figure modification

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

figure modification

Post by Dominic »

I am reposting this from the "November Hauls" thread. Given how many of use like to modify figures, it makes sense to be discussing it. If anybody has conversions for another line, post it in the appropriate forum, and let one of the moderators know about it. We will then pin the topic.

The idea here is to post information about modifying figures for just about any reason. This includes making "new" toys of official characters or fan characters. Some people may just want modify a toy to make it more accurate to its context model, or to add play-value, (Cinema Scene Barricade comes to mind here). Additionally, if there is a consistent QC or design problem with a toy, and somebody has a way to fix it, this type of thread is also the place to do it.

Here is my contribution:

Tiger-track (yellow Sideswipe)
Spinout (red Sunstreaker)

These are pretty easy conversions. The end goal is the wind up with a yellow "Universe" Sideswipe and a red "Universe" Sunstreaker. The names are based on Takara toys and information in old Hasbro documents.

If you have either one, you can get a pretty good "preview" of the converted figure. Invert the "official" configuation of the waist and arms, either figure. Swap the hands, (and if you are really picky, the shoulders), them spn the head 180 degrees.

If you just want to drop the hammer and do both, start with standard copies of both, convert them to robot form.

First, reverse the hands, (and shoulders), so that the left of each becomes right and the right becomes left. Note: Be very careful to leave the arms themselves on their original side for *official* configuration. The allignment of the door panels is needs to stay the same relative to the body, regardless of configuration. (Remember, the vehicle modes will not change at all, the these panels have to conform to that.)

After modifying the arms as described above, remove the heads. Note: It is not necessary, and probably a bad idea, to open the heads with a screw driver. Besides the (very real) danger of stripping the screws, Sunstreaker's head has springs that will pop out and are just about imossible to get back into working position. (You can still move the "ear-bits" manually, and this is actually preferable if you are making Punch/Counterpunch.) It is possible to simply pop the heads off of the ball-joints, and swap them that way. Sideswipe's is a bit more difficult to do this with, but hardly impossible. (Be sure to hold the robot chests in place while re-attaching the heads, to keep the ball joint from sinking into the body.)

Faction decals are a nice, but optional step. (I have yet to do this one mine.) Both will have faction sigils on their backs, but those will be obscured if one attaches the engines/backpacks.

A bit of black paint applied to the upper panels of Tiger-Track's (yellow Sidesipe's) chest can add color and make the toy look more "factory". (Look at the black on Sideswipe's chest.) I have not done this, as the idea of a paintless custom appeals too much to ruin the idea.

Spinout, (red Sunstreaker) is a bit trickier. His license plate will still be specific to Sideswipe. If you have the motor-skills, it might be worth painting over and re-lettering. (I lack the hands and eyes needed to do this well. Use your discretion when making the decision to attempt this.) Note: Do not paint Spinout's ears red. The original "Red Sunstreaker" had yellow ears, just like "normal" Sunstreaker.

Dom
-made a Deepcover, and has been meaning to type up a custom Spinout profile.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: figure modification

Post by Onslaught Six »

You could also do some swapping so that Sunstreaker has red shoulders and Spinout has yellow ones. This makes no sense for Spinout, who always had red shoulders, but the yellow could provide a fun contrast.

If I nab Henkei Sunstreaker for Christmas, then I'll definitely be doing this, but if not then I guess I'll pass.

I want Red Alert.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

BWP posted, (in the haul's thread):
It's worth noting that I (and '86, if I recall) plan on swapping around all of the grey and white parts between my Spinout and Tigertrack to help differentiate them a bit more. I'm also probably going to paint Spinout's ears red anyway, for the same reason, if not just because I think it'll look better. Need to get some Autobot symbol stickers too.

Hey Dom, I understand not being able to paint Sideswipe's liscense plate (I know I couldn't), but why not just print out some decals to put over it? I totally plan on giving my Spinout a vanity plate (especially as 'Spinout' is seven characters, aka: proper liscense plate length).
It's worth noting that I (and '86, if I recall) plan on swapping around all of the grey and white parts between my Spinout and Tigertrack to help differentiate them a bit more. I'm also probably going to paint Spinout's ears red anyway, for the same reason, if not just because I think it'll look better. Need to get some Autobot symbol stickers too.

Hey Dom, I understand not being able to paint Sideswipe's liscense plate (I know I couldn't), but why not just print out some decals to put over it? I totally plan on giving my Spinout a vanity plate (especially as 'Spinout' is seven characters, aka: proper liscense plate length).
I like the idea of swapping the white and grey bits between the two figures. The only problem is that there are a few white pieces in the bodies that would be very difficult to remove without the corrent tools and skills. (I have my Deepcover handy at my work desk, so I can check right now.) If anybody does do this, be wary of stripping both the screws and the shafts they lodge in, at least on Sideswipe's legs. The upper legs consist of 3 layered pieces. They must be held firmly together both while the screw is being taken out, and being put back in. I had to glue one of Deepcover's legs back together, as the screw would just not hold.

The idea of using labels for the license plates is a good one.

Dom
-should have thought of the label idea sooner.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

The only really hard ones are the headplates and the slider piece underneath the front of the car. I've just superficially swapped the appendages at this stage, which does look pretty good. Shall get around to tidying them up with paint and whatnot later.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I will not be swapping the grey and white pieces as I would rather avoid the disaster I am pretty sure would ensue were I to try.

Dom
-going to write up Spinout's profile.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

It really does look a lot better, I'd highly recommend doing so. If you're having as much trouble with stripping screws as your recent posts would indicate, I'd honestly suggest buying a better screwdriver..
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Yes, I'm with 86. I tore apart Sunstreaker's legs easy-peasy for an experiment the other day, and they're fine. Came right apart as one would expect them to, no stripping. It's definitely your screwdriver. >.>
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It works fine with GI Joe figures.

There is also the question of taking apart the bodies, which look to be held together with rivets, presenting all new difficulties.

Dom
-needs to get cracking on some Joes.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

If it's stripping screws on TFs frequently, though, I'd still consider swapping it out.

And yeah, rivets are a bitch. Not sure how I'll deal with that if/when I go ahead and do these. I need Henkei Sunstreaker first to use as my Default Sunstreaker, and if I don't get him for Christmas then doing this is probably out entirely.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Why not snag another US Sunstreaker? (I would do this before Christmas of course.)

Dom
-tempted by Henkei Prowl, for the modified roof-lights.