QC: Sideswipe?

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: QC: Sideswipe?

Post by Gomess »

Onslaught Six wrote:Also, everything G has ever said about girls has been right so far, so I trust his judgement.
And I'm prouder of that than I am of having a degree in Creative Writing & Media Studies!

*Notices everyone on TV is wearing poppies, and that their clocks are an hour behind his*
AAARGH BRITAIN WHY DON'T YOU WARN ME ABOUT THESE THINGS??

Anyway, as I've said in a previous thread, Transfans are the hottest nerds there are. We're just generally more attractive than the Star Trek-only crowd. And anime fans are too broad a spectrum; we are focused, centralised, passable human beings. =D
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Like 86 says, you just... Be. Go around, do your thing, and... that's it. If you change your behaviour specifically to meet someone, then that's not really *you* they'll be meeting, is it?
S'right. Prowl, whether it feels like you're just thinking it to make yourself feel better or not, people that judge you for who you are are not worth your time or energy. Say it with me now.
Spending too much time worrying about not getting girls is a surefire way to not get girls. One has to find a sense of self-contentment first.
I've never wanted to be with someone who I'd met in a pub, because I don't like pubs. =p
The love of live music factor has drawn me to various places at various times, but I am so so very over skanky metal girls right now. :/
..Discussing relationships =/= Sideswipe's quality control?
Heh, but to some extent, we're discussing why we're discussing Sideswipe's quality control instead of being somewhere else, cooking MEAT on a BARBECUE with FLAMES while drinking BEER with HOT BABES and talking about THAT POPULAR LOCAL SPORTS TEAM.
Well sure, if said guy is *attractive*. Like I said, I've got that "Begging for a restraining order" look going on
Well, now, that summons several questions. Firstly, you don't consider yourself attractive? Then what 'do' you consider attractive? And what do you think the kind of girl you'd like would consider attractive? Find out what you' change about yourself to make yourself more attractive in your own eyes rather than those of others, and change it. It's more about the attitude than anything else, although basic personal hygeine and a non-generic sense of style kinda help if you're looking to find nice-smelling interesting females. Har.
I dunno, you could go back. I know I'm tired of listening to me whine. Sorry, I've just been in Depression Mode for the last couple weeks, and I lost my instruction sheet, so I don't know how to get back into Jocular Mode.
A winner is you! Transforms From Depressed to Jocular..And Back! Finding a girl will not solve your problems, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll find a girl. Heh heh heh.
Also, everything G has ever said about girls has been right so far, so I trust his judgement.
Good times! Indeed.

I'm always amused by how non-nerdy most of us look, really.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

onslaught86 wrote:Finding a girl will not solve your problems
Quite right. A happy relationship is the End; not the Means. I've been a "problem solver" for insecure girls before, and it doesn't help EITHER party. You gotta love yourself (NOT LIKE THAT (but practice can't hurt!)) before you can expect someone else to...

But don't take it too far. No girl I've EVER known has found arrogance attractive (in a stranger, anyway; once you're happy with someone, you should both be able to be as cocky as you want), but 90% of them, whether they'd admit it or not, respect some self-assuredness. I think I've met *one* girl who was attracted to "birds with broken wings" as she called them, but pathos is generally not a nice smell.

*Ponders how the TF Views Crew would look Hitting The Town* Ahee hee hee.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Okay, the laughs you guys have provided alone here have helped me feel better.
Gomess wrote:You gotta love yourself (NOT LIKE THAT (but practice can't hurt!))
See, like that. Thanks for that, seriously.

On the whole attractiveness thing, the main reason I'm under the impression that I'm unattractive is that I've never had a girl approach/hit on me. *Ever*. That said, I've been seriously considering cutting the hair lately, it's just been turning into more of a pointlessly curly, tangled mess as it's been growing out. Plus I'd be able to do more stuff with it, so. My other personal beef is with my nose, but short of plastic surgery, I'll probably just need to accept that one.

Anyway, at least I'm not anti-social to the point of friendlessness, so I just need to keep looking on that brighter side. So I'll always have to cool people to talk with about what BS the Code Geass finale was, or how cool that random Tom Waits song is, or how I wasn't joking when I said there was a 'G1.5' of Transformers and now in return you can tell me something I didn't know about Warhammer.

On the subject that started this whol subject, the (male) cashier that I paid for Mola Ram at Target agreed that it was one of the most hilariously awesome toys ever, and conceded that he'd been wanting one as well. Not feeling laughed at walking out of a department store was certainly nice.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gomess wrote:*Ponders how the TF Views Crew would look Hitting The Town* Ahee hee hee.
TF Views Crew! That is such a cool and awesome name that we are using it forever, even if we go elsewhere or somesuch.
BWprowl wrote:On the whole attractiveness thing, the main reason I'm under the impression that I'm unattractive is that I've never had a girl approach/hit on me. *Ever*.
Neither have I. That's a non-issue for me, though, I don't generally expect them to anyway. Getting hit on is not a good indicator of If You Are Attractive in the first place anyway, as that just shows you can attract shallow chicks who merely look at appearance. Ask the various ladies whom you are stuck permanently in the Friend Zone with if you're attractive, and have them answer 'honestly'--if they're worth keeping around at all, you probably won't even have to specify that--and you'll generally get a range of good answers.

Of course, different women have different tastes. My last ex-girlfriend (and the first I've ever had any real-life experience with <.<) absoloutely 'hated' the flannel. But the one I'm clinging to now adores it. And thieved it the one day to wear to bed. That harlot.
Anyway, at least I'm not anti-social to the point of friendlessness, so I just need to keep looking on that brighter side. So I'll always have to cool people to talk with about what BS the Code Geass finale was, or how cool that random Tom Waits song is, or how I wasn't joking when I said there was a 'G1.5' of Transformers and now in return you can tell me something I didn't know about Warhammer.
G1.5 really is a BS term anyway. It's just the Euro shit that came out after Hasbro US ceased production, some of which was later released as the earliest of G2 products.
On the subject that started this whol subject, the (male) cashier that I paid for Mola Ram at Target agreed that it was one of the most hilariously awesome toys ever, and conceded that he'd been wanting one as well. Not feeling laughed at walking out of a department store was certainly nice.
See? Sometimes you run into dudes like that. I remember when I bought the discounted Deep Space Starscream, the guy asked me if there were any left because he was planning on picking one up after he got off work. I said there were only two or three left so I'd recommend hiding it or otherwise ensuring he'd have one by the end of the shift.

Also, I always direct girls to my MySpace because it's probably the single greatest thing I've ever written about myself. It is 'so cool.'
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

My oldest friend's nose is bent at like a 30-degree angle, and he's still going out with one of the generally-regarded-as-toppest-girls known to my old hometown's social circle. She's totally nuts, too, but most people don't know her well enough to know that.

My oldest friend is also a semi-professional BMXer with an artistic streak (read: surrealism) who isn't afraid to suddenly scream at the top of his lungs if he's bored, and then shrug it off. And he's short. Go figure! My hometown's so sleepy it must give our gals weird taste.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I run around campus in a $2 Batman mask that my brother stole from Wal-Mart and yell obscenities.

At 2 AM.

Girls dig me.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

All that stuff depends entirely on What You Want, anyways. Any fool can go out and Get Laid. But if you want someone who you can play robots and discuss manga with, you're just gonna need to live your life. It takes MORE effort to get a quick short-term ultimately disappointing thrill, IMO.

Just as a point of contention, (in contrast to me generally agreeing with this thread, despite it being way the heck off topic), it is easier to get into a short-term, and generally non-rewarding, thing than a good long-term one.

I could blunder into any number of relationships that I would be utterly miserable in. That is easy. I know one guy who made that his business model until one blew up in his face so disasterously that he finally learned. (And, I doubt he will forget his folly, at least for 18 years.)

The problem with finding someone with common interests, if you define "interests" as "TFs and related/simiiar topics", is that the hobby is very solitary. Yeah, group toy-hunts and conventions and forums are social, but at the end of the day, toys can be, and often are, enjoyed alone. The trick is to expand interests. (I am pretty sure O6's successes have more to do with his band than with his toys.)

A hobby based on consumption is not as attractive as a hobby based on buiding.

I also have what I like to call the "that guy" look. (I actually took a series of pictures playing to this for my blog, but the file got lost.) Despite looking like "that guy", especially when I am in a trench-coat, I have had girls hit on me. Confidence, or at least the perception of it, is a big part of that. The last few years have completely destroyed me, and my confidence. So, I have fewer prospects. But, even then, there have been some girls that have "hit on me". The problem is partly age. (The younger they are, the more wary I am. Legality is not an issue, but there are moral and practical considerations partly relating to the "easier to find trouble that Gomess seems to think" point above.)

The confidence issue is double-edged. Not only does it influence how others will see you, (including through things like body-language and even pheremones), but how you see others approaching you. It is entirely possible that you are *missing* signals because you are in such a funk. (Working in adult ed, I have had to train myself to *completely* ignore signals, even from prospects I would find legitimately attractive.) In other words, girls may be hitting on you and you may be missing it.

Where/when are you at your best, and how can you mix that with meeting girls that you can get what you want from? (If you want a one nighter, be honest about it. If you want a long-term thing, focus on that.)

You could have a complete and utter basket case practically doing "fuck-me" bows, (the technical term is "presenting"), for you. Now, that may not do much for your confidence at first, (and you might not even notice if she does not appeal to you). Why would you want that, right? But, ask yourself what made you attractive, (on some levels), to her, and how you can leverage that with a more appealling prospect? The last girl to show real interest in me, (in my currenty deflated state), was 10+ years my junior. Needless to say, I did not return the attention. (I was nice, but did not return signals.) I figure she was attracted to the fact I am a nice guy, and have definite plans, if not great success at the moment.

Dom
-agrees that "hitting the town" would be...interesting.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

You should probably all ignore my advice, really; I've been with the same girl for over four years, I'm practically an old married fella! What I can remember about being single wouldn't fill a thimble.

Gotta lol a little at "if you define "interests" as "TFs and related/simiiar topics"", though, Dom; what WOULD you define as interests, if not that? Or do you judge potential partners based only on income and childbearing capacity? X]

And hey, as for whether short-term or long-term is easier to get into depends on so many variables it'd be pointless me going into it. But, from my perspective, and the way I do things, my point still stands. Taking *everything* related to the act into account, getting into a REAL relationship is a LOT easier, IMO. But hey, maybe I'm just wacky that way.

-Go "Thankful He Stopped Wearing a Trenchcoat Before It Got Kewl" Mess
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:Just as a point of contention, (in contrast to me generally agreeing with this thread, despite it being way the heck off topic), it is easier to get into a short-term, and generally non-rewarding, thing than a good long-term one.
Yes indeed. And it's primarily why, when I do end up single, there's long stretches of time inbetween. I 'do' want something worthwhile and long-lasting. The trick is finding someone else who wants that too, and can provide it.
The problem with finding someone with common interests, if you define "interests" as "TFs and related/simiiar topics", is that the hobby is very solitary. Yeah, group toy-hunts and conventions and forums are social, but at the end of the day, toys can be, and often are, enjoyed alone. The trick is to expand interests. (I am pretty sure O6's successes have more to do with his band than with his toys.)
Well, partially it's the fact that I enjoy anime/manga and video games, since those're primarily what the girlfriend is into, and that's where I met her anyway. Indeed, she has not shown any particular interest in TF, although she's well aware of the fact that I buy toys and have many of them, and isn't offended by this, which is the big point.

And yeah, the band seemingly helped a bit because it gave me multiple ins to start talking to her in the courting stages ("Here! Listen to this thing I just made!") but also because, it turns out, she plays piano and crap, and actually 'has musical knowledge' and talent and shit. Heeey.
The confidence issue is double-edged. Not only does it influence how others will see you, (including through things like body-language and even pheremones), but how you see others approaching you. It is entirely possible that you are *missing* signals because you are in such a funk. (Working in adult ed, I have had to train myself to *completely* ignore signals, even from prospects I would find legitimately attractive.) In other words, girls may be hitting on you and you may be missing it.
This is partially why I ask these kind of things. Not only does it legit clarify whether or not she is hitting on you, but it plays into my Awkward Naive But Well-Meaning Guy persona that I seemingly put on around women. It's not that I'm 'different,' mind, that's just generally how I act around chicks. Plus, it gets a laugh just about every time.

"...Wait, just so we're clear, you're hitting on me, right?"
I figure she was attracted to the fact I am a nice guy, and have definite plans, if not great success at the moment.
Bingo, that's the big thing. If women see that you are a Nice Guy and you have some kind of handle on your actual life, then they will probably find you more attractive. At least, the ones who are 'looking' for those kind of things will, and those are the kind of girls you should probably be going after anyway.
Gomess wrote:And hey, as for whether short-term or long-term is easier to get into depends on so many variables it'd be pointless me going into it. But, from my perspective, and the way I do things, my point still stands. Taking *everything* related to the act into account, getting into a REAL relationship is a LOT easier, IMO. But hey, maybe I'm just wacky that way.
The awkward bit comes into when you stop just being Friends with some chick and the bit where Now You're Dating and romantically involved and stuff. And this is probably the big key--you really do need to have that Friends thing going on first, if even for a short while. I'd talked to and associated with Emily for about a month or two in vague quantities before we traded MSN names and started really hanging out together. And then it was about a week before she was making out with me in the street at 10 PM.
-Go "Thankful He Stopped Wearing a Trenchcoat Before It Got Kewl" Mess
You guys in trenchcoats are suckers. I'm sticking with the leather jacket.