!

Post by Sparky Prime »

IGN has our first look at IDW's Unicron in robot mode, drawn by Alex Milne. I'm not sure if this is just a promotional image, or what, but Unicron is depicted as being much larger than the Earth here, with him holding it the planet in the palm of his hand. I'm thinking that's Junkion he's holding in his other hand.

It's an interesting design, but I feel all the spikes around the maw on his chest is a bit much and the head I think should be a bit more like G1...
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

And it has been confirmed... The IDW Transformers universe is coming to an end in September, and will be rebooted according to writer James Roberts via his Twitter.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote:And it has been confirmed... The IDW Transformers universe is coming to an end in September, and will be rebooted according to writer James Roberts via his Twitter.
Considering that I haven't enjoyed IDW's Transformers comics for some time now, I can't say I'm unhappy with the news. I'd like to try the new direction, but if they have the same people writing the new books, I"m not interested. I guess it remains to be seen what the plans are.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wondercon-18- ... cs-at-idw/
“TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON is a culmination of the years of TRANSFORMERS comics I’ve been a part of… and the conclusion of one of the longest continued narrative in TRANSFORMERS history” said Barber. “This is a story of heroism in the face of impossible odds; of a reckoning for an entire universe. I couldn’t be luckier than to have Alex [Milne] right here with me on this—if you know Alex, you know nobody puts more into the TRANSFORMERS than he does, and nowhere before has he drawn drama, action, and pathos at this scale. Tying it all together is the incredible palette of Sebastian Cheng. We’ve never held back before on our TRANSFORMERS comics, but this time we’re pushing ourselves—and each other—harder than ever.”

TRANSFORMERS mainstays from the past 12 years will be providing variant covers for the series, including Andrew Griffith, Nick Roche, and many more. Additionally, legendary comic artist Bill Sienkiewicz will be reinterpreting his classic cover to TRANSFORMERS #1 as a special variant, along with a new cover by Francesco Francavilla.

“TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON is a grand finale to the past 12 years of TRANSFORMERS comics at IDW and to really celebrate that and to celebrate the people who have made it such an amazing ride, we’re getting some amazing, beloved artists to contribute to what I’m sure will be our biggest—literally—TRANSFORMERS story ever,” said David Mariotte, Associate Editor. “This is an event years in the making and one that only works because of the years fans and creators have invested in the comic.”

The action kicks off on Free Comic Book Day, May 5th, with the #0 issue by the series creative; available for free at comic shops across the country. Don’t miss the world-ending first chapter of the summer’s cataclysmic event!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Aw man, really? Starting it on FCBD means there's less chance of getting a copy! What's the point of hooking newcomers into a book that's ending in 6 months?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:Aw man, really? Starting it on FCBD means there's less chance of getting a copy! What's the point of hooking newcomers into a book that's ending in 6 months?
I assume they're hoping any new readers will stick around for the reboot. I'm not sure if I'll follow the Unicron storyline (probably not, given my apathy for the current books) but I'm planning to try out the new direction and see if I like it or not.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The free comic book day issue isn't bad, though if you have no idea who Rom is (and I really don't) you might be a bit lost as he meets others like himself and watches Unicron destroy his homeworld, while the Autobots try to evacuate as much of the population as they can.
Spoiler
Wheeljack dies
, but this close to the end of the continuity, it probably doesn't matter.
Spoiler
Bumblebee
is alive again. This book isn't as much of a jumping on point as it probably should be. It does feel like the reader is being dropped into the middle of ongoing storylines we're unfamiliar with and meeting characters we don't know, in addition to Transformers.

It's not a bad issue, but I'm not sure it's aimed at the casual reader. Even as a lapsed IDW reader, I was a bit lost once the issue strayed from the Transformers cast. The art looks like Alex Milne (forgot to check the credits) and is fine. Plotwise, this version of Unicron apparently grows every time he consumes a planet, can teleport around the galaxy, and is focused on the various Cybertronian colonies... which, for some reason, includes Earth. Not sure if I want to check out the actual series, or just wait for the reboot.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I agree with the idea that "Transformers: Unicron" was a bad choice for FCBD. Making established readers compete with new readers is always a bad idea. And, drawing in new readers with the start of an event meant to reboot everything does not make much sense. (The info-dump pages in the end show that IDW may even know this.)

Had IDW launched this 6 months ago, they could have used the reboot for Free Comic Book Day, and as a way to lure in new readers. Planning to add this to my pull-file. If nothing else, I am curious about how IDW handles the cliche of a reboot event.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:It's not a bad issue, but I'm not sure it's aimed at the casual reader. Even as a lapsed IDW reader, I was a bit lost once the issue strayed from the Transformers cast.
I think even fans who have kept up with the series might find themselves a little lost here, given there is a bit of a jump in time between this book and where the other books are at. Although that's probably more the result of delays than something they'd intended. But yeah, I think they could have done a better job of making this a little more accessible to the casual reader, especially as a FCBD title.
and is focused on the various Cybertronian colonies... which, for some reason, includes Earth
Earth sort of is and isn't a Cybertronian colony. It was revealed that all of the planets Shockwave had seeded his Regenesis Ore's on had been the intended destinations of the 13 Prime's Titans to form Cybertronian colonies. However, many of those Titans crashed or died before they reached their destinations, and thus failed to form a colony. At any rate, seeing as how Earth has Ore-13 on it, it had been one of the worlds intended to become a Cybertronian colony.