Are the repaints lacking?

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: Are the repaints lacking?

Post by andersonh1 »

I wasn't very impressed with Blaster until I actually saw one in-package. I might actually be tempted, despite the fact that I didn't like the mold when it was colored as Soundwave. For some reason, the Blaster colors just look better, and I'm getting a pretty strong nostalgia vibe off of it, despite the fact that it's some weird stealth bomber rather than a boombox.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That mold is awful. Read older reviews of Soundwave before you buy it.

Dom
-thought that bird was blue at first. Dunno why.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I'd not call it awful, the aesthetic and clever engineering on the guns and minions impress. The kibble's less fortunate, and the transformation is not graceful at all. Alt. mode's just kind of 'there', as the bomb-dropping gimmick's not particularly interesting. But still, dismissing it quite that outright is something I can't do.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Not all the reviews are unfavorable. Dave van Doleman liked Soundwave quite a bit, IIRC.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

And, for what it's worth, my review of him back in the day was pretty enthusiastic.

I still love that crazy-lookin' toy.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

My big problem is that it does not fit together well in vehicle mode, and the larger toy is completely over-shadowed by the bird-drone. I like Minicons and such, but they should not beat the larget toys that easily.

Also, why the heck is the drone a (one-use) bomb? Great idea there.....

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:My big problem is that it does not fit together well in vehicle mode
Sure, if you fail at it. I did not, and I am awesome.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am in good company though. Apparently, Soundwave is so hard he ain't fun.

Dom
-hates "massage the parts" as a step.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

It's not that he's 'hard', it's that the arm arrangement is not especially intuitive. There's several different ways they could go together, and only one that works. Doesn't help that the tolerances for the Galaxy Force version and Soundblaster are apparently off, and the cockpit will pop apart. Anyone having the same issue with Blaster at all?

I can see kamikazi drones working alright if they're in great enough numbers. And as Soundwave himself seemed to be a drone model, I can see it working well enough if they caused extensive damage.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

onslaught86 wrote:It's not that he's 'hard', it's that the arm arrangement is not especially intuitive. There's several different ways they could go together, and only one that works. Doesn't help that the tolerances for the Galaxy Force version and Soundblaster are apparently off, and the cockpit will pop apart. Anyone having the same issue with Blaster at all?
Once I get everything properly lined up (which takes a bit of effort, I won't lie) it holds together just fine, and doesn't look half-bad, in my opinion. Of course, I opt to mostly keep him in robot mode, and this could be a subliminal effect of the amount of Rubiks-ing it takes to get the cockpit together properly. It's not a *fun* transformation, to be sure, but it's doable, and the result is worth it, if you ask me.