Nike "Calvin Johnson"Generations Deluxe Megatron Redeco pics

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Nike "Calvin Johnson"Generations Deluxe Megatron Redeco pics

Post by Tigermegatron »

Nike "Calvin Johnson"Generations Deluxe Megatron Redeco pics.
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... eco/28368/

I'm thinking this will be a NYCC 2013 Hasbro convention exclusive.

Clearly the majority of On-line fans will dub this toy a Galvatron repaint. The chances of a not-TF 3rd party company creating a galvatron styled new head is incredibly high.

I just don't see this toy being sold at all the USA mass retail stores. it's either a convention exclusive or on-line exclusive or store exclusive.

It's a shame this toy wasn't voyager or ultra sized. I hate it when the cool awesome sculpted molds get the tiny toy sizes while the awful ugly sculpted TF toys get the bigger toy sizes like voyager,ultra,leader,ultimate.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Re: Nike "Calvin Johnson"Generations Deluxe Megatron Redeco

Post by Mako Crab »

Nice Cyclonus repaint. ;)
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

While I like this mold, I'm not a big fan of Johnson or the Lions, though I admit that him and Nike partnering up to make an actual 'Megatron' toy based on him is kinda clever. Color scheme's not great though, I'd like it better if it were in actual Lions colors, I think.

Actually, I am kinda torn. The toy doesn't look terrific, and is far from being based on my favorite anything from the NFL (though I supposed a 49er/Colin Kaepernick-inspired Orion Pax is probably a long way off), but the idea of an NFL-based Transformer at all, and an actual Calvin-Johnson-as-Megatron toy, is too amusing a novelty to fully dismiss. Guess I'll see how much it is/how hard it is to come by.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

BWprowl wrote:While I like this mold, I'm not a big fan of Johnson or the Lions, though I admit that him and Nike partnering up to make an actual 'Megatron' toy based on him is kinda clever. Color scheme's not great though, I'd like it better if it were in actual Lions colors, I think.

Actually, I am kinda torn. The toy doesn't look terrific, and is far from being based on my favorite anything from the NFL (though I supposed a 49er/Colin Kaepernick-inspired Orion Pax is probably a long way off), but the idea of an NFL-based Transformer at all, and an actual Calvin-Johnson-as-Megatron toy, is too amusing a novelty to fully dismiss. Guess I'll see how much it is/how hard it is to come by.
It's certainly a inferior color scheme compared to the mass released version.

At best Fans can pretend it's a Galvatron repaint. those checkered board sneaker highlights on the toy,fans can pretend this is Unicron refortmating megatron into Galvatron like he did in the 1986 movie.----->The odds of a 3rd party not-TF company creating a newer Galvatron sculpted head & weapons for this toy is so extremely high.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Tigermegatron wrote:At best Fans can pretend it's a Galvatron repaint. those checkered board sneaker highlights on the toy,fans can pretend this is Unicron refortmating megatron into Galvatron like he did in the 1986 movie.----->The odds of a 3rd party not-TF company creating a newer Galvatron sculpted head & weapons for this toy is so extremely high.
3rd-party 'upgrade' parts for an exclusive, niche figure like this wouldn't be a very good investment, not enough people would have the base figure to make selling an 'upgrade' kit for it worth it. Not to mention, while you could 'pretend' away the checkerboard designs, Mr. Johnson's autograph on the front there is a little more conspicuous.

And really, there are already several decent Galvatron toys out there, buying an exclusive like this then getting a third-party upgrade kit would be a whole lot of hoo-hah to go through just to end up with what would be a pretty mediocre Galvatron.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I'm not a football guy, myself, so I dunno who Calvin Johnson is. All the same, that toy actually looks pretty neat. If I was inclined to get one, and this color scheme was at retail, it might be the one I went with.

With a Galvatron head it might be a pretty mediocre Galvatron, but hell, it'd still be better than Universe Galvatron, probably.

Now if Hasbro ever wants to team up with the NCAA and make a Kansas Jayhawks-themes toy, that I could get behind. Some bird toy redone in blue with a red head? Man, now I'm wondering if I still have Energon Divebomb and some paints...
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

BWprowl wrote: 3rd-party 'upgrade' parts for an exclusive, niche figure like this wouldn't be a very good investment, not enough people would have the base figure to make selling an 'upgrade' kit for it worth it. Not to mention, while you could 'pretend' away the checkerboard designs, Mr. Johnson's autograph on the front there is a little more conspicuous.
Several low volume TF store exclusives recolors/retools & TF Convention recolors/retools have had 3rd party add-on kits made by these not-TF companies. Since it's been done before,it's plausable it'll keep happening.
BWprowl wrote: Mr. Johnson's autograph on the front there is a little more conspicuous
easy fix,just cover it up with any TF styled stickers you have laying around. the average on-line TF fans has TF stickers laying around.
BWprowl wrote: And really, there are already several decent Galvatron toys out there, buying an exclusive like this then getting a third-party upgrade kit would be a whole lot of hoo-hah to go through just to end up with what would be a pretty mediocre Galvatron.
Then don't buy the 3rd party upgrade kit,it's not really needed as Their are several 2001 Rid & AEC Megatron recolored Galvatron repaints that don't use a retooled head. The toy is a recolored megatron in Purple,regardless if their a 3rd party upgrade kit the majority od the on-line TF fans will dub this the un-official Galvatron repaint. Getting a 3rd party kit is a bonus,the toy doesn't need one to be considered galvatron by the fans.

The Majority of the newer new mold Galvatron toys are complete garbage. Energon Galvatron was a decent sculpt but it was missing key articulated joints. 2.0 Galvatron was too small & it was just a awful mold that suffered in both sculpt,engineering & poseabilty.

The Majority of the 2001 Rid & AEC megatron toys that got recolored into Galvatron weren't even in the 1986 Galvatron toy/cartoon colors. Only Energon Galvatron was in 1986 Cartoon colors.

So given all this above,I fail to see why another (IDW Megatron-Calvin Johnson purple repaint) crappy Galvatron repaint that uses a Megatron mold with or without retooled parts would make a difference.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

We all know how I feel about sports in general and football in particular so this is an easy skip for me.