Powerglide! Bombshell!

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Powerglide! Bombshell!

Post by Dominic »

PeeGee isn't strictly necessary for 'assembling' Superion. His gun mode's more of a bonus, really only a 'part' of Superion in that Hasbro tells you Superion should be holding this big, extra, Powerglide-shaped gun. But the big guy hardly looks incomplete without him, not in the same way, say, Menasor does without his Blackjackchestplate.
Powerglide is part of that "set" though. Yes, Hasbro said its a set. But, that is enough to make it a set.

Powerglide does work well enough alone. I like that fact that it is modern toy using an old character model, similar to Scooop (if we discount the Target Master guns being different).

I'm more excited for that figure than I reasonably should be, just on concept. You hear that it's officially a troop-builder now?
Where did it come out that Viper is a troop-builder?

I like the concept. Of the 5 or 6 established TF/Joe continuities, Viper could easily fit in one or two of them.

On the other hand, if Scioli ends up using Viper, that might be enough to kill my interest in that figure.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:Powerglide is part of that "set" though. Yes, Hasbro said its a set. But, that is enough to make it a set.
Hasbro also said that Drag Strip is a component of Superion, but we all know that's a crock. Needing Powerglide to 'complete' Superion is only an issue if you have major OCD or some other behavioral disorder.
Where did it come out that Viper is a troop-builder?
Saw this while on his wiki page, though I coulda sworn there was an actual citation for it:

"When introduced at Toy Fair 2015, Viper was said to be a "generic" style Transformer – not technically a drone, but a design a lot of different, independently-sentient guys share, like the Omnicons in the Energon cartoon. This characterization is intended to facilitate fans army-building Viper, recalling the Cobra Viper that is his namesake."
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I don't know why people are saying Hasbro is somehow pushing Dragstrip as part of Superion. It's just to emphasize the scramble city thing and also the fact that Dragstrip is in the first wave.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:I don't know why people are saying Hasbro is somehow pushing Dragstrip as part of Superion. It's just to emphasize the scramble city thing and also the fact that Dragstrip is in the first wave.
He's right there on the back of all the Aerialbots' boxes, saying you use him to build Superion! It's not "Collect all five to build some no-name scrambled Combiner!", it's Drag Strip all up ins.

I mean, obviously the core reason they're doin' it is to push the Scramblin' thing, and obviously it's because Drag Strip is in the first wave with everyone else, but they're still doin' it, and it's silly.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:I don't know why people are saying Hasbro is somehow pushing Dragstrip as part of Superion. It's just to emphasize the scramble city thing and also the fact that Dragstrip is in the first wave.
He's right there on the back of all the Aerialbots' boxes, saying you use him to build Superion! It's not "Collect all five to build some no-name scrambled Combiner!", it's Drag Strip all up ins.

I mean, obviously the core reason they're doin' it is to push the Scramblin' thing, and obviously it's because Drag Strip is in the first wave with everyone else, but they're still doin' it, and it's silly.
The diagram on the back of the boxes doesn't actually say anything about using Drag Strip to build "Superion" though... It just shows 5 figures and a diagram of a combine form with the words "Build-Assemble Construye-Construa" above it. I'd have to agree with O6, their intention there seems to be to show the interchangeability of the figures by substituting one figure of the team, without intending that to mean Drag Strip is part of Superion. All the official art of Superion shows the correct team members.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I can see how it would be a bit confusing. The drawn diagram on the back does show Drag Strip as the right arm of Superion and the bots shown underneath it show Drag Strip listed as number 1 of the set. On the left side of the bubble however, there is a pic of Menasor and underneath that is says 1 of 5 and beneath that, Menasor. And almost as if to directly contradict that, above that sticker is one showing an all aerialbot Superion but the front of the bubble on that same sticker (it wraps around) still lists Drag Strip as number one of that set. I'm now interested to see how the bots for wave two will be listed.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

It should be noted, the Stunticon boxes also lists Drag Strip as #1 on the diagram, but unlike the Aerialbots, it only has the Stunticons. So it is a bit odd Dragstrip would be listed on both boxes. But still, it goes to show the limbs are interchange between combiners.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:
JediTricks wrote:As for that quote there, who are you quoting? I didn't say anything of the sort, I said they peeked out - and they do, unless you truly do have a different toy not from the Combiner Wars line in your hands.
Bombshell: [...] I do wish the head moved, but I understand why it doesn't.
Could you explain it? Because it seems to be about cheapness, the panel on the back of the head would not fully hinder movement.
It was a vague referrence to your comment, obviously not an exact quote, but I just don't feel that it's quite as exaggerated on mine as it seems to be on yours. As for Bombshell, that's pretty much par for the course for Bombshell toys, the G1 version's head didn't turn either and it didn't feel cheap. Besides, most of the figures at this scale don't have heads that turn: Swerve, Windcharger/Tailgate, Bombshell...
It's not a question of "exaggerated", either Powerglide's eyes are slightly visible from the side in alt mode or they aren't, and they are by design to allow clearance for the rest of the face.

Par for the course on Bombshell toys??? There's only been one prior, a 30-year-old mold of a mech, not a character. If TF can't do better than it did 30 years ago, it should close up shop. And your list of "most" of the figures at this scale that don't have turning heads is 1 other figure, Swerve, since Tailgate can. There are I think a couple more, but they are older molds in the series, and not the norm.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Sparky Prime wrote:The diagram on the back of the boxes doesn't actually say anything about using Drag Strip to build "Superion" though... It just shows 5 figures and a diagram of a combine form with the words "Build-Assemble Construye-Construa" above it. I'd have to agree with O6, their intention there seems to be to show the interchangeability of the figures by substituting one figure of the team, without intending that to mean Drag Strip is part of Superion. All the official art of Superion shows the correct team members.
Shockwave wrote:I can see how it would be a bit confusing. The drawn diagram on the back does show Drag Strip as the right arm of Superion and the bots shown underneath it show Drag Strip listed as number 1 of the set. On the left side of the bubble however, there is a pic of Menasor and underneath that is says 1 of 5 and beneath that, Menasor. And almost as if to directly contradict that, above that sticker is one showing an all aerialbot Superion but the front of the bubble on that same sticker (it wraps around) still lists Drag Strip as number one of that set. I'm now interested to see how the bots for wave two will be listed.
Turns out I can't read!

Fair enough, I can admit when I'm wrong. A consequence of not paying nearly as much attention to the packaging as I once did (When I was a kid, I went over all the text and information on TF boxes with a fine-toothed comb, taking in everything. Nowadays I just kinda glance over them before I chuck them in the trash.). I think I only noticed the Drag-Strip-on-Superion thing in the first place because Thew pointed it out in his Silverbolt review.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:
Shockwave wrote:
JediTricks wrote:As for that quote there, who are you quoting? I didn't say anything of the sort, I said they peeked out - and they do, unless you truly do have a different toy not from the Combiner Wars line in your hands.
Bombshell: [...] I do wish the head moved, but I understand why it doesn't.
Could you explain it? Because it seems to be about cheapness, the panel on the back of the head would not fully hinder movement.
It was a vague referrence to your comment, obviously not an exact quote, but I just don't feel that it's quite as exaggerated on mine as it seems to be on yours. As for Bombshell, that's pretty much par for the course for Bombshell toys, the G1 version's head didn't turn either and it didn't feel cheap. Besides, most of the figures at this scale don't have heads that turn: Swerve, Windcharger/Tailgate, Bombshell...
It's not a question of "exaggerated", either Powerglide's eyes are slightly visible from the side in alt mode or they aren't, and they are by design to allow clearance for the rest of the face.

Par for the course on Bombshell toys??? There's only been one prior, a 30-year-old mold of a mech, not a character. If TF can't do better than it did 30 years ago, it should close up shop. And your list of "most" of the figures at this scale that don't have turning heads is 1 other figure, Swerve, since Tailgate can. There are I think a couple more, but they are older molds in the series, and not the norm.
I can see the sides of his face, but not his eyes specifically so make of that what you want. As for Bombshell, I like him. It's a good update and better than the original so if someone out there wants a Bombshell that doesn't suck, they should get this one.
BWprowl wrote:
Sparky Prime wrote:The diagram on the back of the boxes doesn't actually say anything about using Drag Strip to build "Superion" though... It just shows 5 figures and a diagram of a combine form with the words "Build-Assemble Construye-Construa" above it. I'd have to agree with O6, their intention there seems to be to show the interchangeability of the figures by substituting one figure of the team, without intending that to mean Drag Strip is part of Superion. All the official art of Superion shows the correct team members.
Shockwave wrote:I can see how it would be a bit confusing. The drawn diagram on the back does show Drag Strip as the right arm of Superion and the bots shown underneath it show Drag Strip listed as number 1 of the set. On the left side of the bubble however, there is a pic of Menasor and underneath that is says 1 of 5 and beneath that, Menasor. And almost as if to directly contradict that, above that sticker is one showing an all aerialbot Superion but the front of the bubble on that same sticker (it wraps around) still lists Drag Strip as number one of that set. I'm now interested to see how the bots for wave two will be listed.
Turns out I can't read!

Fair enough, I can admit when I'm wrong. A consequence of not paying nearly as much attention to the packaging as I once did (When I was a kid, I went over all the text and information on TF boxes with a fine-toothed comb, taking in everything. Nowadays I just kinda glance over them before I chuck them in the trash.). I think I only noticed the Drag-Strip-on-Superion thing in the first place because Thew pointed it out in his Silverbolt review.
I didn't notice all of that either until Sparky mentioned it and I decided to look since I literally still had the packaging right next to me.