Power of the Primes

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Power of the Primes

Post by Sparky Prime »

Hascon is this week and Hasbro has revealed a lot of new figures for the upcoming line...

Evolution Optimus Prime - Orion Pax combines with his trailer to become Optimus.
Volcanicus - Grimlock (Voyager), Swoop, Slug, Snarl, Sludge (deluxes) and newcomer Slash (Legends) combiner
Micronus and "Decoy Armor" Cloudbust
Official images, Display Case, More Display Case, Panel

Back around when SDCC took place, Hasbro also showed off several other upcoming figures...
Evolution Rodimus Prime - Hot Rod combines with his trailer to become Rodimus
Liege Maximo and "Decoy Armor" Skullgrin
Beachcomber
Dreadwind
Jazz
Starscream
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Power of the Primes

Post by Shockwave »

I'm of mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm all in for updated versions of all 5 Dinobots. HOWEVER, I've never been a big fan of the "Dinobot combiner" concept. I always thought they were tough enough on their own that they didn't need to combine. So... yeah, I think I'm all in for these guys, but their combined form is never going to grace my shelf.

Unless it turns out to be something pretty awesome looking, but the fact that none of the pics show it doesn't have me optimistic for that. Also, as for Rodimus, I think I'll stick with Henkei Hot Rod and just get a Fansproject set.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:I'm of mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm all in for updated versions of all 5 Dinobots. HOWEVER, I've never been a big fan of the "Dinobot combiner" concept. I always thought they were tough enough on their own that they didn't need to combine. So... yeah, I think I'm all in for these guys, but their combined form is never going to grace my shelf.
Yeah, I'm glad to see they're finally making updates of all 5 Dinobots and not just Grimlock again, but I see no need for them to combine. That's something I felt always made the Dinobots more unique among so many of the special teams, they didn't combine and didn't need to because they were already so powerful. And I really think Hasbro could have done better designing Volcanicus. A lot of the 3rd party Dinobot combiners look so much better.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

During the awards dinner panel, a few more new figures were shown off which are still in the grey model phase..

Moonracer
Ripsnapper
Hun-Gurrr
Evolution Optimus Primal - Despite the concept art they show, looks like Optimus Primal's season 1 body doesn't transform into a gorilla. Instead he becomes like a flying... sled thing, which can be used as a surf board for his Optimal Optimus body.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Sorry I haven't been around much, it's been nuts lately. Anyway, this line seems like it's tailor-made for me to not want. I'm lightly amused by the dinobot combiner, but going back to another line of the combiner deluxes is depressing, those were designs that were never fully "there" for me and this revisit doesn't seem to have addressed that at all.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote:During the awards dinner panel, a few more new figures were shown off which are still in the grey model phase..

Moonracer
Ripsnapper
Hun-Gurrr
Evolution Optimus Primal - Despite the concept art they show, looks like Optimus Primal's season 1 body doesn't transform into a gorilla. Instead he becomes like a flying... sled thing, which can be used as a surf board for his Optimal Optimus body.
I'm interested in Terrorcons. I always was fond of the originals.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Toy Fair is this weekend and with that comes lots of pictures...

Official Power of the Primes photos from TFW2005:
Prime Masters
Quintus Prime with Bludgeon
Megatronus with Bomb Burst
Solus Prime with Octopunch
Legends Class
Battleslash
Roadtrap
Tailgate
Deluxe Class
Moonracer
Novastar
Voyager class
Elita-1
Leader class
Optimus Primal/Optimal Optimus
Titan class
Predaking

Primal looks cool, but he looks unfinished with the grey cockpit and canons on his Optimal body chest. I guess they're going for a grey-back gorilla motif since that becomes a backpack for the figure in his season 1 body. But I wish they'd just painted it to be consistent with his Optimal body since the backpack looks terrible either way...
Predaking looks amazing. I saw it mentioned somewhere each of the Predacons will be Voyager sized.

More images from TFW2005:
Showroom display. Predaking. More of Predaking.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Went to Toys R Us yesterday (yes, we still have them here lol) and actually found new stuff! :o
Power of the Primes Leader Class Rodimus Prime: Been fiddling with this since last night. I think I like the "Hot Rod" robot mode better than the combined trailer/car mode. It looks more like the G1 character and even works well and looks good next to Henkei Hot Rod. He has decent articulation and I don't really have any complaints about the figure other than the obvious leg shoulders. I would say if you don't already have a Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime then this would be a good one to pick up, especially if either can't find or can't afford the MP one.

Prime Masters Liege Maximo, Vector Prime and Micronus: I was going to skip the Prime masters because I was so done with the Titan Masters after wave two. They just felt like I was paying for accessories without an actual figure. These on the other hand do not. Hasbro Frankensteined the targetmaster and Pretender gimmicks into one toy, giving them a lot of play value even if they don't have much in the way of articulation. And the fact that the smaller robots actually can integrate with a larger robot mode makes it feel like you're actually getting a character rather than just glorified accessories.

Battleslash and Roadtrap: Yeah, I'm putting these two together, both literally and figuratively. These two are an interesting update and reinterpretation of the original duocon concept. Each vehicle is a separate character so you can actually have half of Battletrap and still feel like you have a complete figure. And the combined mode works pretty good too, with decent size and articulation. I really hope they do Flywheels next, I'd love to see an update of that.

Tailgate: He's a repaint of Windcharger. The latest Windcharger is pretty cool, but it still has some problems. The transformation is more complicated than it needs to be, but the resulting robot mode is pretty good with decent detail and articulation. Lather, rinse and repeat for Tailgate. Definitely worth getting if you don't have the previous ones. And if you have the previous ones, sell them and get these.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:Went to Toys R Us yesterday (yes, we still have them here lol)
Three of the stores in my city are closing, which I believe will only leave one. Kinda sad to see on the way to work every day, I drive by one of them, which has a sign that says "Store Closing Sale".
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I picked up the Dinobots...and I like them.

This is the first time that all of the original 5 Dinobots have been released in the same scale and aesthetic since the mid-80s. The combined form is just....extra. (I have not even bothered to combine them yet.) Slash is a good edition to the team. (Hard to believe that 'raptors used to be a secondary species that nobody cared about.) Hasbro did a good job of making Slash look right with the team. (Looking at Slash, I can almost imagine what an early 80s figure would have looked like.)

And, I added a retro-style custom Strafe (Bayformer) using a Twinferno figure w/ Quake's head.