RiD (off topic)

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Robots in Disguise (IDW G1 ongoing)

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:And, I would rather spend money on a bad TF story than a good story in a franchise that I care nothing about.
I disagree. If I could've gotten back the money I spent on 'The Ascending' at the time and spent it on something related to, say, 'Kamen Rider' (which I hadn't gotten into at that point) I would've been *so* much happier.

I mean, a bad story from a franchise you care about is only going to annoy you more than normal, since you expect said franchise to make you happier (Again, witness my outrage over 'The Ascending'). Conversely, checking out something from something you previously had no interest in, and having it turn out to be good can be one of the most pleasantly surprising experiences you can encounter. Case in point: my experience with the 'Gossip Girl' manga.
I'm not sure that really counts as Kamen Rider is still anime which we all know you love. So even though you weren't into that particular one it's still a genre you have interest in. I guess I mean this in broader terms. For example, I would rather have spent my money on "the Ass-ending" rather than a comic about... say... the 1999 Denver Broncos. I have 0 interest in sports so I'm not gonna waste my money on it regardless of how well it's written. I do however, have an interest in BW and even if the story is bad, I at least still have the basic interest enough to check it out. And be subsequently disappointed by it.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:I'm not sure that really counts as Kamen Rider is still anime which we all know you love. So even though you weren't into that particular one it's still a genre you have interest in.
Actually, it's not. Kamen Rider is a tokusatsu series, which, save for Power Rangers decades ago, I hadn't paid any attention to until I randomly started watching Kamen Rider W a little over a year ago.
I guess I mean this in broader terms. For example, I would rather have spent my money on "the Ass-ending" rather than a comic about... say... the 1999 Denver Broncos. I have 0 interest in sports so I'm not gonna waste my money on it regardless of how well it's written. I do however, have an interest in BW and even if the story is bad, I at least still have the basic interest enough to check it out. And be subsequently disappointed by it.
Okay, looking at it one way, if you held up two comics in front of me that I'd never read, one of them about Beast Wars and the other about Home Improvement, then I'd definitely be inclined to pick the Beast Wars book. But I'd be demonstrably pissed once I got through it, and when the opportunity rolled around again, I'd understandably be less inclined to pick Simon Furman writing Beast Wars over Tim the Tool Man. At least I wouldn't know for *sure* if the Home Improvement book sucked or not.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

I dunno, I'd have to read the Home Improvement one *first*. I'd figure I'd be able to predict the BW one more easily. Less interesting. See, that's how I work.

That said, I know exactly what the HI comic's art would look like. Remember the 90s Power Rangers comic? Ugh, yeah, that.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:When I went to add them to my list, the guy running the shop asked me if I actually wanted to read both, or was simply adding both to my list to avoid anybody working there confusing one for the other.
Here's a thing (and goes for Dom too, moreso maybe): If you're only getting two or three books every month, why bother with a 'pull list' at all? All I do is go to the comic store when the new comics I care about come out, go over to that shelf where they put out that week's new stuff, pick it up with my hands, and take it over to the counter to pay for it. That way, I *know* I'm getting the TF (or otherwise) book I want when it comes out, rather than leaving it up to the comic shop guy to try to differentiate between MTMTE and RID and whatever the heck else. Is this incorrect, have I been doing it wrong all this time? Because I've been getting my comics, and I don't *need* to clarify with the guys at the shop which series I want to read because I'm the one grabbing the comics and buying them for myself in the first place.
Dom nails this one on the head. I showed up the day TMNT #1 came out--sold out. The same with The Death of Optimus Prime. If I want to *guarantee* I get a book, I make sure I get it on my list. That, and my comic shop guys are super-cool about putting things you want in your bag. Also, my comic shop isn't in the same city I work in, but rather the city my girlfriend works in--so there's a very strong chance that I won't actually get a chance to go to the comic shop until several weeks after an early-month book like Mega Man or TF comes out. I don't want to risk showing up and Mega Man has been sold out for two weeks--and if I don't care enough about this book that I can miss an issue and not care too much, why am I buying the floppies instead of waiting for the trades?
Gomess wrote:I dunno, I'd have to read the Home Improvement one *first*. I'd figure I'd be able to predict the BW one more easily. Less interesting. See, that's how I work.

That said, I know exactly what the HI comic's art would look like. Remember the 90s Power Rangers comic? Ugh, yeah, that.
Uuuuuuooooogh? [/Tim Allen]
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Took me an inordinately long time to find this.
But yeah. Like that. Home Improvement comic.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Furman's work has been inconsistent enough that I wouldn't know without reading it if it was going to suck or not. Even his work at IDW has been 50/50. If they made a comic for Home Improvement I'd have to check that out on sheer hilarity. But I guess what I'm really saying here is that, having been a fan of TF for over 25 years the book with the robots already has my attention. Other properties do not. And if the comparison is spending money on, say a Pokemon comic. Well, I hate Pokemon on concept alone. Shakespear himself could resurrect and write Pokemon and I still wouldn't give a fuck. I'd still buy the Furman written BW over that. Yeah, I'd be pissed that it sucked, but it still holds my attention better than Pokemon.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Must just come down to a personality type difference. I *love* getting into new crap, and will use almost any excuse to do so, to the point that many times, I actually don’t have an excuse. This happens all the time, I’ll just, unprovoked, snap and go “Fuck it, I’ve got to watch Reservoir Dogs/Avatar the Last Airbender/Kamen Rider/play Persona 4/League of Legends/Dungeons & Dragons!”. Maybe it’s just my short attention span, and I surely don’t mean any disrespect towards you ShockTrek, since it obviously works for you, but I personally can’t imagine myself getting by on just Transformers and Star Trek for thirty years. There’s way too much awesome stuff out there, and it’s up to me to check everything out until I find it all.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Indeed, there are many franchises that I have at least a passing interest in. For example, I love the Jurassic Park movies--enough that I bought the DVDs of them, and an unproduced GI Joe crossover toy, but other than that I'm pretty good.

Or, hell, RID! The series! I still like RID as much as I ever did, because there's not a disproportionate amount of fanwanky bullshit for it for one, and for two, it was really good! But if IDW did a new RID comic, it wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the original RID. In fact, my enjoyment of the original RID could very well hamper my liking of the new RID--for example, what if they insist "Optimus Prime" is totally a regular Optimus Prime archetype, and not the (slightly) more unique guy Fire Convoy was?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm not quite THAT limited, those are just the two biggest ones and really it's a 4 way tie with Star Wars and He-Man. After that I got GI Joe, Family Guy, Buffy, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, video games, a lot of tv shows and movies and some characters from Marvel and DC. I do sometimes get into new stuff, but I usually have to be prompted into it by someone else. Both Harry Potter and Project Runway are examples of this. I dunno, I guess I'm just saying that if it's something I just know that I'm not going to give a flying fuck about I'd rather spend my money on something that already has my interest. This is why I used the sports example because that just would not interest me at all. Regardless of if everyone said it was great.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

And I can understand that--but I always reserve judgement until I actually experience something.

For example: Homestuck! Prowl, I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about here. Homestuck is a shitty-looking webcomic about I don't know or care what the fuck that a lot of people stupidly, stupidly love for some Godawful reason. (Apparently they've never read a fucking webcomic before? My only explanation.) And everyone kept telling me OH IT'S SO GOOD so I tried to read it. I got like ten pages in and decided this thing sucked ass and wasn't for me. But I tried it. I didn't instantly go, "Homestuck sucks dick," I now have an educated opinion on how bad Homestuck sucks dick.

Of course, people tell me it gets better later, but I don't want to wade through 200+ pages of turds to get to something I only might 'maybe' like.

I guess my point is: Fuck Homestuck.