Generations Beast-era figures, ranked

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Generations Beast-era figures, ranked

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:How can you look at these and say they're anything remotely 'creative'? All he did was copy down the cartoon designs, verbatim. I don't see that he even gave any thought to how these things would actually work and be engineered as toys, it's absurd. Obviously something happened at the engineering level where some legitimate work and effort was expended on Rattrap and Rhinox, but with Waspinator they just went and followed his copies of the cartoon control art. Ridiculous, did he even try? Anyone who draws BW fanart could have produced those 'designs'!
I thought you were the one making the argument that these figures were supposed to be 'creative interpretations'. I've been saying all along that the designers were going for show accuracy (which still takes creativity to pull off so well). And those designs are not verbatim copies of the show designs at all. I don't see how you can claim he didn't put thought into the engineering when those deviations from the show model are the direct result of him looking at how to make the design work in toy form. Clearly some elements changed during the development, but it still clearly shows he was putting thought into these figures and how they'd transform.
Animal heads for TF chests happen as often as car hoods for chests, there's nothing wrong with that. But when you copy down a specific technical detail from the show model without understand or acknowledging why it was there in the first place, it comes off as shallow and lazy, and that *bothers* me.
There's nothing wrong with a little variation on that concept either. Just because the original toy needed the head to split down the middle for the mutant head gimmick doesn't mean they should just change that for the new figure. Woo, yet another figure with a full beast mode head for the chest, yeah that's so creative and not at all lazy. What about the aesthetic of having it be a little bit different from all those figures?