Power of the Primes

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Power of the Primes

Post by Sparky Prime »

Punch/Counterpunch with Prime Master Prima has been revealed.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Power of the Primes

Post by Dominic »

Very nice.

Not sure that I like it enough to give Amazon money. But, that is a damned pretty toy.

Speaking of toys, I had a good week this week. HoneyBear found Submarauder for me. And, I blundered across Outback and Cindersaur at Target yesterday. (The local Targets seem to re-stock on either Mondays or Tuesdays.)

Submarauder (w/ Alchemist):
This is the first TF that I have bought entirely for customizing purposes in....at least 5 years. There is nothing inherently wrong with the figure. But, I have no real attachment to either Submarauder or Alchemist. Nothing really distinguishes the shell from others. The front piece is well molded and painted well enough for a toy of this scale and cost. (The molding on the larger back piece is less detailed.) The weapon piece is a trident. Alchemist Prime's sigil looks like a bastardized atom symbol. (I am half-tempted to make this in to a TF scaled Captain Atom figure.)

Grade: B Not spectacular, but worth getting for any number of reasons. For those wondering, I am planning to recolour the shell in to Killer Carp (from "Battle Beasts") and to recolor Achemist as a Diaclone pilot (to go with the custom Dialcon dinos I am making).

Outback:
The inevitable retool of last year's Brawn figure. Like the other figures at this scale (including the recent, if scarce, Tailgate) Outback is a pretty faithful update of the 1986 figure. Definitely worth getting if somebody has an idiosyncratic fondness for the character (as I do) or wants another jeep in the vein of the Brawn mold. This figure does not include the gun that set the original Outback aside from Brawn. But, it would probably be possible to attach the gun from a 1986 Outback. (Alternatively, the modern Slag gun would also work pretty well.)

My Outback came with a Megtronus card, meaning that he is reacts very poorly to authority, utterly destroying those who would impose "rules" on him. Seriously. Do not mess with Outback. Holy.....

Grade: B

Cindersaur:
Retool of Slash (a new character) in to an old (and obscure) character. I like the mold and have some vague plans to customize this. Slash is easily the better figure, and still available. But, for people who only want old characters or Decepticons, Cindersaur is is obviously the better choice.

The trading card gimmick fails pretty badly with Cindersaur. Some of the cards describe Cindersaur as male, others as female. Similarly, some of the cards describe him/her as a Dinobot (rather than a Decepticon). Obviously, the confusion is the result of poor editing of Slash's card variants. But, some fans are no doubt going to latch on to the idea of a gender-bender TF. At most I will put Cindersaur in the same category as "Unicron Trilogy" Sureshock, a character that has been listed as both male or female, depending on which source one quotes from. (My copy included the Alpha Trion card, which describes a female character.)

Grade: C Far inferior to Slash, but not terrible.