Hasbro's IDW G toys don't match IDW comics,what's the point?

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Hasbro's IDW G toys don't match IDW comics,what's the point?

Post by Tigermegatron »

Hasbro's IDW Generations toys don't match the IDW TF comics drawn art designs,what's the point?

Most of the IDW TF Generations toys designs don't match the IDW TF comics art designs.

Examples below:
1- Hasbro's IDW Generations toy for bumblebe has a alt mode that transforms into a sports car that looks like a camaro. In the IDW TF comics,when Bumblebee got his upgraded body,his alt mode looked more like a Hummer offroad vehicle. I'm referring to the Alt mode bumblebee used in the 2011 on-going TF IDW comics.

2- that Hasbro IDW Generations toy design for Orion Pax is basically a new design in both modes that Hasbro created. The IDW TF comics art never drew anything that looked like this toy.

3- Hasbro's IDW Hoist & Trailcutter toys look nothing like the IDW TF comics art.

4- Hasbro's upcoming IDW toys for Doubledealer,Skids & Whirl look nothing like their IDW TF comics art designs.
Last edited by Tigermegatron on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Hasbro's IDW G toys don't match IDW comics,what's the po

Post by Sparky Prime »

Um... For the most part I'd have to say the figures based on the IDW designs look fairly accurate.
Tigermegatron wrote:1- Hasbro's IDW Generations toy for bumblebe has a alt mode that transforms into a sports car that looks like a camaro. In the IDW TF comics,when Bumblebee got his upgraded body,his alt mode looked more like a Hummer offroad vehicle.
A Hummer? That's not what that version of Bumblebee was. He was actually based on a Dodge Challenger.
2- that Hasbro IDW Generations toy design for Orion Pax is basically a new design in both modes that Hasbro created. The IDW TF comics art never drew anything that looked like this toy.
No, that form for Orion Pax did appear in IDW's comics. It was a design by Guido Guidi which appeared in Spotlight: Blurr and later in Spotlight: Orion Pax, where they explained it was a temporary body he was using for a brief time.
3- Hasbro's IDW Hoist & Trailcutter toys look nothing like the IDW TF comics art.
I wouldn't say Trailcutter looks nothing like the IDW version. The influence is clearly present at least. I think the toy just isn't as detailed to perfectly match Alex Milne's design of the character. Hoist on the other hand, I'd agree. He was designed to be more distinctive from Trailcutter, so the toy being a retool of Trailcutter is not as accurate to what Hoist looks like in the comic.
4- Hasbro's upcoming IDW toys for Doubledealer,Skids & Whirl look nothing like their IDW TF comics art designs.
Doubledealer seems to be a case of Hasbro simply reusing molds. I don't believe they meant for it to look like the IDW version of the character. Whirl appears to be based more on the G1 version of the character rather than the IDW version. But Skids... What do you mean it looks nothing like the IDW version? It looks a lot like the IDW version.