Revolution

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Revolution

Post by Dominic »

The event starts next month. But, current IDW comics have previous.

It looks like IDW is keeping "All Hail Megatron", and using that as a sort of "day one". But, going by the preview that I read (in "Street Fighter v/s GI Joe" #6), Optimus Prime stopped Megatron, rather than Spike. This may be a mistake. Or, it may be a back-write. Costa's run is either being glossed over or specifically ignored. I dunno. (I still have my compilations. And, it mostly ran its course. So, whatever IDW does about this is fine.)

IDW's Joe stuff is problematic. The assumption seems to be that it started after "All Hail Megatron". This sort of fits, as IDW Joe did not launch until '08 (more or less concurrent with AHM). But, the world of IDW Joe is not that of TF, and definitely did not reflect the events of AHM. The only things that definitively are carrying over are the "Cobra Civil War" and what I assume are events from the Karen Traviss run.

The tone and content of early Joe does not fit with TF. And, I have a hard time believing that Snake Eyes is not going to show up, which means that "Agent of Cobra" is either going to be undone, or over-written entirely. (This annoys me because that series was good and warranted follow-up.)
andersonh1

Re: Revolution

Post by andersonh1 »

When does this crossover start? I saw one or two "Road to Revolution" issues, but not the main series. I might take a look and see what they do with Transformers once it begins.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

"Revolution" runs through September. I think that the TF series are keeping the same creative teams.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I picked up the Revolution free preview today. The art is fairly good, while the story itself is all exposition between various characters summing up the history of the IDW Transformers line to this point, as well as adding MASK and GI Joe into the mix, along with (I think) Action Man and ROM. The plot appears to be that the Ore 13 on Earth is becoming unstable, and they think it's all going to explode soon, wiping out all life on the planet. Miles Mayhem shows up on the last page, and I think he was the primary MASK villain. He's got someone who appears to be Blitzwing in pieces, begging for death.

It's worth what you pay for it. Story summary and character intro is about all you get, but it sets up Revolution well enough I suppose. The mention of Ore 13 makes me miss the early days of IDW Transformers, which I enjoyed so much more than their current output. I don't care enough about GI Joe or MASK to be excited by either, and I have no attachment to ROM or Action Man either. I may or may not try Revolution when it's published. But I would recommend this preview for anyone curious about that series.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I started reading "Revolution" this week, though I am a bit behind.

First up:

"Not a reboot" my ass. "Transformers" is definitely coming through this the way "Green Lantern" and "Batman" got through "Flashpoint", albeit with less time compression. I managed to read through the prologue (rather than just flipping through it, and some other content.

-Furman's run sort of happened? Ore-13 is on the table. And, the Grimlock/Dinobot stuff seems to have happened in some way.

-The end of "All Hail Megatron" has been changed to remove Spike's involvement. (As described in the prelude, Optimus defeated Megatron by beating him senseless. Spike did not play a role.)

-The state of Costa's run is unclear. The more IDW wants to sanitize Spike, the less of Costa is going to carry over. (Using time references is less helpful, after IDW introduced the floating timeline post-"Dark Cybertron".)

-Everything from the brand-split forward seems to carry over.

-"GI Joe" is getting significant changes. It looks like nothing pre-Traviss run is being counted. This rules out most of anything from before 2014.

-Dialogue places all IDW-Joe after the Transformers leave Earth (concurrent with "Chaos Theory" and the brand-split). The "montage" visuals are not entirely clear. They may imply Costa's run and "Cobra Civil War", or not.

-There is a shot of red ninjas and buzz-boar vehicles, which may or may not reference the Traviss run. There is also a reference to a destructive event (involving a large explosion), which may also be from the Traviss run.

-I doubt that Snake Eyes joining Cobra will stick, even if is not simply ignored.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Wow, they're really trying to cram everyone into having all been in the same universe all along aren't they? That's stupid. It would have been WAY easier to just cram everything together and say "everything has been merged from this point" meaning that everyone can still remember their previous continuities because they weren't merged then. Ugh.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Having characters remember wiped out timelines would make things more complicated. At the very least, why would nobody be driven made by what had happened, but not happened?

I am fine with IDW discarding whatever they discard to make things fit. (I just hope with get good comics out of it later.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:Having characters remember wiped out timelines would make things more complicated. At the very least, why would nobody be driven made by what had happened, but not happened?

I am fine with IDW discarding whatever they discard to make things fit. (I just hope with get good comics out of it later.)
I disagree, it would have made things way easier because 1: Writers can still reference previous events without having to worry if it "counts" or not and B: Characters each remember their own timelines because it all still happened. Cobra Commander isn't going to remember All Hail Megatron because that didn't happen for him, but Megatron will because it did happen for him. Characters would still only be remembering one single timeline of events for themselves. It really would not have been any worse than any standard episode of Dr Who. Or insert time travel sci fi episode/show here.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The point of this is to combine and simplify things in a way that casual readers will buy in for. "Doctor Who" is not the business model they should be trying for.

Assuming that some things do not count, especially if counting them adds baggage, is the easiest way to go. But, it requires writers and fans to move the hell on.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Just read "Transformers" (Robots out of Disguise) #57.

There are a few things that feel like ad-hoc changes in direction, likely to sync up with "Revolution". Spike seems to be doing an abrupt face-turn. There is nothing wrong with characters changing over time. But, having Spike get visibly squeamish about another soldier indulging in the sort of antics that Spike and Greesbologno (or whatever the other guy's name was) were known for doing is a little too hard of a push.

(My guess is that somebody at IDW or Hasbro wants Spike to be more like the Spike that old fans would remember.)

(For those who are behind, read the "Revolution" prelude after issue 57. Despite shipping several weeks ago, it is set after issue 57.)

Somebody at another forum told me that the red ninjas and buzz-boars shown in the prelude were a reference to a later run of IDW's "GI Joe" series. In other words, they were not back-written.