Revolution

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Revolution

Post by Dominic »

Got to issue 3 last night.

Snake Eyes is back with the Joes, as if he never left.

And, I noticed something that is either a mistake, or a jab Marvel.

The second issue has several source-book style character entries, including one for Rom and one for Colton.

Rom's first appearance is listed as the "1979 toyline". Colton's first appearance is listed as being during the original Marvel run of "GI Joe". Why did IDW count Rom's toy appearance (rather than the significant Marvel run the character had in his own titles) while counting Colton's first appearance in a comic? Part of me is wondering if IDW is deliberately trying to down-play the original Rom comic.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Issue 4:

I normally do not go out of my way for variants. But, in this case, I made a specific trip to Newbury to get the "action figure" variant. (The fact that it uses two figures that actually exist, more or less in scale, is kind of cool.)

Plot-wise, the story changes direction fairly abruptly. The tenuous alliances and open conflict of previous issues have been more or less resolved, with most of the heroes on the same page. The logic of the Joe team using 80s-vintage hardware is explained as well as one could expect it to.

Grade: C
-starting to make decisions about which series I might follow once this sorts out.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Issue 5 shipped yesterday. Holding off on picking it up until payday (owing to money being what it is).
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I read issue 5 last night (this morning), after putting together a Lego toilet.

All things considered, "Revolution" is pretty forgettable. (I actually had to double check issue 4 to make sure that I had read it.) Issue 5 is best summed up as "everybody teams up to stop Karza and the Wraiths". Not much else to say about it. "Revolution" did not have any high-concept beyond "get the Hasbro licenses to sync up". There were no particularly insightful, articulate or memorable moments. Even "Infestation" had a few bright spots.

"Revolution" is to Hasbro's licenses what "Countdown" was to DC in the 90s. It was a perfunctory event that moved pieces around, in order to set them up for the next "move". But, "Zero Hour" was wrapped up inside of 6 weeks, counting follow-up issues. "Revolution" took 4 months.

With most events, the important question is what the company plans to do next. I will give "MASK" and "GI Joe" a chance. But, Barber's writing is too generic for me to bother with "Transformers" or the team-up series.
Rench
Protoform

Post by Rench »

Dominice wrote:I read issue 5 last night (this morning), after putting together a Lego toilet.

All things considered, "Revolution" is pretty forgettable. (I actually had to double check issue 4 to make sure that I had read it.) Issue 5 is best summed up as "everybody teams up to stop Karza and the Wraiths". Not much else to say about it. "Revolution" did not have any high-concept beyond "get the Hasbro licenses to sync up". There were no particularly insightful, articulate or memorable moments. Even "Infestation" had a few bright spots.

"Revolution" is to Hasbro's licenses what "Countdown" was to DC in the 90s. It was a perfunctory event that moved pieces around, in order to set them up for the next "move". But, "Zero Hour" was wrapped up inside of 6 weeks, counting follow-up issues. "Revolution" took 4 months.

With most events, the important question is what the company plans to do next. I will give "MASK" and "GI Joe" a chance. But, Barber's writing is too generic for me to bother with "Transformers" or the team-up series.
Thanks Dominic, I'm starting issue 1 right now.
Last edited by Rench on Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Rench wrote:Thanks Dominic, I'm starting issue 1 right now.
New guy! Welcome! Let us know your thoughts on Revolution (and anything else for that matter).